MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Various Holiday cooks, breaking in the new LBGE... long post with much pr0n.

Whew! The holidays are over, and I need some time to recover. We had some very old friends of ours visiting for the week and their 2yo girl kept us on our toes. She loves 'cue, so I had to step up to the plate.

I brought my new LBGE home about 2 weeks ago, so I was dying to put it to good use. I built a cart for it after I couldn't stand to see it in the box and unassembled.

Started with an overnight pork butt. Rubbed with SM Sweet and Spicy, 280°F on the egg, and she cruised for about 10hrs. Pulled it when it hit 203°F internal and probed like butter. Coolered for 3-4 hours then pulled. Was mighty tasty with Head Country Hot bbq sauce and Hawaiian King rolls.

Somehow a fatty snuck in, most likely after I pulled the butt off and the egg was still going. I think I got about 14hrs of cooking off of one fill.

Next night we did some cornish hens. Pretty simple - 4 hens, some lemon and rosemary in the cavity, A LOT of garlic (6-8 per bird). On the egg indirect at 450°F for 30mins then decreased the dome temp to 350°F for another 30 mins or so until the thigh read 170°F. The sauce was just awesome garlicky goodness.

It was then time to put the newly repaired UDT through its paces. The following night we fired it up and made some killer chicken and goat kababs, fresh naans from scratch cooked the ol' skool way on the walls of the tandoor. Chicken mughlai and goat korma were cooked inside, but no pics, sice we were too lubricated with more than a few Belgian brews. That's sad, because my friends goat korma is one of the best kormas I had last year. I goofed a bit with the UDT - fired it up with briqs and the temp just didn't get high enough. I have always used lump and so was trying something new this time. Don't think I will ever use briqs again. (My new outdoor lights make so much of a difference when cooking at night now - one set by the pool, and one set by the UDT and pizza oven).

The day before my guests left, we decided to fire up the pizza oven. It is "portable" - no mortar anywhere so if I move I can take it with me (well, that the plan anyway). It is not insulated, is leaky as heck, but it gets the job done and is fun to cook with. We did a margherita pizza, elk sausage, and pepperoni. The dough was homemade by my friend ( I need to get the recipe) and the bufala mozz was excellent (from Costco).

I also learned some things about the egg. The dome temp is pretty close to the temp in the front of the grate (towards the handle). There is a hot spot towards the back of the grate, between the legs of the plate setter, so I will have to be careful when doing things like brisket or ribs to keep the ends from getting burnt. If laid horizontally (side to side) things should be okay.

Wait - i forgot that I did some ribs while the pizza was fired . Untrimmed rack of spares, Smokin' Guns Hot & SM Cherry. on the egg at 300°F for about 3-4hours. When wibs started weeping, I shut the cooker down and let it ride for the last hour so. These were the best ribs I have ever made. The rub was gret and the texture was amazing. I cooked without the daisy wheel top damper (completely off) because I think it adds a layer of unnecessary complexity. Managed temp with just the bottom intake, like I have usually done with my drums and kettles.

I need to make a grate extender to get more cooking area on the egg. If any brethren have any cool mods, I would love to see them.

Lastly, the festvities were sponsored by these fine fellows, and yes it was cold enough in Houston to actually light up the fireplace! The Balvenie was done by the end of the last night.

Thanks for looking!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Everything looks great. The UDT is awesome.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow! Everything looks great, love all your different cookers. If I didn't use the daisy wheel on my XL I think I'd be going nuclear, although I've never tried it.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Nice work.
Do you have a build thread on the Tandoori?
cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
Nice work.
Do you have a build thread on the Tandoori?
cheers.
Titch

You may find the thread about repairs I recently made useful= http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148862. The pics that were missing from the original thread describing the build were posted again at the very end, but the pics in the repair thread are probably more useful in terms of building one. Sorry, I did not take pics of the actual build.

Build one - they are a lot of fun!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Wow! Everything looks great, love all your different cookers. If I didn't use the daisy wheel on my XL I think I'd be going nuclear, although I've never tried it.
I was worried about that too, but couldn't see why it would not work. When I fired the egg up, the bottom intake was open about 1/3rd or even 1/2 of the way. Once I reached the temp i wanted, I only had to have the bottom intake open a crack to maintain temps easily.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

That's like a pr0n festival! I love it!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

everything looks great, love the pizza oven.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Fantastic looking food!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful food. Love the pizza oven.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

Wow, that is some great looking food, nice job!

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
everything looks great, love the pizza oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Beautiful food. Love the pizza oven.

Its no looker, but it works great. Sometimes its just fun to load something up with wood and let it rip. Plus I love the aroma of wood burning.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice setup! Love the pizza!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
You may find the thread about repairs I recently made useful= http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148862. The pics that were missing from the original thread describing the build were posted again at the very end, but the pics in the repair thread are probably more useful in terms of building one. Sorry, I did not take pics of the actual build.

Build one - they are a lot of fun!
That link will do nicely.
My potplant cooker cracked as well,cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Smokey Mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
That link will do nicely.
My potplant cooker cracked as well,cheers.
Titch
Didnt know you had a pot plant cooker Titch ??
Holding somethin back ?
Smokey Mick is offline   Reply With Quote