Ribs on the Egg

H

hammerz_nailz

I tried some ribs this afternoon for my second cook on this egg. Mixed in a little cherry wood and the flavor was excellent.
Both the top vent and the lower vent were just about closed and it maintained about 280 on the dome temp. I'm surprised they had to be closed that much ...maybe I used too much lump.
The temperature didn't budge though for the entire 2-1-1.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Nice looking cook. vents almost closed is what gets you 280. get it a little further closed and you can maintain 250 no problem. If this is you first ceramic, you'll be amazed at how much lump you have left. Just knock off the ash and relight. I'll load the XL and be able to cook all week.

Good looking ribbies, I've been tasked with the pork for next sunday. 32 LBS of pulled and 12 slabs of baby backs. Gonna be a cooking fool.

Beautiful looking ribs!
280 sounds a touch high for barely opened vents - I can easily run 200 on my egg with the top and bottom slivered. You might do the dollar bill test on the gasket to make sure the lid is getting a good seal.

Nice looking cook. vents almost closed is what gets you 280. get it a little further closed and you can maintain 250 no problem. If this is you first ceramic, you'll be amazed at how much lump you have left. Just knock off the ash and relight. I'll load the XL and be able to cook all week.

Good looking ribbies, I've been tasked with the pork for next sunday. 32 LBS of pulled and 12 slabs of baby backs. Gonna be a cooking fool.

You were right about the charcoal use. I hardly used any lump at all for that cook ...and not even enough ash to clean out yet.

Beautiful looking ribs!
280 sounds a touch high for barely opened vents - I can easily run 200 on my egg with the top and bottom slivered. You might do the dollar bill test on the gasket to make sure the lid is getting a good seal.

I tried the dollar bill test and had good resistance all the way around. Re-lit the coals today and kept the bottom vent open about 1/8" -3/16" and the daisy wheel just under halfway. It held steady for several hours at 220.

Definitely a learning curve but when you get this thing at temp it doesn't budge at all. I can't wait to try an overnight.

Wait until you decide that you *need* to get the BBQ Guru... Talk about set it and forget it. Unless I'm doing something weird, I just leave the daisy wheel wide open now.

Nice ribs by the way...

fred

Wait until you decide that you *need* to get the BBQ Guru... Talk about set it and forget it. Unless I'm doing something weird, I just leave the daisy wheel wide open now.

Nice ribs by the way...

fred

Yea I've been intentionally avoiding the BBQ guru google searches.
Probably won't be long though ... :)

Back