MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour unwrapped and mopping with sauce.

If not mopping, you'll see the 3-3 method (dont unwrap)

Baby backs can be more of a 2-2-1 method, cuz you dont want them drying out.

While cooking in smoke first, frequently spray. After 2 hours for bb's or 3 for spares (or when the meat starts to pull back from the bone) wrap in foil. When I wrap, I will spray more into the foil to keep it moist, then wrap. Return to smoke for 2 hours (3 if not mopping) then unwrap for an hour and mop.

We have not used sauce lately, during the smoke, but use Dreamland to dip them in. need to use a fork though, cuz you pick up the bone and the meat falls off :)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2003, 08:36 AM   #17
in2que
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Bill, I will try it this weekend. Doing bb and St Louis style spareribs. Do you have to rotate the ribs (or anything else for that matter) in the Bandera to get even cooking? I have to turn the cooking racks around. Is that normal?

Old 10-08-2003, 08:41 AM   #18
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Mark,

Have you seen habanero jelly around here anywhere ?

Brian
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #19
Bill-Chicago

I in essence do, cuz when I wrap them, I try to remember which way they were in, then put them in the opposite way.

With bbs, I put the thicker end on the heat vent side, just to make sure I don't dry out the thinner end.

look at my last bash pic and you'll see I put one rack one way, and one rack the next to mix them up. X's one shelf height apart.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 10-08-2003, 08:53 AM   #20
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour unwrapped and mopping with sauce
HMMM - I mop just before wrapping in foil, and I thought the last hour was the "cooler trick". Guess whatever works.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 AM   #21
Bill-Chicago

I never unwrap. And I have mopped before hand and got a pretty bad burn. High sugar content in the sauce I used, I guess.

Oh yeah, before you wrap, throw on some pepper jelly. (don't unwrap) TK and the guys at B2 can vouch for how awesome that was

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-08-2003, 09:04 AM   #22
chad

Quote:
HMMM - I mop just before wrapping in foil, and I thought the last hour was the "cooler trick". Guess whatever works.
I'm with TK - I don't usually unwrap so I guess I do 3-2-1(cooler) at least for St. Louis style. Haven't done BBs lately. Actually, it depends on how soon the meat start pulling back from the ends -- when that starts I wrap in foil.

Anyway, they turn out good!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 AM   #23
in2que

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd1958
Mark,

Brian
Hi Brian, can't say that I have. A lot of jalapeno jelly only. I guess we need to make it ourselves? Or maybe on-lone ordering?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #24
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
I never unwrap. And I have mopped before hand and got a pretty bad burn. High sugar content in the sauce I used, I guess.
I've never had them burn but you bring up a good point. Guess the chef needs to be the judge of when to mop based on what mop is used. I was mopping at the 3 hour mark using that Blues Hogs rasberry cumin $hit. That stuff must be loaded with sugar, but I keep my pit temp for ribs on the low end (225 with episodes to 240 or so). I was mopping at 3 hours because I figured the wibs might dry out. I see a lot of benefit mopping at the 5 hour mark, so next time I might just spray them down real well at 3 hours, wrap for 2, then mop and rewrap for the final hour. That last hour doesn't need to be in the cooler. You can simply leave them wrapped in the cook chamber and let your fire die naturally. The ribs will continue to do their magic and be plenty hot after 1+ hours.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #25
Bill-Chicago

I'm hungry for wibs.

gonna break in the WSM with them this weekend

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #26
Oldtimer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2que
Quote:
Mark,

Brian
Hi Brian, can't say that I have. A lot of jalapeno jelly only. I guess we need to make it ourselves? Or maybe on-lone ordering?
Yea Jalapeno is plentiful. Will look for habanero on my next Canton trip to first Monday. With regards to on-line avg is $6 a small jar fark that. I have not seen habanero in stores maybe Central Market ? Could spend several hours in thta place just looking.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #27
in2que

Can you guys recommend a good sprayer? I have problems with anything other than pure thin liquid stopping up the nozzle. Or am I just p*ssing up a rope trying to put thinned down sauce/marinade/oil in there?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #28
in2que

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2que
Quote:
Mark,

Brian
Yea Jalapeno is plentiful. Will look for habanero on my next Canton trip to first Monday. With regards to on-line avg is $6 a small jar fark that. I have not seen habanero in stores maybe Central Market ? Could spend several hours in thta place just looking.
Central market has some great habaneros. I still am producing so I haven't bought any lately, but they had plenty when I went to get those Hatch chiles.

Being on Atkins I am leary of 7 cups of sugar. Put me right into a diabetic/carbohydrate coma :D I prefer an alcohol induced coma.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:00 AM   #29
chad

I made Habanero and Jalapeno Jelly last night - 6 jars of each.

I'll post the recipe I use -- probably here and then in recipes!

About sprayers -- I just use the "universal" sprayers I buy at the local super market - I usually just spray juice/vinegar but I have mixed up NC style spray with juice, salt, and pepper and it sprayed OK -- just had to shake the bottle pretty often.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 10-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #30
chad

Default Pepper Jelly recipe

I got this from my Aunt Fay and it turns out pretty good. As a disclaimer: this recipe is pretty tame, heat wise, just add more hot peppers until you get it as hot as YOU like it! You can adjust the recipe, just keep the ratios the same.

Hot Pepper Jelly

1/4 Cup liquified hot peppers (jalapeno, habanero, etc.)
3/4 Cup liquified bell pepper (I use green but red, yellow, etc. would work)
6 Cups sugar (yeah, 6 Cups -- this is JELLY)
6 oz. of Certo Pectin (or your favorite brand - I use two pouches)
1/4 teaspoon salt
OPTIONAL: food coloring

I can't begin to tell you how many peppers you will need since size, amount of flesh vs. water, etc., all come into play.

For my 12 jars I used:

2.5 green bell peppers (these were large peppers and provided enough liquid for two batches of jelly)

about 3 Jalapenos (for 1 batch/6-7 1/2 pint jars)

and about 4 Habaneros (for 1 batch/6-7 1/2 pint jars)

I measured all of them rough cut into a measuring cup before liquifying and it came out pretty close -- I blend them seperately and then measure out the appropriate amounts into another measureing cup.

Use some of the vinegar to provide a medium for blending you peppers - some fiber and "chunks" are probably desireable since it gives your jelly "character".

After blending: add the vinegar, peppers, sugar, salt to a large non-reactive pot (stainless steel) and bring to a boil. Stir frequently and watch for boil over -- this stuff is like napalm and will stick to your skin and burn you. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes remove the foam or scum, add you 6 oz of Certo and any food coloring. Stir well and let sit for another 10 minutes.

You should have prepped your jars, lids, and rings ahead of time. Have them clean and sterilized :D

Fill the jars with the hot liquid jelly. Put on your lids and rings. Let the jelly set and gel.

Enjoy.