MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #10246
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnKY View Post
My opinion on barrels.........

Many are expressing the opinion that you need a "food grade" barrel.
"Food grade barrels" speaks to the liner in the drum.

I would rather have a drum that had some sort of oil (cooking oil would be my favorite) in it rather than the "remnants" of a burnt off epoxy(?) food grade liner. A food grade drum was safe for food contact with the liner. That does not mean the burnt-off-liner barrel is "food grade" safe. I do agree with the idea that the liner burnt off, the metal sanded, and the drum seasoned is safe!!! Barrels that contained cooking oil, motor oil, degreaser, especially water based products when burnt, cleaned, and seasoned are IMHO safer.

I got lucky with my barrel. It was brand new and clean bare metal inside, best of all FREE! I started with one that had the red liner, I didn't trust it so I got rid of it.
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #10247
Hurricane
Found some matches.

I just finished my burn out of a food grade drum with the tan liner. It came off really easy with the weed burner. My question is after I used a wire brush to remove the chunks of ash and what not, there is still really fine ash left on the metal. How do you guys clean the metal to get to true bare metal? Do you just use soap and water? Does that make it rust right away?
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #10248
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Default Finally got it right

This is my second drum, the first was great but a lot of booboos. Here are some pics of my beauty. I broke her in this morning with a fatty. Needs a couple of more smokes to get the lid to seal up nice. When I buned the drum out I put my shop vac in rev. attached a pipe and stuck it in a vent hole on the bottom, the heat was very very intense. I would think this would get rid of those red food liners/paint jobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0157.jpg (108.9 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (115.4 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (136.9 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (66.0 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0250.jpg (141.6 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0252.jpg (67.6 KB, 808 views)
krshome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #10249
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Is that an aluminum ring to hold the lid?

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #10250
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzl View Post
Is that an aluminum ring to hold the lid?

Yes it is aluminum. There is also another smaller width of aluminum flat bar around that not shown to make the lid fit perfect. It is easy to bend and worked flawlessly.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #10251
Sizzl
Got Wood.

What are the two widths of the flat bar?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #10252
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzl View Post
What are the two widths of the flat bar?

I used 2" attached to the inside of the barrel it stuck up about 1/2" above the lip of the barrel. I then used pop rivets every 4" to attach a 1/2" piece of flat bar to the outside of the 2" flat bar. I used the two clamps and one small pair of vise grips to hold the flat as I worked around the barrel drilling and riveting. If you would like I can take pictures of the 1/2" flat tomorrow. Btw everything was bought at Lowes

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #10253
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
I used 2" attached to the inside of the barrel it stuck up about 1/2" above the lip of the barrel. I then used pop rivets every 4" to attach a 1/2" piece of flat bar to the outside of the 2" flat bar. I used the two clamps and one small pair of vise grips to hold the flat as I worked around the barrel drilling and riveting. If you would like I can take pictures of the 1/2" flat tomorrow. Btw everything was bought at Lowes
I would be interested in pics.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #10254
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I had the dreaded red liner. I decided to hit it with the weed blaster. Oh boy was it loud! The ol' miss came out and timed how long it would take in one section to turn it that ashy pink color. Approximately 90 seconds. As a test, I immediately hit it with a 2500 PSI pressure washer. That big circular blob in the upper left is just that. (NOTE: There are lots of places where the propane burner peeled the liner right off. Had I taken the time, I probably would have just hit it with the burner to peel it off but, well, I was impatient. And a little inebriated.)

So I'm thinking that heating it from the outside might actually release the chemical bonds from the steel. Mind you, I'm not a chemist so for all I know, the red liner may have just said "f u, its getting hot, I'm out of here."

Here's the Mrs's taking over torching duty while I go have some whiskey and find some beers.

After we blasted the outside so that the inside was all ashy pink, I hit it with the pressure washer again. It got quite a bit out but I still wasn't satisfied. I decided to risk it and throw in all the scrap plywood I have, along with 1/3rd of a bag of briquettes. Woah.

Glad the neighbors were not home to call the fire department on me (they're a bunch of squares). After the burn, there is still some pink in there. I may hit it with the orbital sander but my gut tells me that if after everything I did and the pink still wont come off, I'm good.

Lesson: Red liner is bad, but not as bad as people made it sound. Hitting it from the outside is definitely the key. I think those that have tried were hitting it from the inside or didn't hold it in one spot long enough. If (when) I do this again, I am going to bring it somewhere that I can start a massive fire. Then I'd throw it in the fire and fill up the inside with hot coals.
Wh1skey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #10255
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I would be interested in pics.
Here ya go! Sorry not new anymore, got a little broken in over the weekend. BTW I only added the 1/2" flat bar because the lid was still very loose with just the 2" flat bar by it self.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (81.4 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.jpg (39.3 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0255.jpg (89.1 KB, 778 views)

Last edited by krshome; 11-05-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #10256
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Am I doing my math correctly here? Lots of popular builds on here have three .75" intake holes. That's a total of 1.32" of intake.

My biggest bit is .5" so I put in four, for a total of .78" of intake...which is quite a bit less than using 3/4" intake holes. (And before someone says it, no, I don't plan on getting a step bit in the near future).

My question is this: should I add more intake holes or is what I have enough? I thought about building this kind of intake cover, so more holes isn't a big deal:

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #10257
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Am I doing my math correctly here? Lots of popular builds on here have three .75" intake holes. That's a total of 1.32" of intake.

My biggest bit is .5" so I put in four, for a total of .78" of intake...which is quite a bit less than using 3/4" intake holes. (And before someone says it, no, I don't plan on getting a step bit in the near future).

My question is this: should I add more intake holes or is what I have enough? I thought about building this kind of intake cover, so more holes isn't a big deal:
Assuming your drum is otherwise reasonably airtight, you probably won't be able to get the temperature above 250 degrees with four 1/2" holes. Initial heating up to cooking temperatures will also be more difficult.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #10258
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Thanks for the info

Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #10259
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I picked up a second barrel. This one had paint and the paint was held in a plastic bag. I hit it from the outside with the weed burner. The barrel was black and that paint did not want to burn off.

1) The metal actually turned a glowing red. Is that good enough or do I really need to burn the paint off? I'll hit it with paint stripper later on.

2) There was a fair amount of rust inside. Not enough that it was caking off and when I hit it with a rubber mallet, a little dust came off. I hit it with a wire wheel on my drill and can definitely get to the steel, but that's a lot of work. I've read that this amount (not caking off) is insignificant and I should just season over it. Thoughts?

3) I found a set of black oxide hole saws in an old tool box in my garage. Can I use this on the drum?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #10260
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
1) The metal actually turned a glowing red. Is that good enough or do I really need to burn the paint off? I'll hit it with paint stripper later on.
This is my ideology… no matter how the UDS looks from the outside [that's why it's called "ugly"]; from the inside it should be "treated" properly. The paint MUST be removed

Quote:
2) There was a fair amount of rust inside. Not enough that it was caking off and when I hit it with a rubber mallet, a little dust came off. I hit it with a wire wheel on my drill and can definitely get to the steel, but that's a lot of work. I've read that this amount (not caking off) is insignificant and I should just season over it. Thoughts?
It might seem a lot of work, but it isn't; just grab the drill with the wire wheel... this is what worked for me

Quote:
3) I found a set of black oxide hole saws in an old tool box in my garage. Can I use this on the drum?
for the holes you mean?

Yes you can... if they're for metal; there are hole saws for wood, that look just like the ones for metal:

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker