• Fried Fish on the Grill (pr0n heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Got some nice small fish today, My favorite size to fry. Do it right and the bones and everything crisp right up! got two 1 pound-ish parrot fish and about 6 or so small reef snapper (yellowtail snapper). Did them up in the CI pan on the grill along with some roasted plantain. Been craving some fried fish for a while... the kind you get from the little stalls at the beach! :heh:

Here's the fish all cleaned up:
bff9e859.jpg

I seasoned them just with a bit of EVOO, sea salt, black pepper, garlic pow, onion pow, smoked paprika and some pepper flakes and left them in the fridge for the day.
92dbaff5.jpg

e7b47cea.jpg

As of recent... a logwood fire:
010524ce.jpg

Halved a plantain and put them on as I started frying the fish:
4778061a.jpg

66d1655e.jpg

41dac963.jpg

I put the fish to drain on the grill when they were just about done and they coasted to doneness and picked up a hint of smoke... :thumb::heh:
eb978dff.jpg

68b7f8bb.jpg

***OK GUYS, THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION**...:heh:
This is what EVERY jamaican puts on their fried fish... and there's a reason!!! It's farkin GOOD!!! I bet it'll go damn nice on a PP sandwich!! :shocked:

I chopped up onions, carrot, a bunch of pepper (I used scotchies and anaheims.) and garlic, I had some pickled garlic my mom made me so I used that. I heated up about 2 cups of white cane vinegar with about a TB brown sugar and 1-2 tsp salt and a couple black pepper corns and some whole pimento. As soon as it came to a boil I took it off the fire and poured it over the veggies. You want the veggies to have a little bite. Cool it completely before you use it. And it only gets better as it "ages" :thumb:.
5c13dd5b.jpg

c05832d1.jpg

33406475.jpg

Place on fish and eat! :heh:
6141b6e4.jpg

Best thing is... I always make a little more than I really need :thumb::heh:
63d7c51e.jpg

Craving:Satisfied!! :wink:
Thanks for looking guys!
Cheers

Looks great Phras!! I love Yellowtail but have'nt had it for a while.

That pepper mixture looks tasty!

Thanks for passing on the craving.

That fish looks great! Sometimes I will eat the yellowtail sashimi style right on the boat. I almost like yellowtail sashimi more than tuna sometimes.

Dang Ph.:shocked:!
Last year I ate parrot Phish for the Phirst time.

Those sweet n sour veggies looks and sounds the same as Surinam people have on there table almost with every dish.

Here's a pulled pork masala sammie with the sour stuPh...

IMG_0015-4.jpg

IMG_0016-6.jpg

Now that's the way to do it there Phrasty. Gotta try that mix too!

WOW thanks for the post and pron. Haven't had any saltwater fish lately. Watched a cooking show in Jamaica last night. Not real sure where I'll find cane vinegar around here but I can ask around. :becky:

WOW thanks for the post and pron. Haven't had any saltwater fish lately. Watched a cooking show in Jamaica last night. Not real sure where I'll find cane vinegar around here but I can ask around. :becky:

Don't over think it. Using white distilled vinegar will be fine. That's what we use for escoviche.

That fish looks great! Sometimes I will eat the yellowtail sashimi style right on the boat. I almost like yellowtail sashimi more than tuna sometimes.

Not to highjack the thread at all, but...

Tuna is one of my least favorite fish for sashimi. At least tuna loin that is (except for albacore or escolar...aka "white tuna").

The fattier fishes, such as your yellowtail, are much better to me.

EDIT: Crap! You were probably talking about yellowtail snapper like in the OP. My bad. I was talking about Pacific yellowtail.

Good looking escoviche.
Thank you Cook! You know your stuff...:thumb::thumb:

Dang Ph.:shocked:!
Last year I ate parrot Phish for the Phirst time.

Those sweet n sour veggies looks and sounds the same as Surinam people have on there table almost with every dish.

Here's a pulled pork masala sammie with the sour stuPh...

IMG_0015-4.jpg

IMG_0016-6.jpg

Dang Phu, that looks amazing! Parrot is one of the best tasting white sea fish IMHO, Only thing that can beat it is the snappers... :wink:

Thanks J_Don! yes you can use distilled white malt vinegar as well. You wont have a problem there at all.

Cheers

Looks good but man, I am a big fan of knives and fish filets! I can't do the whole fish staring at me thing.

Looks good but man, I am a big fan of knives and fish filets! I can't do the whole fish staring at me thing.

:heh: Really? Ever done a suckling pig?? :wink:
Yeah Johnny, not the first time I've heard that. But in all honesty best way to cook fish is bone in! I guess I'm also desensitized to it having grown up with it...

Cheers

Looks great, one of my favorite fishes along with halibut. You must have some serious frying technique! I'd be scurred to fry fish over a big flame like that.

:heh: Really? Ever done a suckling pig?? :wink:
Yeah Johnny, not the first time I've heard that. But in all honesty best way to cook fish is bone in! I guess I'm also desensitized to it having grown up with it...

Cheers

It is totally a regional/country/cultural thing. I could power down a whole pig but something about the whole fish that just doesn't work for me. I would eat it but you would just have to cut the head off mine for me first! :p

Man Phartsy that looks fantastic!

You can really see the African influence in Jamaican cooking. Reminds me of Ghanaian chophouse fare.

It is totally a regional/country/cultural thing. I could power down a whole pig but something about the whole fish that just doesn't work for me. I would eat it but you would just have to cut the head off mine for me first! :p

Couldn't agree with you more and consider it headless... :heh::thumb:

Hey Phrasty,

That sure is a perfect way to do fish.

Heads on is THE ONLY WAY.... Love those fish cheeks! So sweet. I don't know how people can chuck out the best part!.... Wusses....:crazy:

Cheers!

Bill

Hell yeah! You know what I'm talking bout Bill!! :thumb:

Man Phartsy that looks fantastic!

You can really see the African influence in Jamaican cooking. Reminds me of Ghanaian chophouse fare.

You're right Cap, you see it a lot in the food. From fish like this to all the stews to the soups. It's very prevalent out here.

Cheers

Back