Help please! Calling all judges and comp cooks!

J

jmoney7269

I would greatly appreciate the the opinions of anyone who does alot of comp cooks and is successful or has been successful. Also people who have a pretty good judging career. I have a delemma. I currently cook my briskets and chickens on a UDS controlled by the guru. There is a very distinct flavor that the UDS gives meats from that direct heat/fat on the coals flavor. I didn't like t at first. Now I do, and do pretty well in cookoffs, but with our team growing and family getting more involved, I gotta have a bigger pit. I am taking a load of calves to the auction next week and I will have the money to buy any of the three pits of my choice which I have narrowed it down to. Lang 60, Pitmaker BBQ vault with comp cart and controlled by a guru, or the sniper with insulated fire box. As far as offsets go I like the Lang for the reverse flow and hd construction. I like the Pitmaker magnum sniper for the insulated firebox and all comp cooks I know that there is a benifit to having hotter spots on a traditional offset style pit. The vault is the one I'm heavily leaning to Because of the ergonomics and the insulation. I know from past experiences that you can foil the 2nd shelf from the bottom to shorten up the chamber and make the bottom shelf run 50* hotter easily. Amongst those those decisions, I'm worried about the profile of my brisket that I have worked years on in comps to finally perfect. How much will it change going to one of these style pits from a UDS? Again any standpoint is much appreciated since I'm pulling the trigger next week

you know what... i would find someone with the pits you are looking for who may let you give them a shot to see if you like them. even the makers might have a demo model you can cook on just to see for yourself. any one of these smokers might give you what you are looking for, but... you used the word perfect so i have to echo speers90's sentiment, even if you take the UDS just for the brisket alone and cook the other stuff on the other pit.

Consider a Backwoods smoker. Depending on the model, it will have a removable waterpan. Take out the waterpan, and you will have your drippings landing on the coals. I believe a BWS Gator is reasonably comparable to a Pitmaker Vault.

ML

I think you are going to lose that distinct flavor you've come to like with any of those choices.... no fat dripping on the coals. However it's not the only way to win, any of those potential new cookers will land you some nice results when you've learned your way around them. If not.. drag your UDS to the comps.:heh:

Thanks for the replies guys. My brisket is what i pride myself in. It used to be my worst cook, now it's my best. The only only only thing I wish I could do better on the drum is get a better bark than what I get. But in actuality, it's just not possible with my method. I was watching alot of videos last night and I think I have settled on the vault. Oh trust me, I will always cook chicken over coals, the UDS will go to every cookoff just for that reason. I understand it all boils down to "know your pit" and that's what I do. I have made won a few times in large crowds in ribs with my traeger, some (me) just don't accept change so willingly even though I know it's for the best

A friend of mine uses a Pitmaker at
Comps, for several months now, and absolutely loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel makes a real nice cooker.

I took the Pitmaker guarantee as far as construction and durability as far as price point. I have not seen a pit on the market that compares in construction. All 6 sides insulated seamless welded, stainless drip pan and fire grate 900 lbs, flush fit doors, awesome slam latches. They even had a backwoods there to point out the difference between welds and rivets. The really look like legacy pits. Plus the ability to be able to cook alot of stuff for the family in such a small package will be awesome.

Thanks for the replies guys. My brisket is what i pride myself in. It used to be my worst cook, now it's my best. The only only only thing I wish I could do better on the drum is get a better bark than what I get. But in actuality, it's just not possible with my method. I was watching alot of videos last night and I think I have settled on the vault. Oh trust me, I will always cook chicken over coals, the UDS will go to every cookoff just for that reason. I understand it all boils down to "know your pit" and that's what I do. I have made won a few times in large crowds in ribs with my traeger, some (me) just don't accept change so willingly even though I know it's for the best

All Conference is selling a vault for $3,000.00 on sales and ventures right now!!!

Back