more mods needed than expected!!!!!

malaki

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
got my bskd today and got it put together, alot more work to do than i thought. i know i have read some of this before but cant find it now so i will just list what needs to be done. hope you guys can help.

1.fire box door doesnt close tight ( more than a tighter spring wil fix) barely holds the handle up.

2.cook chamber door ( same as above)

3.chimney just sits on top, takes 2 hands to adjust (need mod)

4.what do i need to open a PDF file in the files section? (the baffle template)

5.thats it for now (may hve more later)

thanks!

for 1 and 2, i will offer an answer to a common mistake, You may or may not eb doing it. Study the latches, make sure you are laching the handles from the proper side. On the bandera, you close the door with the handle at the 1-2 oclock position, and close it to the 6 oclock position. If you go from the wrong direction(counterclockwise), or miss the latch, the doors will not close properly.

there was also another common mistake.. i just cant remember it.. Bill should.. ... I think he either did it or discioered it.. .WILLKAT.. u remember that???

On both the door problems, you need to get the doors to close properly first. By this i mean the top of each door will touch the FB or SB at the same time as the bottom of the door. To do this you'll need a block of wood (short piece of 1x or 2x will work great), a hammer and some brass in your BVD's.
If, for example the smokebox door closes at the bottom but still has a gap at the top, place the block of wood against the back side of the lower hinge mount and give it a couple sharp whacks, you can also tap the upper hinge mount back a bit but be careful not to go too far back and make the door bind.
Easy does it on the firebox door, a little goes a long ways on a short door.

Once you've fit the doors to the cabinets, the spring mod should fix you right up.

On the stack, put some veggie oil between the parts and make sure the screw that acts as a stop to limit rotation isn't too tight. As far as the installation goes, it does just "sit" in place, but after a few cooks, smoke residue will have it much more secure. Mine fit (or didn't) just as you describe and now I don't think I could get it off without considerable effort. In fact I just moved my BSKD aobut 30 miles @ 70mph and it stayed right where it belongs.

Best of luck and feel free to pm if you have any questions on the door fit mod.

thaks for the help guys! got the pdf files to work, did the spring mod (big difference), and yes i was operating the door latch properly lmao.the chimney wasnt perfecly round, inside or out. straightend them out and got them to move easyer. the fire box door still has gaps at the top and botom corners on the latch end. is a door seal mod posible here or is it too hot there? i found an old oven, will the gasket off of it work there? dose the silicone gasket hold up well on the smoker door? more questions to come!lol

thanks!

just an FYI for future reference, the other thing I couldnt remember(spoke to bill) is that the middle shelf if not pushed in all the way will sto the door from closing properly. The shelf has to be pushed all the way in and to the left if someone must use that height. These answers may be simplistic and goofy, but they were common mistakes that we've seen a bunch of times.

Where did you find the spring mods for the handles?

got mine a rual king farm store but any harware store will have them. i got 9/16 by 1" 3/8. i had to cut them down a bit and drill a new and larger hole for a bigger pin. i would recomend a 5/8 spring as mine were hard to get on around the bend.

Silicone is good to 550 F. or so as I recall so it won't handle the temps in the firebox. The rope used in woodburning stoves will though. I got about 25 lbs of it in about 1 to 3 foot chunks if you need some.

Back