MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I learned long ago it's not about what I like it's about what the judges like. It takes trial and error to figure out exactly what that is but the learning curve can be cut in half by reading advice on forums like this or taking a class. Look for posts by successful teams and take the tidbits of advice and incorporate it into what you do.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Well after seeing the people who have already commented I really have no right to add.....but I have no shame so here it goes.

As was said we've all been in your place at some point in our competition run. I remember it well and really considered just hanging it up because "We just don't get it". Then I remembered what Grandma always said to me. "Skip always remember your way isn't the only way". We had to remove ourselves from what WE liked and understand what the MASSES liked. Yeah we made killer Q every single time.....not. We found out our taste wasn't always the judges taste and what we considered Q wasn't always what KCBS judges considered Q.

I think we all cringed when you said YOU thought you made killer Q at the comp. I have to tell you everytime I think its good we usually end up in the opposite direction and when we think its terrible we usually get a call. We've also cooked back to back weekends and done nothing different yet had one of our best the first week and our worst the next week. 2 place ribs and 5th overall to 67th of 72. Sometimes you just can't explain it. Ultimately it should be about the fun and friends you make. We had a much better time coming in 67th then 5th. We fought all weekend and complained about each other the weekend of the 5th place win. In fact my wife vowed never to drive back from a comp again with me after that weekend lol. The next we had a lot of fun and met some great people including Big Ugly BBQ.

Of course I too would recommend taking a class with someone. It helped my wife greatly and no matter how many you take you will always come away with something. I will say that being someones pit biotch is also a great way to learn. Many teams will let you cook with them as long as you are willing. If you roll up your sleeves and really help out they will reward you with invaluable information. We've helped Poobah out on a lot of occassions, not at comps, and learn each time. Our best learning experiences so far was when we cooked with Jimmy Brod of Smokin' Cracker BBQ. We came away with a lot of information to work with but best of all was a new friend and a lot of mutual respect.

So don't give up and don't get fustrated. There are a lot of teams out there and only 1 GC and RGC at each comp. We all keep telling ourselves that our time will come so please do the same....misery loves company and we're your no. 1 fan. lol

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc

Last edited by Skip; 06-17-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Don’t listen to these people Ruben. They’re just trying to set you up for failure!
After 10 years of exactly what you described ... we changed our team name to "Smokers Purgatory". And unlike the others here, our team has concluded that we are not going to improve, we are stuck in the middle of the pack. I’m currently reading a book by Patricia Madson. It’s call "Improv wisdom, “don't prepare, just show up”. In the book she talks about the times when you try your hardest, give it your all so to speak. Those are the times when you are the most disappointed. So I say dare to be average Ruben! Don’t waist time putting together parsley boxes. Don’t prep your meat ahead of time. Don’t worry about even temps on your smoker. Get it on, get it off and get it turned in.
This whole idea of excellence and perfection can’t be healthy. I lost my first three wives because I was all consumed with great BBQ. Or was I barbequing because I didn’t like my wives? Anyway Dare to be average, it’s a lot easier! And if you ever find yourself in the average town of Des Moines Iowa, stop by my average house and try some of my average BBQ. I think you will like it.

Last edited by Balls Casten; 06-17-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Balls Casten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

I think all great points have been made, with one side one I want to make.

Have you tasted your que cold? And I mean, sat out and not been touched for an hour? Remember, the chances of your judge getting anything hot, let alone warm, is slim. Cook it, let it set, then figure out what you dont like. Those "tender" ribs will firm up and become chewy, the brisket that tastes great hot will become too peppery and a little rubbery. This is a key element, and one we've worked hard on, making sure its great hot AND cold.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Well said Andy. I know that it can be very frustrating but I have to agree with the fact that 4 contests is certainly not enough time to "hone" the skills so to speak. If you ask around I think that you'll find that it takes a lot teams several years before they get to a GC or a RGC. Many teams cook with other teams before they break off on there own and many take numerous classes. Stick with it and it will come.

I think that the best piece of advise I've ever gotten is this:
"It doesn't matter if you like it...you're cooking for the judges". That was really hard for me to learn...usually if I really like it, it doesn't score well. Good luck and I hate that I didn't get to meet you in Danville, we are usually right across from Dizzy Pig.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
we are usually right across from Dizzy Pig.
shame shame shame Shawn...he was right up on the hill with you guys.....man, and I thought that you darn Butts and Breastts folks were so friendly...
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for all the support and a refreshment of new idea's, I was about out. I will be at Que and Cruz next month and I will look you guys up. At previous comps I have not gotten around much because I have been so busy trimming and prepping meats and anything butt stuff. So in the future I plan to ditch the anything butt stuff and I am going to prep all meats at home so all I have to do is rub them down at the comps. Maybe that will give me time to get around and talk with everyone. Butts I did talk with one of your team member in Danville in 08 but I did not get out much further than that.

I am going to try to hit a cooking class sometime before the end of the year. I will stick to one method through 3 comps before I change as well. I am however still confused about the taste of meats. The advice from here is don't cook to what I like but what the judges will like, and in the judges tent they say don't judge on what you like but to judge on what the product is. Very confusing I must say, but hopefully I will figure it out sometime. I have done plain meats with not so good rubs you really could not taste in the bark at all, I have tried injections like Chris Lilly's, I have tried Texas BBQ Rub, vinegar sauces and sweet sauces. No single profile has gotten better results than another for me.

I will say that the cold meat thing might be a big problem because the brisket and ribs that I brought home from judging this weekend were 10 times better heated up in the microwave than they were almost cold in the judges tent. I am thankful for all of the support as you have put new life back into my efforts and I plan to hit 2 maybe three more comps this year. See you on the BBQ trail!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
I consider myself a fierce competitor... but never at the expense of enjoying my friends and family. Best friends of my life are folks I have met through our BBQ experience. It enriches my family, and my life. And I will do it win or lose, until it isnt fun anymore. And the best part is -- the friends I have made will be friends for life.
This is exactly why I wanted to get into competition BBQ and so far I have not been disappointed.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #24
Butt-A-Bing!
Knows what a fatty is.

"Very confusing I must say, but hopefully I will figure it out sometime. I have done plain meats with not so good rubs you really could not taste in the bark at all, I have tried injections like Chris Lilly's, I have tried Texas BBQ Rub, vinegar sauces and sweet sauces. No single profile has gotten better results than another for me."

I will ad my 2 cents on this matter. And thats what it's worth. If I were you, for the time being, I would pick a commercial rub. One that is well respected, pair it with a good commercial sauce and stick with it for a season. Work on your cooking skills. Be consistant. If you are swithching back and forth, this rub with that sauce, changing injections, theres no way you will be consistant. Once your scores start leeling out you can tweak from there. Good luck!