Thin brisket flats

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Every time I go to buy a brisket packer the flats are normally super thin. Yes I would love to find one that is thicker but can't seem to find one. Has anyone ever folded the flat over a little bit to keep it from burning up quickly? I'm using a UDS so I'm getting direct heat. Any ideas or tips other than finding a thicker flat? I have never used a deflector by the way.

It isn't really burning up that is the issue IMO. It is just that a thinner flat has less meat (within the edges) so you end up with more hard meat by the time the center is probe tender. Wrapping a little earlier than you would with a thicker cut is how I deal with it. You can also separate the point and flat before cooking and cook the flat braised in a pan for chili, etc.

I have had great luck placing smaller briskeys like that in a foil pan from the beginning of the cook

acts as a deflector, retains more of the juices

you wont get the same back on the bottom, I put it fat cap down

but its still great

Do you have a knife??? Trim it before you cook it. All those thin parts make good Chili, Carne Grisada, Stew..... That is how I address the situation

Last edited:
With regards to a diffuser i used to not use one but now i'm a big fan of them. A good one will let drippings still reach the coals but blend the direct heat. I have this one sitting on a shelf above my charcoal basket.

Back