Smoking

smcrea

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and was actually looking for a place that was dedicated to smoking.

I've smoked before with a water smoker.

We have moved to a new house with some land and I want to build a smoke house that will both cold smoke cheese, salmon etc but also will be able to smoke/cook meats etc.

Does anyone have any plans for a smoke house that could do both?

I've looked at pinterest but don't see anything

Thanks!

What you’re talking about with the smoke house and cheese/salmon/etc is probably “cold smoking”, I think you’d have a hard time doing “hot smoking” (briskets, shoulders, ribs, etc) in the style of smoke house you’re referring to. Maybe a cinder block pit would be an option if you have a little bit of land and want something oldskool.

What you’re talking about with the smoke house and cheese/salmon/etc is probably “cold smoking”, I think you’d have a hard time doing “hot smoking” (briskets, shoulders, ribs, etc) in the style of smoke house you’re referring to. Maybe a cinder block pit would be an option if you have a little bit of land and want something oldskool.

Thanks for the replies. I said that I was a rookie at this :clap2:

So.. I take it that bottom line:

- The smoke house is just for cold smoking.

- Smoke cooking needs to be done in a type of smoker that I've used before

I wonder if its possible to design the smoke box part of the system as a smoke pit/smoke b ox combo?????

See what I'm saying?

Thanks! :)

I built this one a 3/4 years ago. There’s another forum I was part of that I have picture of my build with dimensions in the picture. If this is something you’d like I can find a link. If that fair ground here. I have a Bradley smoker that I can take the smoker element off an insert it into the side of the house for cold smoking

Last edited:
My smokehouse build..
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html
It has a block base but I would line the inside for hot smoking.

GiCe27X.jpg

It really depends on how often you plan to cold smoke and the quantity that you plan to smoke.

I specifically bought a MAK 2 Star as I can both hot smoke and cold smoke with it. If you want more cold smoke capacity you can add on a larger capacity Super Smoker Box.

A dedicated smoke house that I built myself was tempting but I’d never use it enough to justify it.

I believe it was a Brethren who posted these a few years ago. I captured the photos to assist me when I was/hope to build one.
Hopefully he will see the post and chime in to help.

Attachments

• smoke house turkey's 3.jpg
    smoke house turkey's 3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 75
  • smoke house turkey's.jpg
    smoke house turkey's.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 75
  • smoke house turkey's 2.jpg
    smoke house turkey's 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 75
Back