MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Default spicy slaw or different type slaw recipes?

Hey Brethren!

Just wondering if anyone has some good recipes for a spicy slaw or maybe a slaw that is a bit different than just one's average vinegar or creamy slaw? I mean I could just add some peppers to the one I already make, but what fun is that? Curious to see what others are doing.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
kathicooks
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kathi

Half mayo, half sour cream, and a hefty dose of prepared horseradish. Finish with salt and pepper and feel free to add a shot of vinegar. Depending on how much horseradish you use, you can really clear out your sinuses!!!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathicooks View Post
Half mayo, half sour cream, and a hefty dose of prepared horseradish. Finish with salt and pepper and feel free to add a shot of vinegar. Depending on how much horseradish you use, you can really clear out your sinuses!!!
thats what I'm talking about! I love horseradish!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

we haven't ventured into spicy slaw yet but we often do use shredded granny smith apple in the slaw we use for pulled pork sammies. a little bit different than your typical stuff but not so different that it would scare off people.

the horseradish thing intrigues me though

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

I make my slaw dressing with some jalapeno slices, cilantro, and powdered cayenne or chipotle peppers. I dont have the recipe written down because its a little different every time I make it. Cut back on the sugar and use just enough to balance it, replace some of the vinegar with lime juice. Its got enough kick to be there, but tame enough for the kids. I hate sweet coleslaw, so this was my compromise.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Here's a Mexican style slaw that I posted a while back.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=mexican+slaw

Note: Also goes great with fish tacos.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
mrpigs
Full Fledged Farker

Red white and blue slaw.
Just add sliced cherry tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, a little blue cheese salad dressing and plenty of crispy bacon to your regular creamy mayonnaise slaw.
First had it at a small bbq joint in Knoxville Tennessee about four years ago.
If you like blue cheese, it's the bomb.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Best I have ever had is the Cock of the Walk Cole Slaw recipe I got off of here.

See Post #15 at this link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23734

Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

in a vinegar slaw, i add lots of diced pineapple and lot of coarse ground black pepper.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Add cilantro to the slaw recipe whatever it is. Might not work in a sweet slaw as good. I don't put sugar in my slaw.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
in a vinegar slaw, i add lots of diced pineapple and lot of coarse ground black pepper.
Works well for a creamy slaw too. Really like the slaw I used to get at Cattlemen's down on El Paso -- (something similar to below)

Not a great choice for putting on the sandwich with pulled pork but good as a side, especially with brisket or sausage.

5 cups shredded cabbage
20 oz can of pineapple tidbits
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup mayo
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper (especially the latter) to taste

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
IamMadMan

Guerry's Slaw
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...39&postcount=9

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce to taste

Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #13
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
Best I have ever had is the Cock of the Walk Cole Slaw recipe I got off of here.

See Post #15 at this link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23734

Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way.
I also found this recipe, posted somewhere on this site. Made it to great success. It was familiar enough that it didn't scare anyone off, but different enough to be interesting.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #14
16Adams

75% your regular slaw
25% Kimchi with pickled ginger
Add chopped roasted jalapeño

Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

In the recipe I posted above for the "Cock of the Walk" recipe, the original poster says:

"I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way."

I decided to split the difference, and have been using 1 tsp of Tony C's and 1 tsp of Lawry's. I like it so much, I have not tried any of the other great recipes posted on this site. :-)

It is great on pulled pork sandwiches.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote