Rib cutting questions

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have some questions about cutting ribs for presentation. I use spare-ribs from Sams normally. I cut them "St. Louis" style like normal. Problem is that when cooked, and i go to cut them, i always seem to be cutting at an angle. I hope this makes sense. Looking for any help.

I totally hear you. We always look for the straightest bones possible. Unfortunately, we can only see one bone-side rack in the tri-cryos that Sams sells out here. It was often the same for us on the Mainland.

We'd buy 6 racks (2 tri-cryos) from Sams for a comp and hope for the best on the unseen racks. You can kind of see (OK, feel) the top rack on the Sam's tri-cryos. It's definitely a crapshoot sometimes.

The good news is that those curved-bone racks allow for good practice.

Best of luck.

Don't get me started on Sam's ribs again :mad2: We are lucky to get one rack out of three even worth cooking. Yes, we have a bad problem finding straight ribs also.

It's easier to see where to cut if you cut from the back side.

I agree with that but then you mess up that perfect looking glaze on the front side... I've found that its easier for me to cut baby backs straight. Granted the are curved in the other direction but lengthwise they are straight

I used to think flipping them over would mess my glaze up, but the first time I tried it didn't mess anything up. At worst when I flip then over and there is a little noticeable smudge I just touch it up. Has not affected my appearance score at all. And nowi never have to worry if bones are crooked as upside down you can see exactly where to cut.

I started cutting from the backside. I was always worried about ruining the sauce glaze but as long as my sauce is warm and I have a brush, I havent had a problem touching them up and my cuts have become much better. Some loinbacks are just flat out nightmares if the chine bone is still in

I used to think flipping them over would mess my glaze up, but the first time I tried it didn't mess anything up. At worst when I flip then over and there is a little noticeable smudge I just touch it up. Has not affected my appearance score at all. And nowi never have to worry if bones are crooked as upside down you can see exactly where to cut.

wow, I typed almost the exact thing at the same time. lol

I can totally appreciate flipping them over and cutting them from the back, but when you put them back together in the box, the cuts are still off center. Instead of them being straight up and down, they tend to have an an angle to them. Without pictures, it's hard to explain.

I can totally appreciate flipping them over and cutting them from the back, but when you put them back together in the box, the cuts are still off center. Instead of them being straight up and down, they tend to have an an angle to them. Without pictures, it's hard to explain.

Yes of course this is the case, but it doesn't appear the judges mind as long as the cuts aren't jagged or if a cut ran into a bone and you still put that rib in the box. I know exactly what you are talking about. Would I love straight bones....heck yes :becky:. Did I used to worry when they all weren't straight.....yup. Once I finally stopped worrying and cut them upside down parallel in between each set of bone did my scores drop.....no. If anything they have been doing better. Though that may do with a flavor change too :becky:.

These (just like all of mine) are cut from the back. Just spray a little apple juice on the board so they dont stick.

Attachments

• BBQ Jam R.jpg
    BBQ Jam R.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 205
  • ribs p.jpg
    ribs p.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 199
+1 on cutting from the back where it's easier to see (and FEEL) the bones. Yes, you'll end up still cutting at an angle, but I think they box up well. We did this last weekend. Ended up taking 3rd. The 12 ribs were taken out of only 2 racks to match correctly (6 on 6 :thumb:). The "meat" part still ends up looking angled, but we've boxed like this the last 3-4 comps and have gotten great appearance scores.

Even when we can't get 6 on 6, we still have to cut "at an angle".

I'd like to show you a pic, but I'm on a remote air card where I am today and am having a very slow connection speed and can't seem to upload the pics.

I had same problem last comp. Went for best looking ribs not the most tender ribs. Cost me a great deal.

+1 on cutting from the back where it's easier to see (and FEEL) the bones. Yes, you'll end up still cutting at an angle, but I think they box up well. We did this last weekend. Ended up taking 3rd. The 12 ribs were taken out of only 2 racks to match correctly (6 on 6 :thumb:). The "meat" part still ends up looking angled, but we've boxed like this the last 3-4 comps and have gotten great appearance scores.

Even when we can't get 6 on 6, we still have to cut "at an angle".

I'd like to show you a pic, but I'm on a remote air card where I am today and am having a very slow connection speed and can't seem to upload the pics.

IMG_5821.jpg

You could also "Cowboy Cut" them which gives you significantly more meat to work with to obtain a straight look with crooked bones and it also makes it easy to match them up for a consistent look. The Downside is obviously the waste.

Back