MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Cheap Cold Smoker?

I picked up one of these tonight at BBB to use in a drawer in my kitchen, but after thinking about it, I wonder if this would work as a dust cold smoker with a couple of minor mods?

Amazon.com: Copco 2555-7873 Mesh 5-Part In-Drawer Cutlery Organizer: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414NyVVF0lL.@@AMEPARAM@@414NyVVF0lL
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

uhhhhh well give it a shot and let us know
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Seems like you'd need to use that in something large. I have the pro-q cold smoker which burns much less surface area than that would and it worked great in a 22.5 Weber.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I ordered the 6x6 A-MAZE-N Smoker and it should arrive tomorrow... I hadn't even thought about this item until I saw it in the store tonight for ten bux.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All you need is a soldering iron and an cleaned out bean can full of dry chips.Looks interesting though.Keep us posted.Good Luck.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
All you need is a soldering iron and an cleaned out bean can full of dry chips.Looks interesting though.Keep us posted.Good Luck.
Yup... I know that would work but I'm building a custom cold smoker and I want it to be self contained with no cords running in or out. I will probably do some experiments with the A-MAZE-N smoker in my WSM or my Kettle before I get that custom rig built though.

The custom rig is gonna be a wooden vertical box with a swing-out door on front with six 16x10" racks inside spaced about 3" apart so I can have plenty of space and multiple clearance configurations.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Hoss

Sounds good.I have seen some sawdust things, a pro-q or something like that.Keep us posted.Sounds like a cool smoker.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

Go for it. I once made a cold smoker out of a toilet tank, so yours can not be that crazy. I dunno where the thread is though. (think it's called off the wall smoker) I"ll look for it because this weekend I'm pulling that thing out of the garage and smoking some cheese and almonds. I gotta add a shelf to it first though.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Dr_KY

I'm a huge fan of the ProQ unit. I understand and have seen some of the testing Ian has done developing the CSG on a trip down to Cornwall and would be a little concerned with the work involved in getting that drawer organizer going. The size of the dust looks to play a fairly sizable part.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I picked up one of these tonight at BBB to use in a drawer in my kitchen, but after thinking about it, I wonder if this would work as a dust cold smoker with a couple of minor mods?

Amazon.com: Copco 2555-7873 Mesh 5-Part In-Drawer Cutlery Organizer: Home & [email]Garden

Great minds think alike, and it looks like ours do to!

I bought the exact same one a while back at BBB. I got as far as burning the paint off of it, then got sidetracked. My plan was to use aluminum flashing and screws to wall off the sides and cut where necessary to make it one solid maze.

You have inspired me to get back on this!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Great minds think alike, and it looks like ours do to!

I bought the exact same one a while back at BBB. I got as far as burning the paint off of it, then got sidetracked. My plan was to use aluminum flashing and screws to wall off the sides and cut where necessary to make it one solid maze.

You have inspired me to get back on this!
I'd be willing to bet it could work. My A-MAZE-N smoker was supposed to arrive today but the USPS must have been a little slack so it won't show up until Monday probably...

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I'd be willing to bet it could work. My A-MAZE-N smoker was supposed to arrive today but the USPS must have been a little slack so it won't show up until Monday probably...

No not the USPS! When have they ever been late? ;)
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote