Getting to know You (Jr.)

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I’ve been in a non-grilling funk but I now have a new Grillfriend who is slowly helping me get my grilling groove back on. To that end I’ve recently taken Jr. out for a couple of get to know you spins. Last week I just did a burn so I could judge the temperature swings / vent settings and season the grill grate. A few pics:

Added only a few handfuls of lump. (I burned this until it was gone)

I wiped down my grill grate with a light coating of grapeseed oil and lit Jr. up.

Took him slowly up to 425 noting vent settings as I went and around 350 I sprayed on some more grapeseed oil. Here’s the grill grate with a decent seasoning on it now.

Yesterday I did my first cook on him. Lit up a little larger load of lump this time.

Once he was up to 275 I added some Kirkland all beef hotdogs.

While they were cooking I got out the other ingredients. Among them was this Organic Saurerkraut I had sampled at Costco. (Good stuff)

Hotdogs are done so I toasted the buns and brought everything in.

Plated up a couple of Chicago dogs along with one with the saurerkraut and a Stone IPA.

This was excellent! :thumb:

Last edited:
Digging the full Chitown treatment with sport peppers, dill pickle, neon green relish and tomatoes! Nice work jr!

You must be proud of little Jr. I'm doing brats on the gasser tonight myself, and I now have, er, wiener envy.

This was excellent! :thumb:
Looks like understated deliciousness..
Ha ha it looks awesome!
Lived in Chi town in the 80's,
I only realized the awesomeness after I left....
I do love 'em..

Nice looking char dogs! Only thing missing is the cuts on the end. Make 2 slices in the shape of an Plus Sign on each end about a 1/4 deep, most dog joints in Chicago do this. Because when you grill them up, this happens.

IMG_20160625_134457.jpg

Also, a lot of joints will now put kraut on the dogs as well. That's how I usually order mine.

Everything no relish. Kraut & peppers? Yes, please.

That is a neat little trick, Andy. I like it.

Looks like Jr. has a good home and you've got a real nice rig! Great looking dogs.

JR looks very happy and rewarded you with a great cook on dogs!!!!

Back