• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham

Trout_man22

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well it that time of year again and some of our newer members may not have tried the double Smoked ham, and most of us need to be reminded to buy what we need three weeks before we need it, so here it is:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7096

brown sugar
maple syrup (use dark grade B)
honey
cider vinegar
Worcestershire sauce
instant coffee granules
ground mustard
orange juice concentrate
light Karo syrup
Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)
Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract
Rum extract
Orange extract
Vanilla extract

Thanks for resurrecting that one Trout. This is on the Thanksgiving menu for sure.

Yep... Thanks for the reminder!

Thanksgiving is at my parents house. If I were to cook a ham at home, and throw it in a cooler, do you guys think it would be OK to reheat it at their house if needed?

Thanks Troutman for posting that thread. What a great recipe. I have been double smoking hams for a long time and never saw a prep that sounded that good.

My usual holiday glaze is a mix of undiluted oj concentrate, honey, and mustard, with a good shot of every warm spice in my cabinet [cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, white pepper, etc].--The grandkids call it ham candy.

Got to try Dr. Chicken's version this year.

Ron_L said:
Yep... Thanks for the reminder!

Thanksgiving is at my parents house. If I were to cook a ham at home, and throw it in a cooler, do you guys think it would be OK to reheat it at their house if needed?

Ron, unless you have a long trip your ham will be ok to serve without re-heating if you cooler it hot off the smoker. I have also done many hams where I did it ahead, cooled it, then reheated on service day. Works great. We do a ham dinner for our church every Christmas, and we smoke and glaze the hams ahead, bring them to the church and re-heat in the ovens, then slice as we serve.

This IS the best ham to be had anywhere. When Jim Minon posted it we went nuts there are several theads that talk about it others that just mention it.

Do not use a country ham, it will not work. My Grandkids love it so much I have to make two hams every time I cook a ham (and there is just two of then)

This is by far the best ham recipie. I like to use Cook's whole bone in ham. If I must I'll use a Smithfield ham. The Sweet Kiss of Death Injectible Maridade rules!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, thats a great old thread. Thanks for posting Trout. I'm looking forward to smoking that.

MrsMista was just telling me that my mother-in-law wants me to make a ham for Thanksgiving. I was gonna do a search for a recipe and guess what pops up?

You guys are always right on time!!

Neil said:
This is by far the best ham recipie. I like to use Cook's whole bone in ham. If I must I'll use a Smithfield ham. The Sweet Kiss of Death Injectible Maridade rules!!!!

The only time I used a Smithfield ham, it came out too salty. Have you not had that problem?

Just a personal observation, but I have had bad experience with Cook's hams. The brine they used turned everything red. Made my bean soup look and taste nasty. Only happened once but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Pun intended. My favorite is Korbert.

Bigdog said:
The only time I used a Smithfield ham, it came out too salty. Have you not had that problem?

Ok. What ham should I use? Trout, you know me, I live not far from you. Ive been a Virginian my whole life - all Ive ever known is Smithfield hams. When I think of ham, I think salty because thats the way they come. And to be honest I like it that way. My 78 year old dad still has his Pa's old smoke houses. Sadly, he uses them as storage sheds now-a-days. But you know darn well back in the day they saw some serious pork curing!

So, what ham should I buy to double smoke?

Trout_man22 said:
If you can not find the Watkins items in your area (like me) you can order it on line at:

www.WatkinsOnline.com

This is a little OT but it's just too funny to not share. My bride was running in to town today to do some shopping. We've got a natural food co op in town and I thought that they may just know where to purchase Watkins products. My bride stopped in to ask and they directed her to a fine old couple's home. You know, the older folks that love to visit. Now my bride is a bit of a talker also. To sum it up, she just called on her cell phone and informed me She's running late as she just spent the last hour having tea with them. I think that one is gonna cost me.

It may cost you, but she probably made that older couple's day! Did she get the Watkin's stuff?

Brauma said:
Ok. What ham should I use? Trout, you know me, I live not far from you. Ive been a Virginian my whole life - all Ive ever known is Smithfield hams. When I think of ham, I think salty because thats the way they come. And to be honest I like it that way. My 78 year old dad still has his Pa's old smoke houses. Sadly, he uses them as storage sheds now-a-days. But you know darn well back in the day they saw some serious pork curing!

So, what ham should I buy to double smoke?

I still say go with Cook's if you can get one. I've made four of these ham's. Two with Cook's and two with Smithfield. The Cook's hams turned out much better both times. Make sure you get a bone in ham. The boneless are not worth the time and effort. I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.

Neil said:
I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.

Yeah... I've noticed the same thing here... When I do find ones that aren't spiral-sliced, they are small.

Neil said:
I still say go with Cook's if you can get one. I've made four of these ham's. Two with Cook's and two with Smithfield. The Cook's hams turned out much better both times. Make sure you get a bone in ham. The boneless are not worth the time and effort. I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.
Has anyone tried smoking one of the spiral sliced ones?

The problem with spiral hams is when you heat them up they dry out, that said I know someone who wrapped one tight in plastic wrap and injected it. It a messy deal but the injection did help keep moisture levels higher during cook. I would put some smoke on for a couple of hours then wrap and take up to finish temp.
Jim

Back