High Plains Pies - Ongoing w/ Pr0N

Dumb question perhaps, but do you use a stone with this?

No dumb questions here. The inside of the oven has a large baking stone on the bottom. You should be able to see it in one of the photos up there - the one with the flames licking along the top of the oven.

Yeah, I see the stone.

OK.......now you did it.............

I want one!

I'm really looking forward to your impressions on this cooker....and some pRon. :-D

Last edited:
Sauce is on to simmer:

lCQ9vOEh.jpg

To help my dear wife recover from several celebratory days of "cheating" on her gluten-free allergy, we're going to roll with some of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Dough Mix.

Thanks to BDAABAT, we've got the 00 Milled Flour inbound from Amazon for our next big cook.

More to come.

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Mix Dough before the rise:

AyvzlY6h.jpg

Starting off from about 72F in the UUNI:

2qM23wGh.jpg

CINCHOUSE prepared the first pie - Straight Margherita - Basil ready post-oven - Gluten Free crust is going to be a bit difficult, methinks.

0KXhfEXh.jpg

This little oven is a blast.

RFG9zlSh.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with the crust on this gluten free pizza dough after a trip through the UUNI!

s2WDuIuh.jpg

The margherita pie turned out fantastic. Nothing fancy, but just the basics.

sdFwCeZh.jpg

I went out to fire up the oven again, and was concerned with the temp underneath the oven. I'd put a sheet pan under the oven, and here's the temp. It DID climb up to about 100F, but it wasn't up in the 160-180F range during my test firing.

EwKb9cLh.jpg

OOPS! Let the oven get a bit hot... :shock:

a82xxWzh.jpg

For the second pizza, we got a little crazy.

Half & Half:

1. Pizza Sauce, Prosciutto, Fresh Mozzarella
2. Light brush of EVOO, thinly sliced granny smith apples, sharp blue cheese crumbles, and post-oven honey drizzle

pMkjUqIh.jpg

z1JhZ5Ih.jpg

ek0mL4Kh.jpg

Overall Impressions & Thoughts:
- The videos I watched were key to us purchasing a second peel (especially if using sticky gluten-free dough). It made the prep and cooking process SO much nicer/easier.
- If you're cooking pizzas in this thing, DO THAT and JUST THAT. Set a timer for 15-20 seconds when you close the oven door. Check it on time. An extra 5-10 sec could burn the bejeezus out of your pie if you're faffing about.
- This oven is FUN and makes good pies with significantly less work than I was expecting. I seriously thought that our first pie would be a wash, but both were excellent... especially for our first attempt!

Thanks for stopping in and for joining the journey. I'm sure I'll harass you folks with many more pies in the future.

Kind regards and a very pleasant evening,
Shadow

Wheat Montana Natural White All-Purpose Flour is pretty good, too. It's a cut above King Arthur, imho. My local Sprouts stocks it.

Wheat Montana is from my family's town of Three Forks MT where I used to be able to walk in and order what ever grind of flour I needed. I miss 1992....

Looks like a lot of fun Marc! Looking forward to some more awesome pies!!!

P.S. How long does it take to get to temp?

Looking good!

Couple suggestions based on our experience with the Blackstone pizza oven:

For helping keep the dough from sticking to the peel (and if it's OK with your wife's dietary needs), you may want to try using what the pizza shops use - semolina:
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mil...&qid=1515374364&sr=8-3&keywords=semolina&th=1

The semolina acts like little ball bearings to help keep the dough from sticking.

Before we tried semolina, I ended up inadvertently creating a couple calzones when the dough stuck in one place to the peel during launch. :mmph:

For moving the pizza from the oven to inside and keeping the crust from getting any hint of sogginess, try a pizza screen:

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Inter...15374473&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=pizza+screen

Our process is: prep dough for launch on the wooden peel by sprinkling liberally with semolina. Then place the dough on the peel, add toppings, then send outside to the oven for launch. Have metal peel waiting outside along with screen. Once pie is ready to come out of the oven, retrieve from the oven using the metal peel, then transfer the cooked pie to the screen for transport. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. :becky:

For when you're doing more than just a small batch of dough, consider using a proofing box:
https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-DB182...1515374568&sr=1-4&keywords=dough+proofing+box

For options to consider for dough, this site has excellent options:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=12

Good luck!

Bruce

Tops, Bruce! Appreciate the suggestions and insights into your process.

We have much to learn.

I fired up the Uuni this weekend because my BS oven motor wouldn’t start :mmph: (Turns put it was a faulty AC adapter)

I actually hadn’t used it much lately but I was able to get it good and hot quickly and made 2 emergency pies since my nephew and his wife arrived early and we needed an appetizer :icon_smile_tongue:

Maybe it was because we were hungry but it was some of our best pizzas yet:thumb: I’m planning on using it more, maybe some veggies :biggrin1:

I fired up the Uuni this weekend because my BS oven motor wouldn’t start :mmph:

Not needing to fire up the oven to "blazing hot" and thus heat up the kitchen is one of the reasons I bought the UUNI. And the fact that I can heat it up and be ready to cook in about 15 minutes (that's a tad on the long side... closer to 12-13) is impressive!

Funny you should mention making pies - We had a hankering for an old German Fest favorite - Flammkuchen (Good Recipe Here)

Here are the ingredients:
1/3 pound of bacon
2 small white onions
sea salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups finely grated gruyère
flour
pizza dough
black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives

We went gluten free with Bob's Red Mill again, but we split the resulting dough into 3 pies (vs. 2). We still can't get this quite thin enough, but it's a work in progress.

Ly0dPTth.jpg

pvq1l9Jh.jpg

Then, I got a little crazy and went on a tangent as a New Mexican Flammkuchen - same idea with the crème fraîche base, but with "lardons" of last night's beef short rib, a little of the bacon, a few of the sautéed onions, quesadilla cheese, and hot Hatch green chile. Here's the end product, including a "cordoned off area with no hot Hatch, reserved for the munchkin."

9PlgxZyh.jpg

Not needing to fire up the oven to "blazing hot" and thus heat up the kitchen is one of the reasons I bought the UUNI. And the fact that I can heat it up and be ready to cook in about 15 minutes (that's a tad on the long side... closer to 12-13) is impressive!

What lighting method you using? When I first got my Uuni I think it got to around 800-900 degrees. On subsequent cooks had trouble getting it up to temp, can't think of what I changed. I usually start it by dumping a handful in the tray and using a weed burner but I never got it back to that blazing hot fire. Maybe the pellets absorbed some moisture or something.

Last weekend I left the tray open a bit and kept the hopper topped off. Also used a butane torch that they recommend. That seemed to work much better - I didn't take temps because I was in a hurry but pies were done in 5 or so minutes.

Funny you should mention making pies - We had a hankering for an old German Fest favorite - Flammkuchen (Good Recipe Here)

Here are the ingredients:
1/3 pound of bacon
2 small white onions
sea salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups finely grated gruyère
flour
pizza dough
black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives

We went gluten free with Bob's Red Mill again, but we split the resulting dough into 3 pies (vs. 2). We still can't get this quite thin enough, but it's a work in progress.

Then, I got a little crazy and went on a tangent as a New Mexican Flammkuchen - same idea with the crème fraîche base, but with "lardons" of last night's beef short rib, a little of the bacon, a few of the sautéed onions, quesadilla cheese, and hot Hatch green chile. Here's the end product, including a "cordoned off area with no hot Hatch, reserved for the munchkin."

Looks delicious - we tried the GF flour from Costco per wife's request but I could never get it to where I liked it. We're not GF so I've sticking with bread flour for now :-D

What lighting method you using?

I've got a small propane torch from the hardware store, like I saw someone use in a setup video. I generally fill up the firebox with pellets and send in the controlled flame via the hole on the side. I'll typically keep the flame on it for about 90-120 seconds, and see how that does. If I need to get some more airflow, I'll open the front of the oven and leave the top off the hopper for a good minute or two, then replace them both.

... we tried the GF flour from Costco per wife's request but I could never get it to where I liked it. We're not GF so I've sticking with bread flour for now :-D

GF breads are difficult to work with and tough to get the texture "right."

I look forward to trying the "regular" dough with the 00 milled flour.

Back