Choosing Competitions...Your Results!

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here are your top 5 reasons (from 4 BBQ forums) for choosing a competition...

1. Distance...how close it is to home.
2. Entry Fee...how much it costs to enter.
3. Reputation...family friendly, organizers take care of the teams.
4. Pay-Outs...prize money (comparable to entry fees).
5. Location...easy access, level sites, grass vs. asphalt.

Thanks!

JD

Are you saying you want the rank of callouts/payouts to top 10, or a top 10 list of reasons? *lol*

dmp

I have a suggestion for another thread/survey... Ron Cates seems to think we all only do this for the money. He insists to a point that it's a little freaky! I'm guessing by payout being only number 4, he's friggin WRONG (as I suspected anyway). So, how about the reasons you compete in the first place? That might add some insight to why some of the choices in your other two surveys were made.

I think Mr. Cates is correct in one important aspect. If a promoter like him desires to create a new contest that will draw hundreds of teams, a giant payout is the fastest, most reliable way to acheive that goal. Yes, it can be done by other means (The Jack being a prime example), but that takes time to build a reputation.

If you are willing and able to hand out bags of cash a lot of teams will seriously consider a new contest much farther away than they would ever think about for typical prize money. Of course after the first year the reputation (good or bad) becomes a factor too, regardless of the payout.

I compete because I love to BBQ and I have always competed at something my whole life. I like to party, laugh, but I like to win. With that said payout is high on our list because I like to compete for free.

I've done a few of Ron Cates tournaments and they are among my favorites. Not for the money but for the big name teams it brings in. I enjoy seeing where I (being an average joe) compare to them. And sometimes you can pull off a good call or two.

I will say money is in our top 3 reasons to do a contest. It's a matter of being able to recoup some of the costs. If there is a big pot a call will get some of your money back. At a contest with a small pot you have to nearly win to get your entry fee back.

Back