I'm Going to Lockhart, TX!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just got the news this week. My job is sending me to Austin, TX which about 45 minutes away from Lockhart the BBQ capital of TX. I am so excited and wanted to share the news with people who would understand how cool it is.

I mentioned to some co-workers that I will be making the pilgrimage to Lockhart and they looked at me like a calf in head lights and asked why I didn't just get them to ship some BBQ to me. Whatever.

My trip is in December, so I have some time to plan it. I will visit the Salt Lick and then Smitty's, Kreuz, and Blacks all documented with pictures and copious notes.

I will try my best to describe the flavor of the BBQ from each place and find out as much as I can about replicating it at home.

I'd like to share the trip with the brethren so, what details would you find interesting to find out and what pics would you like to see?

I would say City Market in Luling and Coopers in Llano would be better stops. Of those on your list the Salt lick wins on atmosphere and byob.

That's awesome - and why I enjoy the BBQ Bible book so much. To be able to travel around and be exposed to all kinds and styles of BBQ - that's a dream come true!

Congrats on your opportunity! I look forward to hearing what you find . . .

If you're staying in Austin, check out Franklin BBQ, THEN go to Lockhart. Franklin starts with the best meat, and simple cooking technique.

They were just recently voted best BBQ in the country (it's due to the quality of meat and simple cooking style, very easy to repeat)

Don't waste your time with Rudy's, it's the McDonalds of BBQ joints.

Man, that is absolutely cool! I travel a fair amount with my job and I always seek out BBQ joints where ever I travel. Looking forward to the pron from your trip! Enjoy the trip and the experience.

I wish I could make that barbecue crawl with ya. One of them is closed on Sunday, I'm thinkiing it's Smittys?? Get with thillin, Ty would know.

Also you can buy the rub at both Kreuz and Smitty's. They only sell it at the store, no internet sales.

Have a great trip !!!! Can't wait to read about your thoughts and see your pics as well.

Definitely head to City Market in Luling too...about 10-15 miles south of Lockhart... It's worth it.

This was my recap of my trip back in April (City Market in Luling, Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz all in Lockhart, Louis Muellers in Taylor and Snow's in Lexington all done between Friday Afternoon and Sat morning/early afternoon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103189&highlight=brooklyn

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/Texas%20BBQ/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:
Totally jealous here! I look forward to hearing about it. Get some Elgin sausage while yer there. Did I mention I was jealous?

Great trip in store for you. Be sure to check out the hours they will be open. Noontime is gonna be better since some close at 6:00 PM or so and are closed Sundays as mentioned above.

Salt Lick isn't the best BBQ, but it sure is an experience. The long wait is part of it, so get yourself a cooler of beer and get with the program.:becky:

Try the sausage at Mueller's.
The 1 1/2" pork chops are good at many places.

Taylor Cafe has a "Locals" throw back entry door insider joke. Whites use the door on the RR track side, Hispanics the front door on one side and blacks the other front door.

Cooper's in Llano is good.

+1 on City Market in Luling like Vinnie said if you can find the time. Same goes for Mullers in Taylor.

Thanks brethren for the tips! I will have most of the day Saturday to get to as many BBQ restaurants as possible that are outside of Austin. If they are in Austin I will visit them on weekday evenings. Unless I decide to fly in a day early, I will be arriving on a Wed. evening and flying out on the following Sunday morning.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking I should be able to get by Snows by 8am Saturday and then make the ~ 1 hour drive down to Lockhart by 11:30am. Is that doable?

Have a great trip !!!! Can't wait to read about your thoughts and see your pics as well.

Definitely head to City Market in Luling too...about 10-15 miles south of Lockhart... It's worth it.

This was my recap of my trip back in April (City Market in Luling, Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz all in Lockhart, Louis Muellers in Taylor and Snow's in Lexington all done between Friday Afternoon and Sat morning/early afternoon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103189&highlight=brooklyn

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/Texas BBQ/?albumview=slideshow

Wow! That's an awesome trip! Thanks for posting it here.

I have yet to hear from anyone who has eaten at Franklin. He certainly has achived quite a following in 2 years.

Anyone on this fourm ever eaten there?

You have an itinerary lined up that will take you to all the of the best que.

If you feel like waiting in line for several hours to see what Franklin is all about, by all means do so, let us know how it compares with all the other stops on your journey.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks brethren for the tips! I will have most of the day Saturday to get to as many BBQ restaurants as possible that are outside of Austin. If they are in Austin I will visit them on weekday evenings. Unless I decide to fly in a day early, I will be arriving on a Wed. evening and flying out on the following Sunday morning.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking I should be able to get by Snows by 8am Saturday and then make the ~ 1 hour drive down to Lockhart by 11:30am. Is that doable?

Yes.. definitely doable.. get to Snow's early.. As you saw from my pics, there was a small line in the early Sat AM... have a BBQ breakfast, you can easily be gone by 10 depending if you hang around and then get back to Lockhart by well before noon and could go to City Market in Luling too as well as Lockhart. I went to Snow's then to Taylor, TX to Louie Muellers and planned on Taylor Cafe around the corner but was stuffed.. but regret not going.

Wow! That's an awesome trip! Thanks for posting it here.

Thanks !! I hope you have the same great experience..

I will visit the Salt Lick and then Smitty's, Kreuz, and Blacks all documented with pictures and copious notes.

I've been to all of them over the years. And, a few others in the Hill Country. I like your choices. I also like Coopers.

I use The Salt Lick's rub recipe a lot. It is very simple. I love it.

Have fun!

CD

Back