MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Stupid Question on KCBS Rules

What is the KCBS rule on this:

I got asked the following question and didn't know the answer and I am not
a judge.

Question:

If KCBS judging is blind. Can your team compete while another family
member judges? IE: (Wife, Son, Brother, or, Father)

I haven't been in this situation nor do I plan on it as for me it feels wrong.
At the same time I wasn't able to answer the question based on the official
rules. So can somebody let me know what the official rule is.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Our son just became a CBJ. I'd feel queasy about competing in the same venue where he was judging. However, I don't know the specific rule, and I'd like to now that this has come up.

What if a boyfriend is competing while his girlfriend is judging? No documented family relationship there to enforce, but the same appearance of impropriety. At the very least, there's a familiarity with food product/flavor profile that an otherwise unrelated judge would not have.

I've seen the discussion dismissed by saying that the likelihood of one judge getting the related party's food is minimal and normally wouldn't occur in more than one category, if then, but that's not a distinct ruling. I don't think it's a dumb question, I just think most of us don't have the occasion to ask it.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes it can be done. As long as the one judging has not been in the cooking site the day of the judging. I got a RGC last year when the GC's Father and the cooks spouse was judging. It was all legal cause they both stayed in a hotel Friday night.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I don't think it would be a problem. I doubt I could pick out my own box in a field of 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
Yes it can be done. As long as the one judging has not been in the cooking site the day of the judging. I got a RGC last year when the GC's Father and the cooks spouse was judging. It was all legal cause they both stayed in a hotel Friday night.
Must have been a Holiday Inn Express.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

points well made...

I help out another team quite often, and table captained at a couple of events where he cooked. I know what his boxes look like, and what the profile is.... can I tell you if any of his boxes came across my table... NO... I saw several that could have been, but know way to tell for sure.... so I don't see a problem with it, and I think KCBS knows that as well. And the rules to do say that the judges can not be with the teams the day of judging....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

legal? yes.

1 judge, at 1 table, has very very very little chance of enhancing the outcome of 1 specific team.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not permitted here in PNWBA land...and I would not do it for KCBS...I would know our flavor profile in a heartbeat...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
JerryA
On the road to being a farker

I wouldn't want my wife judging... she's my worst critic!
JerryA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

For those saying it is a non issue, because it is unlikely to have an outcome on a contest ..... How much time do you spend arranging your ribs to eek out an extra digit on an appearance score.

It matters, rule or not. I know of no rule, but would suggest those considering judging where a family member is cooking to reconsider. Also, re read Phils treatise on Bretheren judging Bretheren.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
For those saying it is a non issue, because it is unlikely to have an outcome on a contest ..... How much time do you spend arranging your ribs to eek out an extra digit on an appearance score.

It matters, rule or not. I know of no rule, but would suggest those considering judging where a family member is cooking to reconsider. Also, re read Phils treatise on Bretheren judging Bretheren.
agreed.

but, there has been much discussion on cheating and the odds that out of say 35 teams, YOUR box lands on YOUR accomplices table AND they can affect the overall outcome is quite slim.

moreover, do you think a judge that sits at many contests over the season in a particular area can't tell a specific high profile teams' entry and might score them up just cuz of "who they are"?

we have to go with it's blind or find another way.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

As long as the wife, brother, child, etc is out of your booth by 12:01 am on Saturday, no rules are being broken...

So to be evil and propose a scenario

3 guys are on a team
All 3 have wives that are certified judges
The wives have a couple brothers and a sister that are CBJ's
Friday night they all build turn in boxes...making a cute little design with the parsley in the upper right corner of the box that only they recognize
6 CBJ'S 6 different Tables as per the rules of relations sitting together.
Now you got 1 judge at each table that knows your entry by its secret design...

I know its not likely, but it only takes 1 diabolic BBQ mastermind to get your team 999 on at least 1 judge. If one of these evil implanted judges is sitting in the center next to a few newbies then...

How many times have you been judging and caught the newbie to your left or right checking out your card???

I know...WAY OUT THERE...but what makes it scary is it is possible.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #12
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have posed this question to both KCBS Reps and KCBS BoD members in the past and the answer I have been given is as follows:

If the Contest Rep is made aware that there is a Judge at the contest who has a high degree of familiarity with a competing teams product, the Contest Rep is to make sure that the competing team's boxes never hit the table where the Judge is sitting and that the competing team's boxes also never hit the same table twice. In a situation where there are only four tables, (24 teams or less at a contest) the Judge will not be allowed to eat but could serve as a Table Captain or in another position within the Judges Tent. This would apply to Judges who are family members and/or current or former team members.

Do I like that position statement? No. I think it is totally inappropriate that a familiar party be either a Judge or Table Captain as I believe it to be possible for someone to be biased or to create a bias in either position.

Do I think that position statement will change? No. After all, no one would ever cheat or do anything unethical in order to win a contest or gain entry into an invitational event, right?
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
I have posed this question to both KCBS Reps and KCBS BoD members in the past and the answer I have been given is as follows:

If the Contest Rep is made aware that there is a Judge at the contest who has a high degree of familiarity with a competing teams product, the Contest Rep is to make sure that the competing team's boxes never hit the table where the Judge is sitting and that the competing team's boxes also never hit the same table twice. In a situation where there are only four tables, (24 teams or less at a contest) the Judge will not be allowed to eat but could serve as a Table Captain or in another position within the Judges Tent. This would apply to Judges who are family members and/or current or former team members.

Do I like that position statement? No. I think it is totally inappropriate that a familiar party be either a Judge or Table Captain as I believe it to be possible for someone to be biased or to create a bias in either position.

Do I think that position statement will change? No. After all, no one would ever cheat or do anything unethical in order to win a contest or gain entry into an invitational event, right?
I still feel that the judge in question would still be able to make a difference. They don't have to recognize their own families box. If they judge all the rest on the lower side like 6 or 7's that will keep them out of the winners circle. Yes, they drop the lowest score but then you must keep a low score thats not the family member.

Basically I think if they are needed in the judges tent them table captain.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
I still feel that the judge in question would still be able to make a difference. They don't have to recognize their own families box. If they judge all the rest on the lower side like 6 or 7's that will keep them out of the winners circle. Yes, they drop the lowest score but then you must keep a low score thats not the family member.

Basically I think if they are needed in the judges tent them table captain.
hadn't thought of it that way. fark.

still, hopefully someone would notice out of wack scores though. hopefully.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
rcorun
Knows what a fatty is.

It is allowed but I dont agree with it. Just seems wrong. At one contest there was 3
people from different teams judging that day. that means 3 out of the 7 tables at that event had a team family member. Just Sayin
rcorun is offline   Reply With Quote