MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #16
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Yo thanks, Chingador. I was wondering how soon to start cutting the vents before target. (about 50 degrees, and step it down rather than choke it quick for consistency).

My buddy (previous owner) warned me about the porous ceramic, the backdraft at high temps, and even passed a pair of welder gloves along with the free kamado. Helluva good guy, eh? I'd always used chimneys - never lighter fluid -- with my old weber kettle.

On this topic, which is better for igniting the lump in a kamado for low and slow:
--A. ignite the lump in a kamado with a starter cube at the peak of the pile?
or
--B. ignite a partial chimney of lump, let it get going for a while (all white), and dump that onto the pile?

It could be preference -- maybe I'm over thinking this. A above seems like it would take longer but reduce the chance of overshooting the target, but B would get the pile smoldering evenly more quickly...

Anyway, thanks again for all that great information earlier!
Option a for sure. I don't know about the peak. I bury a tumbleweed in the middle with a few coals on top of it and go from there

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Thx Arclite. Man... I didn't get rid of my kettle, but a south Philly back area can't accommodate both that and my new kamado. My old, trusty kettle now resides at my parents' place in the wilds of Jersey, and I'll be firing it up whenever the opportunity arises.
Totally understandable. I'm also an urban dweller...

it's the one thing stopping me from getting a stick burner.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #18
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just use Lump charcoal Only.No water,diffuser for low and slow.Watch the vents and catch the temp on the way up.Wayyyy easier to heat it up more than the drop the temp.If you are gonna do pizza,,Use a diffiusser plate and something to create a gap between the diffuser plate and a secondary pizza cooking surface(pizza stone) etc.Other words,use two diffuser plates.You can also buy an extra grate and elevate it above the original grate with spacers to cook "raised direct",excellent for chicken.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #19
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Get a CGS spider and a 16” stone or two half stones for a deflector. Much better than the Pit Boss plate setter style.

They also sell a 16” DRIP pan. No need for water but it is nice to keep the grease off the stone and keep it from burning and flavoring your food. Just put a thin spacer between the stone and pan (I often just roll up foil scraps, 1/8-1/4” will do) and that fat won’t smoke at all below 350 and not much until you get into the 400’s.

Kamado Guru has a Pit Boss sub forum with tips on minor mods to make it seal better etc. and it is the best place on the web for Pit Boss specific Kamado questions.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #20
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

If you couldn't tell, you've found the right place.

Glad you joined up.

If you haven't browsed over to the Roadmap to the Q-Talk forum, I highly suggest it. That thing's got more topics, ideas, great info, and rabbit holes than will keep you busy for a month of pleasure reading!

Enjoy the new piece of kit. Post a few photos when you can. We all enjoy ogling the Pr0n.

Kind regards and thin blue.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

A lot of great tips already mentioned. Make sure you stay on top of the gasket condition. If the gasket is bad, you won’t be able to control temp at all. Do the dollar bill test all around with the lid closed. If the bill pulls out easily, either the gasket is bad or the bands need to be readjusted. A lot of youtube vid’s to walk you through it. Lunchman mentioned chasing temps. It will drive you crazy if you do it. For most cooks, if I’m somewhere between 275 and 300 then I’m happy. I use the Igrill2 to monitor grill temp and IT. It takes all the guesswork out. Great pick up, you’re going to love it!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

The Cowboy lump I got once had scrap wood in it- pieces of molding etc At the time others had the same experience I don't know if they fixed it but I never went back to it My go to lump is Wicked Good Also like RO and Chefs Select
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
JMM
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : J.
Wink

Hey once again thanks to all of the veteran brethren that have replied thus far with tips and advice! I've totally found the right place and I'm glad I did... searching the web before getting here led me to a lot of conflicting and bad information... so many people so eager to share online that they never take the time to verify the "knowledge" they're passing along first.

I do have a quick, specific question for M-fine (or anyone who can answer it) regarding the comment below:
Quote:
Get a CGS spider and a 16” stone or two half stones for a deflector. Much better than the Pit Boss plate setter style... They also sell a 16” DRIP pan.
What does the acronym CGS stand for? I'm looking to order my plate-setter this weekend, and I'd love to get an alternative to the Pit Boss/Louisiana brand one -- as long as it works well. The one that fits my kamado is like $60...
JMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #24
Big George's BBQ

Most Likely Ceramic Grill Store- great products I have a raised grid from them for my Egg and Love it
KCBS

Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #25
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes, the Ceramic Grill Store. They make some custom deflector and grate systems for the major ceramic cooker brands. They have the best stuff for a Pit Boss K24 if you are willing to invest some coin to take it to the next level.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collec...o-grill-costco

I have two spiders and the adjustable rig with several of their heavy duty stainless grates, drip pans and stones. I recently smoked 3 levels of pastrami indirect with a deflector in place which is more than double what I could fit on the factory 2 level grates with the ****ty leg placement.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #26
LocoLeonard
Got Wood.

1. So I only use a MAPP gas torch. They are a bit pricey but last a long time. My first bottle lasted around four years. I just light a couple of spots. I leave the bottom vent wide open & the lid open & give it a chance to get burning. Once it's caught on pretty good I close the lid & leave the top vent wide open. After a while I'll start closing down vents to regulate the temperature.
2. I add a few chunks of wood here & there. Some are small & some are large.
3. I have never used a water pan. This idea just scares me.
4. Make sure you clean your kamado out periodocially. Once in a while I'll just let mine burn up the remaining charcoal because all of the little stuff really starves my Primo for air. About once every six months I pull the fire box out & do a real good ash clean up. On mine the air holes in the bottom of the fire box get clogged up with grease & ashes plus you'll get ashes & junk betheen the kamado & the fire box.
5. What I would suggest is just go out & start a fire in your this weekend. Don't plan on cooking anything. Just practice getting the fire going & managing temperatures. I did this one Saturday & it did me a worls of good.
6. Another tidbit I read somewhere was to get your vents basically where you want them, then adjust using the top vent. The bottom vent is for major adjustments & the top vent is for minor adjustments.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #27
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

1. Yes to heat deflector
2. No to water pan
3. Chunks but you wont need a lot. Lump charcoal.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #28
JMM
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : J.

Yo M-Fine, ordered a spider and a two-piece (half circles) ceramic plate setter from Ceramic Grill Store. Thanks for the link! Maybe I'll set a new post with some pics when I get it in and try it out. Thanks again.
JMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
Big George's BBQ

Just remember have fun
KCBS