MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Default Considerations from experts & novices: 5th Wheel or RV?

Gentz n Ladies,

Been hovering through these forums and most of the posts on rvs, campers, and 5th wheels for comps are from 4 or 5 years ago. Some older. So i wanted ti start a new thread and see what folks are leaning these days. And for those that bought a few years ago would you buy the same set up again or make changes. For context here are my considerations. Fam of 4 (kids in elementary), i have a 17' pull behind smoker (not enclosed), 2WD expedition w/out tow package so tow capacity is out 6k lbs. Im not opposed to changing my cook style for a Toy hauler with a couple of kamados or stumps but i would need a bigger truck. The options i have seen in terms of popularity appear below in descending order:
1. Dedicated enclosed comp trailer with smokers that roll out
2. 5Th wheel toy hauler w/ roll out smokers
3. Pop-up tent with a variety of smokers (this is my current set up; 10x10 and my 17' pull-behind which all makes it in one trip with my tent and tables in my expedition)
4. RV with a pull behind smoker
5. RV with a comp trailer from opt 1

Things i have considered so far are:
A. Current smoker
B. Current vic
C. Multi-functionality of RV or trailer
D. Family
E. Price
F. Cleanliness
G. Contests that RV friendly
H. Resale of whatever camper i get in case i want to upgrade
I. Buying new smokers with a toy hauler since i cant tow my trailer behind a trailer (this isnt really a consideration haha any excuse i can find for a new smoker is a good one)
J. Set-up 5 is what i believe i eventually want to get to.

What are your thoughts?
TremendousQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
qmeister
Got rid of the matchlight.

In GA most contests are RV friendly, since that's pretty much the only place I compete, with the occasional out of state trip for a special event, that's all I can speak to. I only do 5ish events a year so my current setup with an expedition, 5X10 enclosed cargo trailer and canopies works, it's not the most comfortable and it is less so if we bring anyone besides my wife and I. So now you know where I'm coming from here are my thoughts on your sit.

With family I would definitely lean toward a setup that allowed for comfortable sleeping arrangements. We had an OLD Class C motor home for a couple of years, and it was nice to have it packed with the essentials all the time, made it nice when the sons came along, even bringing their girl friends there were places to sleep besides under the stars. What we didn't like was that once we were at the site and setup we were pretty much stuck at the comp, we couldn't run out for dinner or any exploring unless we caught a ride with someone else.
I've looked at tag-a-long style toy haulers (16'-25') and used ones in good shape are fairly affordable, but those would be something you hauled stuff to the comp and unloaded completely so the garage could be converted to living space (unless you got something 29' or longer). A shorter one could be fitted with a hitch to pull your existing smoker behind the first trailer, no backing, but doable with the expedition. I think what we are aiming for at this point is a dedicated cook trailer with a bunk bed sleeping area and a new to us 3/4 diesel truck (the expedition tows ok, but in the hills it really has to work and it does have 180K miles on it).
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
DR
Take a breath!

I have a 30' bumper pull toy hauler that i load everything in and out of the back, pulled by a 2500 chevy 4x4. I am EVENTUALLY switching to a class C RV with a 12' pull behind trailer. My current set up takes me about 2-2/12 hours to set up by myself and in the hot Texas sun, that can be draining. Tear down is also a pain. Plus it kills my gas mileage.

My thoughts on the class C rv is this. The inside is set up completely and i would just plug in and that is done in 5 minutes. The 10 or 12' trailer would be set up in a fashion where everything had its place and all i would have to do is roll out my smoker, and i am ready. Total set up time would be less than 45 minutes to an hour (On a bad day).

The toyhaulers set up high and it takes a pretty good wench to get my smoker in and out.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

We have a 14' with 3 ft v nose aluminum covered trailer. We had an awening put on and hardly ever need a pop-up. Roll out my two Humphrey's smokers, my wash basin (bulit one) and a few tables and I am done setting up. I have a stainless table inside with a fridge in the V. Set-up takesa bout 15 minutes and tear down takes about the same. We are sipping beer and relaxing within 30 minutes of our last turn-in. The price points you speak of are very different. I am about $4,000 in plus the smokers.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

If you are going to buy a new truck and 5th wheel, do it for reasons outside of BBQ.

Been a long time since I've seen a contest not RV friendly. 7 years ago when we started 2-3 teams had cook trailers, now its 2-3 teams without some form of enclosed/toyhauler/camper around here.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Take a look at It's 5 o'Clock Somewhere competition team on Facebook. The have a class C RV and a porch trailer with their cookers and an inside kitchen.

We cook out of a 25' toy hauler and it works well for us. We've thought about the RV route, but there have been quite a few times where we had to run out to get something while at the comp site and that would not be possible with an RV.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
DR
Take a breath!

Ron-I cant find them on FB. You have a link?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I've not done toy hauler, but have cooked out of a 7x16 trailer for a number of years. Got the pull behind Jambo J3 and cooked out of the back of my pickup truck under an easy up. Got lucky and used winnings from GC for a downpayment on a Class B RV (2500 sprinter van). I loved that van! Great gas mileage and lots of pull power. Decided I needed something newer and ended up in a Class C. What a disaster that was! No power, 2500 max pull load. After the 3rd accident I traded and went back to a Class B, Winnebago Travato. Very nice RV. More pull power than the C.

My situation is a bit different. I travel by myself. If I'm on a long trip, get tired, I really don't have to leave the vehicle to take care of stuff. Cooker is locked down to the hitch. Makes me feel safer.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
In GA most contests are RV friendly, since that's pretty much the only place I compete, with the occasional out of state trip for a special event, that's all I can speak to. I only do 5ish events a year so my current setup with an expedition, 5X10 enclosed cargo trailer and canopies works, it's not the most comfortable and it is less so if we bring anyone besides my wife and I. So now you know where I'm coming from here are my thoughts on your sit.

With family I would definitely lean toward a setup that allowed for comfortable sleeping arrangements. We had an OLD Class C motor home for a couple of years, and it was nice to have it packed with the essentials all the time, made it nice when the sons came along, even bringing their girl friends there were places to sleep besides under the stars. What we didn't like was that once we were at the site and setup we were pretty much stuck at the comp, we couldn't run out for dinner or any exploring unless we caught a ride with someone else.
I've looked at tag-a-long style toy haulers (16'-25') and used ones in good shape are fairly affordable, but those would be something you hauled stuff to the comp and unloaded completely so the garage could be converted to living space (unless you got something 29' or longer). A shorter one could be fitted with a hitch to pull your existing smoker behind the first trailer, no backing, but doable with the expedition. I think what we are aiming for at this point is a dedicated cook trailer with a bunk bed sleeping area and a new to us 3/4 diesel truck (the expedition tows ok, but in the hills it really has to work and it does have 180K miles on it).
No girlfriends now and no boyfriends EVER (she knows better). The midgets are 4 and 6 lol as far as the set up I hear you on the dedicated cook trailer. In fact I think that is what we are leaning towards ultimately. but between now and then I think we want to try a class C while the midgets are still little and then a some point I will get a 3/4 as well and then that will open up the possibilities to trade in the Class C for a 5th wheel or something drivable and then once I have finally pulled the money together a full time dedicated competition trailer. p.s. I'm pushin my expedition to 225k at least haha my ol man made it to 285k before he had to let it go.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
I have a 30' bumper pull toy hauler that i load everything in and out of the back, pulled by a 2500 chevy 4x4. I am EVENTUALLY switching to a class C RV with a 12' pull behind trailer. My current set up takes me about 2-2/12 hours to set up by myself and in the hot Texas sun, that can be draining. Tear down is also a pain. Plus it kills my gas mileage.

My thoughts on the class C rv is this. The inside is set up completely and i would just plug in and that is done in 5 minutes. The 10 or 12' trailer would be set up in a fashion where everything had its place and all i would have to do is roll out my smoker, and i am ready. Total set up time would be less than 45 minutes to an hour (On a bad day).

The toyhaulers set up high and it takes a pretty good wench to get my smoker in and out.
Hey man so I think you are trying to do what I eventually want to do except I want a trailer at least twice size. My intent is to leave the fam-o-lee in the class C and have a full up prep/work area in the trailer. my thoughts were to keep the RV for living and trailer for competing. This way I am not tracking mud/dirt/meat crap in, out and all over the RV. this set up still requires no real set up or tear down (I know how brutal that southern sun can be). But let me ask you this, I see you are cooking with a stick burner (jambo). I am a bit of a nostalgist in that while I want a kamado style cooker (for home cooking), I want to continue to compete on a stick burner. Its the purest form of bbq in my book and i just cant see me with a mad scientist set up at a contest with all the BGE and BBQ gurus and feeling the same level of pride with calls. I know this can be a sensitive subject for some but i love stick burners! what will you cook on with a pull behind trailer or would you be pulling your jambo behind your trailer?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
We have a 14' with 3 ft v nose aluminum covered trailer. We had an awening put on and hardly ever need a pop-up. Roll out my two Humphrey's smokers, my wash basin (bulit one) and a few tables and I am done setting up. I have a stainless table inside with a fridge in the V. Set-up takesa bout 15 minutes and tear down takes about the same. We are sipping beer and relaxing within 30 minutes of our last turn-in. The price points you speak of are very different. I am about $4,000 in plus the smokers.
How do you like that size? I was think about something closer to 25'. but the wife and midgets still are there to hang out and have fun. I wonder if 14' wouldn't get a little cramped. Also, i would probably stick to a stick burner and would likely need a longer trailer because the cookers would be horizontal not vertical. but i definitely want a dedicated trailer!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Take a look at It's 5 o'Clock Somewhere competition team on Facebook. The have a class C RV and a porch trailer with their cookers and an inside kitchen.

We cook out of a 25' toy hauler and it works well for us. We've thought about the RV route, but there have been quite a few times where we had to run out to get something while at the comp site and that would not be possible with an RV.
No pix for 5'O Clock somewhere :( but for your 25' toy hauler, what was the unloaded weight and what do you think it weighs loaded? And what do you pull it with? i am almost positive i am going with a 3/4 diesel, can't see me needing much more than that knowing what i want to pull throughout my next 10-15 years.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
If you are going to buy a new truck and 5th wheel, do it for reasons outside of BBQ.

Been a long time since I've seen a contest not RV friendly. 7 years ago when we started 2-3 teams had cook trailers, now its 2-3 teams without some form of enclosed/toyhauler/camper around here.
100% agreed boss. the Mrs. and i are stationed in Tampa right now and with the dogs its a pain to travel for competitions or otherwise. i have been here for two years and have just 1 year left. we wanted to tailgate a Gators game, go to the keys, Orlando, naples, etc... but logisitics are a nightmare with dogs and midgets so everything keeps getting pushed tot he right until eventually we will be gone. since the midgets are only 6 and 4 i want them be comfortable where ever we go and their toys etc and of course bringing the dogs eliminates a day sitter or kennel so we are definitely leaning towards a class c to start out and then maybe upgrading from there.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #14
TremendousQue
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I've not done toy hauler, but have cooked out of a 7x16 trailer for a number of years. Got the pull behind Jambo J3 and cooked out of the back of my pickup truck under an easy up. Got lucky and used winnings from GC for a downpayment on a Class B RV (2500 sprinter van). I loved that van! Great gas mileage and lots of pull power. Decided I needed something newer and ended up in a Class C. What a disaster that was! No power, 2500 max pull load. After the 3rd accident I traded and went back to a Class B, Winnebago Travato. Very nice RV. More pull power than the C.

My situation is a bit different. I travel by myself. If I'm on a long trip, get tired, I really don't have to leave the vehicle to take care of stuff. Cooker is locked down to the hitch. Makes me feel safer.
if i was solo, i would definitely be looking into a class b to start out before i eventually got a dedicated trailer. I have only done 6 contests so far, so i am still very new, but i am always looking to make my life easier. i love stick burners and at the end of the day, any set up i have (i.e. RV, 5th wheel, class a/b/c, or pop up) i must have a stick burner!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #15
FashionBiff
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Not from a comp point of view but from Jeep trips I would go with anything but the RV. The plain and simple reason if you need to go somewhere, you can jump in your truck and go. Just a simpletons point of view.
FashionBiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, camper, competition bbq, how to choose, motor home, RVs, toy hauler, trailer