MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
pharp
Banned

Default Consistent Taste

Hi everyone. I just finished my second KCBS event and I have some questions about the taste scoring. My appearance scores were perfect, literally. However, I finished 20 out of 26...so that tells you all you need to know about my taste/tenderness scores. I feel like I know where I missed on tenderness, but taste has me puzzled. I know that judges and judging techniques are all different, but I am having trouble figuring out how to improve. Another thing is that geographically (located in Arkansas) I do not have access to a lot of competitions or the budget to travel to a lot of competitions. Only doing 4 competitions a year makes it hard to find out what "consistently works." Does anyone have success stories of what they did to improve their "taste scores." I need to take my 7's to 8's and my 8's to 9's to boost my score. Thanks in advance, you guys are all awesome.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Start nailing tenderness and your taste scores will go up also.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

I'm sure if you would PM some of the West Coast teams, they would be more than happy to help with the rub/flavoring.

Pretty sure if you nail the tenderness and use some Smokin' Guns Hot rub, you could hear your name called.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Start nailing tenderness (as mentioned above) and use products that have been known to score well.

Some examples that are well known on this site are Blues Hog Sauces, Smokin Guns rubs, Big Poppa Rubs, Head Country Sauces, Swamp Boys Sauces, Butcher BBQ Injections, Kosmos Q Injections

The list goes on and on. Hopefully this will get you started.

Also, practice, practice, practice at home on tenderness. Take a class. and practice some more

Good luck. Hopefully we will cross paths someday.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Not sure if this is a photo of an actual entry, or just an example of what comp bbq looks like. If it is a real entry, I would be careful about having the large pieces of "stuff" in your rub/sauce, as it could be visually detracting and also result in uneven taste depending on where a judge might bite

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Agreed with all posts thus far. Your brisket may taste phenomenal, but if it's tougher than shoe leather both scores will suffer.

Practice at home for sure.

Stick to the proven winners in flavorings. Blues hog on just about everything. Smokin' Guns hot on just about everything (I use on all 4 meats). Once you get the basic flavors, then you can start tweeking. Adding salt here, touch of sweet there.

When you are at a cook-off, ask a winning team if you can sample a bite. Some will be happy to share, but be careful, others are secretive.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
TheTeZ
Knows what a fatty is.

Like qbert said. Cooking for competition is not cooking for home. You need to basically use what everyone uses. If you are playing chef... it generally doesn't work too well. We moved up from bottom of the pack on everything to 2 name calls on our second comp by cooking just like everyone else. The tenderness thing may be the most important. If you stick with profiles that are widely used it's all down to how perfectly you can cook your meat. Once you.get a few higher scores, then start modifying the flavor profiles to see what you can do. Unfortunately you may want to buy some blues hog if you aren't already using it.
TheTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post

Stick to the proven winners in flavorings. Blues hog on just about everything. Smokin' Guns hot on just about everything (I use on all 4 meats).
Your forgot Cattle Prod and enhanced ribs!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Not sure if this is a photo of an actual entry, or just an example of what comp bbq looks like. If it is a real entry, I would be careful about having the large pieces of "stuff" in your rub/sauce, as it could be visually detracting and also result in uneven taste depending on where a judge might bite

Thanks for the advice...that was a picture I took illustrating what surprised me when I used granulated honey for the first time. I was very surprised at how it formed those little "pieces." I am going to order some of these rubs/sauces on a practice cook this weekend. A lot of people mention the same hot rub. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being equal to a blazing at Buffalo Wild Wings) where would most of you say your heat level falls (I realize different meats have different profiles, but for sake of assigning a heat level). I am afraid that I will scare judges with just the least bit of spice.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #10
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

If you're referring to Smokin' Guns Hot, it's not all that hot. Especially once it's been in a 225-300 degree smoker for 3-10 hours

I'd say it's a 6 on heat YMMV

The stuff wins so I wouldn't be worried about the heat too much

Old 05-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Bryan139
Knows what a fatty is.

I run my granulated honey thru my wife's nutra bullet. Just a quick pop or it'll turn to dust so fine you might create a new atomic particle or something.
Bryan139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Some heat is good. Treat it like other spices. Think balance.

Don't over do it ! Judges don't like it and neither do teams whose boxes follow your box at that table.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

BPS money is the new SGH
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
pharp
Banned

Thanks Right On... I am not so much concerned with the heat since that rub wins...just trying to get a point of reference when I am taste testing at home to see if I am in the proper heat range!

Old 05-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
pharp
Banned

Thanks Bryan...I actually started dissolving it in cola...works good for the color and got rid of the "pieces." I like the nutra bullet idea!

Tags
competition bbq, kcbs, scores, taste