MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #46
wags
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Any news on this? The teams that will sign up for this are already making their schedules. Some may be done. Would hate to see this contest lose its draw. This isn't a comp for the two a year folks. With that entry fee you want the big boys and the big boys (and girls) make their schedule as soon as possible.
Yeah. I'm in the two a year club. What a convoluted hot mess this contest sounds like. Only the big boys will be able to comply with all those requirements, and I'm sure the city will have some "surprises" during turn ins. Wish there were more tailgate/backyard comps in the area. The kcbs circuit is slowly becoming to expensive for the little guy
wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #47
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Yeah. I'm in the two a year club. What a convoluted hot mess this contest sounds like. Only the big boys will be able to comply with all those requirements, and I'm sure the city will have some "surprises" during turn ins. Wish there were more tailgate/backyard comps in the area. The kcbs circuit is slowly becoming to expensive for the little guy
This is on the very high end for KCBS fees, I wouldn't judge contests by this one. Try Taino's Smokehouse, RI Campus Cook Off, New London Best BBQ chef for more affordable area events.

The problem with tailgate events is that without the judging rules that KCBS provides, it's a real crap shoot. As much as we like to complain about KCBS judges on here, a backyard event judging process is likely to be a LOT worse. There are no standards, and sometimes no scoring system at all. We cooked in one once where we asked the organizer how the judges scored the entries...the answer was "I hadn't really thought about that."

So KCBS costs a little more, but you get more for it.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #48
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with above! These are all Great events!, but there still should be some type of backyard separate Comp to encourage those that want to get their feel wet.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #49
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Just read on World Food Championships website that...

"Bear's Smokehouse a Preferred Qualifying Event for 2015 WFC!"

http://worldfoodchampionships.com/ne...t-for-2015-wfc

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #50
mgp03051
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Wags check this one out 4 meats KCBS categories I cut my teeth at this event for 3 yrs before moving up to KCBS .. only $50 to enter great little contest , great venue, Matt and his group are the best.and grand prize they have given away Tragers, and Cookshacks in the past http://barnbrewbbq.com/1_2_Smoke-Off-2015.html
Sponsors
Humphrey's Smokers
White Birch Brewing Co.
Frontier Charcoal
Oakridge BBQ
Mojobricks
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/CanUSmellMyPitsBBQ?ref=hl[/URL]
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #51
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Anyone heard anything new here? Whats 5the final outcome with all the fees. Anyone have email contact or updates?

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #52
deez butts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Anyone heard anything new here? Whats 5the final outcome with all the fees. Anyone have email contact or updates?
This was the cost to just sign up for the KCBS contest:

$503.95

$100 of this is a cleanup deposit that is supposed to be refunded after the event if you don't make a mess.

If you sign up for just KCBS you get this email:

Thank you for registering for the Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships. In reviewing your application I see that you have elected to not participate in Saturday’s People’s Choice Event. As a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture, your participation in Saturday’s People’s Choice event is very important to us and we would very much like to have your support. In addition to receiving a preferred site assignment and donated meat, you can win up to $1,500 out of our $4,000 People’s Choice prize pool! Please also understand that we are only accepting applications from a limited number of cook teams. If we reach capacity and a waitlisted team is willing to participate in Saturday’s People’s Choice event, they will take priority over teams that only elect to compete on Sunday.
Please consider joining us for this great event. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #53
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Details are here: http://www.riverfront.org/events/bea...-championships

I believe WFC is full for this year, so you would be competing for a 2016 spot in WFC.

I heard the prize pool was reduced to 15k, but I haven't seen that in writing. The web site still says 20k, as does KCBS, so I'm hoping I'm wrong about that. People's Choice is 4k.

Since you can't see the fee schedule until you get into the registration process, I'm showing it here. It's a pretty substantial upfront investment vs. other contests in the region.
  • A Standard Site (20' X 20') is $400.00 (required)
  • Increase Site Space to 20' X 40': $100.00 (optional)
  • Registration Service Fee: $3.95 (required)
  • Security Deposit: $100 (required, refunded after the contest if you follow the rules)
  • People's Choice Permit: $75 (You pay the upfront cost, and the contest reimburses you after the department of health confirms your permit.)
  • 15 amps included, additional 15 amps: $50

So if you want a 20x40 and will cook People's Choice, your upfront cost is $678.95, with $175 potentially refundable.

In addition, any tent over 10'x10' requires a permit from the City of Hartford, unless you rent one of theirs.

Tent Rental (includes weights)
10' X 10' Tent: $175.00
20' X 20' Tent: $390.00

Table Rental
1 - 8' Table: $15.00
2 - 8' Tables: $30.00
3 - 8' Tables: $45.00
4 - 8' Tables: $60.00

Chair Rental
1 - Chair: $5.00
2 - Chairs: $10.00
3 - Chairs: $15.00
4 - Chairs: $20.00
5 - Chairs: $25.00

Load in is supposed to be Saturday morning at 8AM, although the organizer told me they may be willing to make some exceptions for Friday night. You can
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Old 08-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #54
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Even the "big boys" are raising their eyebrows at the entry fees on this one.

Try New London. It's the prior weekend, not far from Hartford, and only $250.

http://www.downtownnewlondonassociat...efcompetition/
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #55
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd love to do this one but I think I am going to look elsewhere. The organizer hasn't come back at all to review the site after dropping an incomplete report here. The fee schedule not only ridiculous but unnecessary. A registration fee? A security deposit? Fees for ez ups yet none for rented one with excessive cost? Possibly a declining prize pool? Gouging on ice? Who knows I might be wrong about all of the above but nothing seems clear.

Maybe I am overreacting but it smells fishy and that usually means its bad.

Last edited by Skip; 08-04-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #56
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez butts View Post
This was the cost to just sign up for the KCBS contest:

$503.95

$100 of this is a cleanup deposit that is supposed to be refunded after the event if you don't make a mess.

If you sign up for just KCBS you get this email:

Thank you for registering for the Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Championships. In reviewing your application I see that you have elected to not participate in Saturday’s People’s Choice Event. As a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture, your participation in Saturday’s People’s Choice event is very important to us and we would very much like to have your support. In addition to receiving a preferred site assignment and donated meat, you can win up to $1,500 out of our $4,000 People’s Choice prize pool! Please also understand that we are only accepting applications from a limited number of cook teams. If we reach capacity and a waitlisted team is willing to participate in Saturday’s People’s Choice event, they will take priority over teams that only elect to compete on Sunday.
Please consider joining us for this great event. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call.
so if I pay and they accept my money I can potentially be thrown out last minute for not doing pc? Are they serious? ??
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #57
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

although this sounds like a fantastic contest (sarcasm)
I will def pass...rather clean my garage out

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #58
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah Sled thats what they are saying. If you applied today they could pull your spot the day before because they got someone to do PC and you wouldn't. That's rough and potentially a blemish to a contest. If thats the case figure your number of spots and figure how many you want doing peoples choice and only release the remaining number of sites for non PC teams.

You know what the shame is in all of this. These questions were raised in February and nothing was done it seems. All the issues can be dealt with or removed completely but it seems no one is interested. I think quite possibly the organizers felt the prize pool would be enough and everyone would just grin and bear it. Seems that train of thought was wrong. Hopefully the organizers will pull a rabbit from their hat and make this contest as good as it potentially can be but its going to take work and a lot of saving face it seems. I wish them luck. We see fewer contests each year it seems in New England. It would be nice for this one to get off the ground. CT has always been hit or miss on contests.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #59
wags
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp03051 View Post
Wags check this one out 4 meats KCBS categories I cut my teeth at this event for 3 yrs before moving up to KCBS .. only $50 to enter great little contest , great venue, Matt and his group are the best.and grand prize they have given away Tragers, and Cookshacks in the past http://barnbrewbbq.com/1_2_Smoke-Off-2015.html
Thanks Mike P. Just saw this! lol. Definitely something to check out for next year. Thanks for the heads up.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #60
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

As I understand it, the contest is close to being sold out.

I think it's not the organizer that's causing the weird costs and issues, but the fact that they are using a venue controlled by the city, and with city control comes all kinds of government red tape.

Charlie Meyer has been responsive to me when I have asked questions. PM me if you want his email.

Sled, I got the same speech about being dropped if they find teams willing to do PC. I think the time slots, timing, and volume requirements make PC a bad option here. (Plus it's open People's Choice - which is nothing more than a crap shoot anyway. You just know some Hartford team throwing a party or a local restaurant that's been advertising the event for days is going to win it.)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Tags
Championship, Competition, competition bbq