MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #31
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Several yrs ago The Greenwich Town Party organizer would give each team a $1000.00 stipend for the food for the people's choice. You had to cook pork and chicken on site and serve it to the Public that bought the tickets in advance. It was limited to I believe 8-10 teams and the payout was $7000.00 for both combined meats. The people were happy and the teams were provided the funds to purchase the meat ahead of time. We cooked 54 butts and 70lbs of chicken thighs. Sled cookedi in it, Q-Haven cooked it, Greenwich que cooked as well as Mr Bobo's to name a few. I think it was a smart way of doing it but, the local hero is usually the winner for the most part. One way to improve on that is to set it up to be judged by 6-10 judges for the judged component and people's choice by the tickets. Just my opinion.
Easy fix, just lie and tell the crowd you are from hartford. The first year of greenwich thats what the winner did.......
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #32
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Sled, you and I had fun regardless
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #33
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Let's not forget the last year it was done the "Surprise Band" was Dave Matthews
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

People's Choice, no matter the size of the prize pool, is a crapshoot at best. Where you are located, where they sell the tickets, how photogenic the people are that are giving out the food all influence the results. Experienced teams know that the teams that win people's choice are almost never the teams that place high in the KCBS events.

Maybe Mike has a secret for people's choice, but we hardly ever do it. In Atlantic City last year we used pork and brisket for peoples choice. There were 66 teams, our pork was 2nd in ?KCBS, our brisket was 1st. We GCd the contest...and people's choice was won by a local team that invited 80 people to a party,all of whom voted for that team. I don't think they finished in the top 20 for KCBS.

Having an RV with a generator and a 10x20 tent would seem to be permitting us to death for this one.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #35
Bear'sBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

still working the fee issues, the whole area is shutdown today with this crazy snow. but I like the idea of blind voting for peoples choice. will put some thought into it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #36
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Easy fix, just lie and tell the crowd you are from hartford. The first year of greenwich thats what the winner did.......
I laugh every time I see this at the top of the page.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #37
Bear'sBBQ

Had a good meeting with my non-profit partner in this event, some of the stuff we could help with some it just is that way.

Changes to fees:

Registration will now be a flat $400
One 15 amp electrical service will be provided in that
Insurance requirement will be covered by Riverfront
While the health permit is still a requirement Riverfront will reimburse the permit fee. (This might be able to be a direct pay by Riverfront, still working it).
The issue with large tents is a city thing and I have a meeting set up with them to see if there is any type of work around
Ice, this is truly the cost. However we are looking around for donations so will see. Hell, worse case I will bring a ton from my restaurants lol.

As you can see everything is on the up and up.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #38
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear'sBBQ View Post
Had a good meeting with my non-profit partner in this event, some of the stuff we could help with some it just is that way.

Changes to fees:

While the health permit is still a requirement Riverfront will reimburse the permit fee. (This might be able to be a direct pay by Riverfront, still working it).
The issue with large tents is a city thing and I have a meeting set up with them to see if there is any type of work around
Ice, this is truly the cost. However we are looking around for donations so will see. Hell, worse case I will bring a ton from my restaurants lol.

I made two quick calls for you posing as a 503C rep involved in a fundraiser. Diamond Ice in Southington, CT is willing to work for wholesale cost with a 503C in kind document for retail. I spoke with Carl the owner and he says his monetary donation are all tied up but he is more than willing to wholesale it out at any volume. 860 276 3500.

Burnside Ice, aka Burnside Brewing, in East Hartford is another possibility. I left a call back number to see if they are willing.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes here just trying to help out.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #39
Bear'sBBQ

no man that is awesome and appreciated. Burnside is their current partner, we are trying to work something out with them.

Thanks again

Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #40
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

Changes to fees:

Be sure to tell the city that the tents are used by cook teams and NOT the general public. Our 10x20 tent has *two* people using it. I don't think we require lighted Exit signs and Emergency Power Failure lighting to find our way out of the tent.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #41
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Any news on this? The teams that will sign up for this are already making their schedules. Some may be done. Would hate to see this contest lose its draw. This isn't a comp for the two a year folks. With that entry fee you want the big boys and the big boys (and girls) make their schedule as soon as possible.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #42
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

We are making our schedule now. Any update on this event?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #43
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

With the change to a flat fee, and simplification of the permitted makes this sound more attractive. I don't want to put emergency lighting in my open sided tent though. If there are 2 people in a 20 foot tent with no walls, and you can't find the exit without an exit sign - it's nature's way of thinning the herd.

Only other issue: it's the same weekend as the Sam's Club Regional. Now only the top 6 from that will advance, but we won't know if we are in that group until AFTER the weekend of August 8th, and the cutoff for Bear's is July 15. Given that well over half the field in Sam's this year has the chops to advance, I'm sure there are a number of teams taking a wait and see approach here.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #44
$billBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I have only done a couple permits so this might be a dumb ? but it seems the meat is not set for PC, but when you fill out the permit online you have to list what you are cooking?

Quote:
Skip,

Also I believe the prize pool is posted now. I have personally committed 20K, so the pool is at the very least that. As we get more sponsors the pool will increase.
I could not find this on the site, has the prize pool been posted?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:56 AM   #45
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

I am watching this thread for updates and thinking of doing this comp. I will probably bow out of the Peoples Choice, having a trailer with graphics on the side stating "The Largest NY Jets Fan Club/Tailgate Party" will probably not go over so well in Patriots territory.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Championship, Competition, competition bbq