MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
i was going to sign up online today...the $150 fee for insurance...which is required for all the teams to have as well as all the other fees outlined below may be a deal breaker for me
$400 entry
$100 upgrade to 20 by 40 feet
$150 insurance
$50 for 1 15 amp circuit
$700 Total
plus Temporary Food Permit...
UGGGGH
Well lets break it down. As they have said they are new to this and they have until june to file for KCBS with prize pool.

$400 entry is $100 to $150 over a normal New England contest but the prize pool is double most prize pools from my experience. Something to consider. Although it will be too pricey for many teams who like to compete. At 30 teams a $250 entry only offers you $7500 for the prize pool and thats how most organizers look at it. To make up $12500 you have to increase income somewhere.

$100 upgrade for 20' is actually average from what I remember. Although many times it would be waved. There was also an option for a 20x30 for like $50 which was more reasonable for the box trailer guys.

$150 insurance is atypical. Normally the contest organizer gets a blanket policy. They are common and easy to get and usually cover all the required insurance stipulation. I think this is an issue of not knowing the normal operating procedure. Would be great for another organizer to give over the info about the insurance policies.

$50 for electricity is atypical as well. Normally water and electricity are included as essentials in the original contest fee. I think the organizers should go to their local rent all companies for donations. As a charity they can offer tax write offs under the 503C for "in-kind" donations. The company will get retail value for items they can wholesale. For instance, and this is not an advertisement, a company like HO Penn who rents generators can donate the use of one of their idle generators at full rate. A contest requires the generator to run all weekend so its at least 40 hours. Thats a weeks rental to a company. Write offs like that are how you sell it. The 503C give a voucher for a weeks rental for a machine that would have just sat. When you think about the breakfast go to a local caterer. restaurant, or deli and offer them the same deal. Their labor is paid for and their food costs are wholesale. They get free press and make retail for their time and product. This frees up your war chest for other things. Go to you local fuel oil company to fill the generator you get donated. They give it to you for dock price and get a retail write off as well as advertisement in the local area. Remember to tell them all they will be advertised. Offer to hang one of their own banners and make your own with their name on it. Normally the printer will work for the same amount giving you the printing for his name on it. Maybe you pay for just the surface.

So It does sound like an awesome opportunity for a great contest. If the fees drop off maybe the initial contest fee will work. Would need to see the prize breakdown by category as well as grand and reserve grand.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #17
Bear'sBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Skip,

thanks for the pointers, working on eliminating the electric. The insurance fee only applies if you are doing the peoples choice but in order to offset that cost if you participate the registration fee is dropped to $300.

Also I believe the prize pool is posted now. I have personally committed 20K, so the pool is at the very least that. As we get more sponsors the pool will increase.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #18
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDAL View Post
Seems that's what they are trying to do and, have the teams supply "unlimited samples" I agree 250, electric included. Taino Smokehouse just pulled it off this past Fall, in Middletown, Conn.
Yeah I read the people's choice requirements and have a couple of questions.

• Each participating team has to provide 400 samples? The provided meat won't be enough according to the website you have to be able to provide 400 4 oz samples - that's 100lbs.
  • People's choice is on Saturday and KCBS turn ins are on Sunday? So you expect the teams to cook a full load on Saturday then turn around and cook for Sunday?
  • 100 lbs = 12 butts. How many teams have that much capacity?
  • Is the $4,000 People's choice prize pool included in the 20k overall prize pool?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Yeah I read the people's choice requirements and have a couple of questions.

• Each participating team has to provide 400 samples? The provided meat won't be enough according to the website you have to be able to provide 400 4 oz samples - that's 100lbs.
  • People's choice is on Saturday and KCBS turn ins are on Sunday? So you expect the teams to cook a full load on Saturday then turn around and cook for Sunday?
  • 100 lbs = 12 butts. How many teams have that much capacity?
  • Is the $4,000 People's choice prize pool included in the 20k overall prize pool?
I emailed organizer with same question...here is response:

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your interest in the Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Competition. In addition to the $100 discount off the Registration Fee for People’s Choice participants, we are also contributing meat towards the People’s Choice competition. Our expectation is that competitors will supplement the balance of the food with whatever they think will impress the attendees to win $4,000 in prize money. The 1st night is a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture so we appreciate the support and participation of all of our competitors.

Thank you,
Charlie

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
Bear'sBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That is correct. The only requirement for peoples choice is that each team cooks what is provided. if a team wants to cook extra or other items it is up to them. we expect at least 2000 people coming through. But with $1500 for 1st I would think it worth it to

Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear'sBBQ View Post
Skip,

thanks for the pointers, working on eliminating the electric. The insurance fee only applies if you are doing the peoples choice but in order to offset that cost if you participate the registration fee is dropped to $300.

Also I believe the prize pool is posted now. I have personally committed 20K, so the pool is at the very least that. As we get more sponsors the pool will increase.
Please post the website link to the prize pool. Sorry your brethren brothers are lazy. Well I can only speak for me.

The transparency is nice and thank you for that. I think the competititors will all light up when they realize that the prize pool is set completely outside the entry fees which means the pool could grow incredibly. Thats definitely a draw.

The $100 dollar drop in the entry fee for peoples choice participants is nice and will definitely sway a bunch of people. Also the clarification that 400 samples isn't mandatory but a wish of the organizer to satisfy the visitors. Which is the reason these events succeed or fail. If the competitor cooks what they are provided they have met their peoples choice requirement. Although they probably aren't going to be in the running for the extra 4K in peoples choice money.

Quote:
I emailed organizer with same question...here is response:

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your interest in the Bear’s Smokehouse New England BBQ Competition. In addition to the $100 discount off the Registration Fee for People’s Choice participants, we are also contributing meat towards the People’s Choice competition. Our expectation is that competitors will supplement the balance of the food with whatever they think will impress the attendees to win $4,000 in prize money. The 1st night is a fundraiser for Riverfront Recapture so we appreciate the support and participation of all of our competitors.

Thank you,
Charlie
Sounds like the Peoples Choice is a real competition. Many of us are familiar with all the food being donated yet all remember how you can buy extra ribs for buck a bone and such. We have seen teams do it all the time. I think whats getting us is that its spelled out rather than implied. Peoples Choice is normally a token dollar amount and a plastic trophy. I think we need to see this as a competition not a fundraiser.

Now those of you who know me are probably wondering where I went and who this person is responding but as much as I call foul in other instances I really think this one is all about the newness of the contest and an organizer willing to learn but not knowing all he needs to know.

To Bear's BBQ I would suggest looking into a rider on your competition insurance for the peoples choice. Fees like this are atypical and will turn away seasoned competitor just for the principle. Also state that your 20K prize pool is guaranteed and that it may go higher as you stated above. You have disturbed the sense of normalcy in contests and people aren't seeing the forest through all the trees. Please identify your differences and help the people realize you aren't just a "normal" contest. It may limit the pool of teams you can get but you will draw the teams who are confident in their ability to win on Sunday.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #22
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

I would add that many teams shy away from a People's Choice depending upon the format...when the public comes around from booth to booth to sample, it not only is a time killer for teams to stand around all day but it also becomes popularity contest. The "local" team invites all their friends to come down and vote, where teams from elsewhere have no way to combat that...and even if that local team have NO friends, John Q Publiv votes for the home town favorite. Out of state teams have no chance and they invested a ton of time and money for a contest that is inherently unfair. Now, if the people's choice entries are turned in to a central location and are blind sampled with the contest volunteers helping giving out samples, that's a different ball of wax. Just my two cents

Extreme BBQ Trailer
Old No 7

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #23
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Please post the website link to the prize pool. Sorry your brethren brothers are lazy. Well I can only speak for me.

The transparency is nice and thank you for that. I think the competititors will all light up when they realize that the prize pool is set completely outside the entry fees which means the pool could grow incredibly. Thats definitely a draw. ................................................

Also state that your 20K prize pool is guaranteed and that it may go higher as you stated above. You have disturbed the sense of normalcy in contests and people aren't seeing the forest through all the trees. Please identify your differences and help the people realize you aren't just a "normal" contest. It may limit the pool of teams you can get but you will draw the teams who are confident in their ability to win on Sunday.
It's great that all of this is coming out but as a potential competitor i can only go by what's written on the competition's website. Frankly the website leaves me a little wary, it's not easy to navigate and other than the items i already asked about there are a number of other things on the site that give me pause, not just the conditions, but that they aren't in plain site. Here's a few: (direct from the comp website)

• Riverfront Recapture is the only entity that can legally provide or serve alcohol in the Riverfront Parks. It is illegal to bring in your own alcohol and consume it before, during, or after the event.
  • Generators require a permit from the City of Hartford ...
  • Generators may not be refueled during event times.
  • Potable water will be provided on site, but you should have containers and the ability to transport the containers from the source. $400 entry fee and its a haul water event??
  • 40 lb. bags of cube ice can be pre-ordered on your Team Registration for $12/bag. $12 a bag?? Smells of gouging
  • Any tent larger than 10’ X 10’ must be permitted through the City of Hartford
  • Vehicles will not be permitted in the event site until after the conclusion of the event on Sunday, September 6 - no packing up until after awards regardless of weather
So as a competitor that does people's choice with a generator and a 10x20 EZup I'm now looking at 3 city permits in addition to everything else.
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #24
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I would add that many teams shy away from a People's Choice depending upon the format...when the public comes around from booth to booth to sample, it not only is a time killer for teams to stand around all day but it also becomes popularity contest. The "local" team invites all their friends to come down and vote, where teams from elsewhere have no way to combat that...and even if that local team have NO friends, John Q Publiv votes for the home town favorite. Out of state teams have no chance and they invested a ton of time and money for a contest that is inherently unfair. Now, if the people's choice entries are turned in to a central location and are blind sampled with the contest volunteers helping giving out samples, that's a different ball of wax. Just my two cents
Thanks Tim I think you hit the nail on the head. People like yourself who will have the confidence to join a contest with such a steep entry fee are also seasoned cooks and have been around the block. You've done a number of Peoples Choice competitions and know what they are normally all about. You only participate because its usually a charitable event and the proceeds go to something good. As well the product is normally provided through donations and you know that its a way to get people in the gate and keep a competition running.

The idea of a central blind distribution is wonderful and would make the competition fair but would also remove the aspect of Peoples Choice that helps the event. The Public being able to walk around and interact. If they can go to a central tent than why would they walk around and look? If walking around and looking isn't fun than how do you keep the vendors in the gate. If you don't keep the vendor in the gate why do the people come back the next year to not walk around and interact?

If we don't engage the public they will visit your comp once. 99% are there to try some BBQ. I cringe when I hear some teams say at peoples choice "well this isn't our competition food". Even if its true we shouldn't tell them that. The smell of the smoke the allure of the competition will make anything you give them the best BBQ they've ever had if its decent.

Maybe trying to make Peoples Choice a legit comp is "jumping the shark". Maybe the prize pool should be reconsidered and more donated food should be the alternative. $1000 dollars into meat would go a long way especially if you sought out a wholesaler with a 503C document. This way the public gets what they want and the competitors can go back to donating their time rather than fighting a losing battle before the war even starts.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #25
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
It's great that all of this is coming out but as a potential competitor i can only go by what's written on the competition's website. Frankly the website leaves me a little wary, it's not easy to navigate and other than the items i already asked about there are a number of other things on the site that give me pause, not just the conditions, but that they aren't in plain site. Here's a few: (direct from the comp website)

• Riverfront Recapture is the only entity that can legally provide or serve alcohol in the Riverfront Parks. It is illegal to bring in your own alcohol and consume it before, during, or after the event.
  • Generators require a permit from the City of Hartford ...
  • Generators may not be refueled during event times.
  • Potable water will be provided on site, but you should have containers and the ability to transport the containers from the source. $400 entry fee and its a haul water event??
  • 40 lb. bags of cube ice can be pre-ordered on your Team Registration for $12/bag. $12 a bag?? Smells of gouging
  • Any tent larger than 10’ X 10’ must be permitted through the City of Hartford
  • Vehicles will not be permitted in the event site until after the conclusion of the event on Sunday, September 6 - no packing up until after awards regardless of weather
So as a competitor that does people's choice with a generator and a 10x20 EZup I'm now looking at 3 city permits in addition to everything else.
All perfectly legitimate points Mike. Thank you for pointing them out.

1. The alcohol rule is the same everywhere. Although many organizers know to give the "red cup" wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean? So lets see if that is clarified.

2 & 3. A permit for small generators seems ridiculous and would make me as an organizer look for a venue just outside the ridiculous limits of the city. Not filling said unit is another reason for change of venue or a dispensation from the mayor or agency requiring it. This is, as I have said before, atypical and something that seems to be growing pains for a new area and organizer. We all know how ridiculous red tape can be. Lets see if they can snip some with this feedback in hand.

4. Water distribution is another expected essential at a contest. The cost of hosing shouldn't break the bank and again could be donated equipment. Hopefully there is enough time to change this situation.

5. Ice is a requirement and shouldn't be the source of revenue at a contest. This is another item you can get donated under the 503C with a little work. Many of the ice companies will do it for the write off specifically not even worrying about the publicity. I got 700 lbs of ice donated for a contest. That was 20lbs a team which goes a long way. The remaining bags were half price I believe.

6. This is bureaucratic bulldung. Many teams now have larger than 10x10's and would be in violation here. They need to relax this for the event or a venue just outside the city limits should be found. The City is ruining this for the organizer.

7. Many of the contests have this in their packets but its loosely enforced. So question would be could they clarify this. Maybe the placement of the entrance and public areas can be arranged around the teams so that the teams can get vehicles in before awards to assure they get out in a timely fashion.

I think you spelling it out about the three permits and the lack of ability to fill the generator will give the organizer direction. It sounds like the Hartford inspectors are looking for overtime work. When it is shown to the city how burdensome all the stipulations are and how it may hurt the event they may relent. I think the organizer just followed the blueprint given him by the city and we can't blame him for that. Lets see if he is aggressive at getting things changed. He has already shown more than most contests by being here from the beginning with what seems like a willingness to work with the competitor. :)

Great points by the way. I would like you to vet a contest I run someday. :)

Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

To be fair, the City of Hartford government is a well-known nightmare to deal with. It's not surprising at all that they have all sorts of onerous rules and requirements.

- Former Hartford resident

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum x ?
Hunsaker Drum
KCBS CBJ

[B]ROAST BEAST BBQ on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ"]Facebook[/URL] and [URL="https://www.instagram.com/roastbeastbbq/?hl=en"]Instagram[/b][/URL][/FONT]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #27
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Thanks Tim I think you hit the nail on the head. People like yourself who will have the confidence to join a contest with such a steep entry fee are also seasoned cooks and have been around the block. You've done a number of Peoples Choice competitions and know what they are normally all about. You only participate because its usually a charitable event and the proceeds go to something good. As well the product is normally provided through donations and you know that its a way to get people in the gate and keep a competition running.

The idea of a central blind distribution is wonderful and would make the competition fair but would also remove the aspect of Peoples Choice that helps the event. The Public being able to walk around and interact. If they can go to a central tent than why would they walk around and look? If walking around and looking isn't fun than how do you keep the vendors in the gate. If you don't keep the vendor in the gate why do the people come back the next year to not walk around and interact?

If we don't engage the public they will visit your comp once. 99% are there to try some BBQ. I cringe when I hear some teams say at peoples choice "well this isn't our competition food". Even if its true we shouldn't tell them that. The smell of the smoke the allure of the competition will make anything you give them the best BBQ they've ever had if its decent.

Maybe trying to make Peoples Choice a legit comp is "jumping the shark". Maybe the prize pool should be reconsidered and more donated food should be the alternative. $1000 dollars into meat would go a long way especially if you sought out a wholesaler with a 503C document. This way the public gets what they want and the competitors can go back to donating their time rather than fighting a losing battle before the war even starts.
I have to disagree here - we won every people's choice we entered and about half were far afield where we were anything but homers.

Like it or not onsite people's choice is here to stay and will continue to get bigger. The public wants to interact with and taste the food of the teams like the ones they see on TV. A number of organizers have stated that without PC there wouldn't be a contest next year.
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have to disagree here - we won every people's choice we entered and about half were far afield where we were anything but homers.

Like it or not onsite people's choice is here to stay and will continue to get bigger. The public wants to interact with and taste the food of the teams like the ones they see on TV. A number of organizers have stated that without PC there wouldn't be a contest next year.
Well, mike, I will disagree. I have been to competitions that the winning people's choice tea, has not even shown up, but their friends did and voted for them anyway. Funny how how a team wins by has not cooked or even set up a tent.

Extreme BBQ Trailer
Old No 7

Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #29
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

Oh I have nothing against Peoples Choice. Like I said its the way to get people in the gate and get them to come back the next year. Teams are going to have to realize this is the new face of competing. Gone are the days of ignoring the public.

But I too have seen the woes of Peoples Choice. Of course saying all makes the argument invalid so of course there will be exceptions but the norm is a popularity contest. I hope that the Peoples Choice can come up with a good structure to offer such prize pools.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #30
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Several yrs ago The Greenwich Town Party organizer would give each team a $1000.00 stipend for the food for the people's choice. You had to cook pork and chicken on site and serve it to the Public that bought the tickets in advance. It was limited to I believe 8-10 teams and the payout was $7000.00 for both combined meats. The people were happy and the teams were provided the funds to purchase the meat ahead of time. We cooked 54 butts and 70lbs of chicken thighs. Sled cookedi in it, Q-Haven cooked it, Greenwich que cooked as well as Mr Bobo's to name a few. I think it was a smart way of doing it but, the local hero is usually the winner for the most part. One way to improve on that is to set it up to be judged by 6-10 judges for the judged component and people's choice by the tickets. Just my opinion.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Championship, Competition, competition bbq