MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Back to Back to the Park BBQ Bash - Marshalltown, IA

Pork Barrel BBQ is making the trek from the East Coast to Iowa the weekend of October 17-19 for Back to Back to the Park BBQ Bash in Marshalltown, Iowa. This will be our first time cooking a competition in Iowa and we're looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new friends. Who all is going to cook Back to Back to the Park?

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM
Heath Hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear that you are going to make the trip to Iowa. People in Iowa are really used to having visitors from DC. I expect that you will be more welcome than a lot of them!

This is going to be a good double contest organized by my good friends Ron and Dena Milhous. They know how to do it right.

This is going to bookend the season in Iowa - they had a back to back in Boone early this spring that was a good success. Expect this one to do well also.

Important to note that this is another contest that has the Fareway Foods Challenge.
Extra money to the category winners who purchase that meat from Fareway.
Check with Ron and Dena for details. Don't leave this money on the table.
This challenge was a great success at our contest this spring, really glad to see another opportunity for teams to get extra cash by buying meat at a great set of stores.
Fareway - it is where champions buy their meat!

You Minnesota teams going to Marshaltown down I 35 thru Owatonna can stock up on meat at our Owatonna store. PM me if you are interested with pre ordering.

However you get there this will be another great contest with lots of tough competition.
All that is missing is your registration. What are you waiting for???

Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

I don't understand how you can monitor that challenge. I would be willing to bet that most teams just buy the required meat and still use their regular meat they use for comps.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

The challenge depends on integrity, just like a regular contest.

Organizers and Reps can never tell for sure that the meat that was inspected wound up to be the meat that was actually cooked - challenge or no challenge.

In any circumstance it is alway possible that other meat-that received some kind of voodoo magic - before inspection in another cooler that the meat inspector never sees is what lands in the smoker.

Unless you have someone in every team site with constant observation there just has to be some trust to the basic honesty of the cook.

And that goes for any other techniques that a team does between inspection and turn in behind the closed doors of their rig.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Oversize Load BBQ will be there Heath, my brethren banner will be flying proudly. No guarantees so nothing planned at this moment. But usually several of us get together for a potluck, or like this past weekend order pizza, but there is a get together on Friday. Come on over and join us.

BTW Ron and Dena told us this past weekend that there was already paid 30 teams with another 10 saying they will be there max of 50.

Tags
Back to Back to the Park, competition bbq