MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
DR
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremendousQue View Post
Hey man so I think you are trying to do what I eventually want to do except I want a trailer at least twice size. My intent is to leave the fam-o-lee in the class C and have a full up prep/work area in the trailer. my thoughts were to keep the RV for living and trailer for competing. This way I am not tracking mud/dirt/meat crap in, out and all over the RV. this set up still requires no real set up or tear down (I know how brutal that southern sun can be). But let me ask you this, I see you are cooking with a stick burner (jambo). I am a bit of a nostalgist in that while I want a kamado style cooker (for home cooking), I want to continue to compete on a stick burner. Its the purest form of bbq in my book and i just cant see me with a mad scientist set up at a contest with all the BGE and BBQ gurus and feeling the same level of pride with calls. I know this can be a sensitive subject for some but i love stick burners! what will you cook on with a pull behind trailer or would you be pulling your jambo behind your trailer?
My jambo is an enclosed so i will just wheel it in and out of the cook trailer.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #17
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
100% agreed boss. the Mrs. and i are stationed in Tampa right now and with the dogs its a pain to travel for competitions or otherwise. i have been here for two years and have just 1 year left. we wanted to tailgate a Gators game, go to the keys, Orlando, naples, etc... but logisitics are a nightmare with dogs and midgets so everything keeps getting pushed tot he right until eventually we will be gone. since the midgets are only 6 and 4 i want them be comfortable where ever we go and their toys etc and of course bringing the dogs eliminates a day sitter or kennel so we are definitely leaning towards a class c to start out and then maybe upgrading from there.
There's lots of RV dealer options in the Central FL area and you should find a reasonably priced used Class C with lots of life left. Check for maintenance options first. Getting service on the Sprinter was a challenge and the Dodge Promaster is almost as bad. It'll cost a bit on fuel, but you can't beat the Ford or Chevy chassis for pulling power and serviceability. Beware of slides!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
Ron-I cant find them on FB. You have a link?
Sorry... Got busy . I guess they don't have a team page. Here is Kari's personal FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/kari.luke.5

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
No pix for 5'O Clock somewhere :( but for your 25' toy hauler, what was the unloaded weight and what do you think it weighs loaded? And what do you pull it with? i am almost positive i am going with a 3/4 diesel, can't see me needing much more than that knowing what i want to pull throughout my next 10-15 years.
Ours is a Wolf Pack 19WP, 19' box, 25' overall and around 5300 lbs dry weight, around 6200 loaded. I pull it with a 3/4 ton with no problem, but we pulled it with a 1/2 ton for 4 or so years.

Trust me, get a 1 ton truck. I wish we did simply because upgrad-itis sets in . We saw a beautiful 30' TH with a separate garage, gently used and at a great price but it was about 1,000 pounds more than the 3/4 ton could safely pull.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook out of a Class A Toyhauler RV. Nothing to tow, ever, which can be very handy at some contests. The cookers stay in the garage, wheel them out at contests and the garage becomes the prep/boxing area.

Newmar and Thor are the only Class A Toyhaulers on the market today, unless you go for the big $ truck conversions. The cost of a new Class A toyhauler about the same as a toy hauler trailer and tow vehicle.

Only downside is you can't drive off from a comp, but that rarely is needed in my experience, and you can always find someone with a truck.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, camper, competition bbq, how to choose, motor home, RVs, toy hauler, trailer