• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need help with smoked sausage - for Beginners

Pasmadj

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I love visiting Texas and eating BBQ there. I also enjoy attempting to re-create it at home.

Pulled Pork, Ribs, Brisket, etc., are all pretty straight forward. Buy meat, prepare meat, smoke meat, eat meat.

However, I have not had success with sausage.

In my stores, I only see basic pre-cooked smoked sausage. The uncooked sausages are italian, kielbasa, bratwurst, or breakfast sausage.

I don't make my own, and if I did, I would not know how to turn it into authentic smoked sausage.

Can anyone provide advice to us novices?

Is there a place to buy authentic texas-style sausage?

Once it is obtained, how should it be cooked / smoked?

As far as making it, I'm of no help...someone will be able to help you soon.

Buying it...Southside Market sells theirs online and hit is awesome every single time I get it.

I use Bigwheel's Gunuine Hot link Recipe as a guide, stuff into rings, hang them in my BDS or my Big Chief until the internal is 155° (as long as I use cure) and 165° if I don't use cure. Then I rinse it under cold water so the skin does not shrivel. The rings don't allow juices to escape because the tie is at the top.

5 pounds boston butt
2 pounds lean beef
1 bottle ice cold beer
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground thyme
6 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.

~thirdeye's ~ Options: Like all sausage recipes you can add or delete most flavor seasonings, I keep the cure amount constant but my smoked sausage only takes me about 3 hours so I'm still within the 4 hour safety window. Tenderquick or #1 cure will give sausage that nice pink color.

7ztUrcN.jpg

nUtniBR.jpg

guwCGPY.jpg

How prepare and serve purchased sausage?

Thanks everyone for the recipes and purchase links.

When you buy sausage, is it pre-cooked?

How do you prepare it, and serve it?

I buy uncooked/un-smoked sausage ropes a good bit as an additive.. When other stuff is cooking toss it on for either another meat or crackers the next day.. Very very tasty

Back