Hey! from Yankee territory

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fedaykin

[Thought I just made this thread, but I don't see it. If I screwed up because I'm new and don't know what I'm doing yet, I apologize.]

Greetings from NJ everyone! I'm really glad I found a group like this to join. I've grilled all me life, but I've spent the last few years getting into barbeque and I'm looking to take the next step in making some great food. I'm glad to leave the ranks of people who use the work barbeque to mean "grill." Yech. Yea, that's the lingo this state.

I'm primarily a P&P person: pigs and poultry. I love pulled pork, baby back ribs, chicken, and turkey after a nice smoke. I'm also a sauce afficionado; it ain't the same without a sauce on it. I don't often go to the condiment aisle for sauces anymore unless I actually want a sweet ketchupy sauce (usually Sweet Baby Ray's, usually for fried chicken). I absolutely love eastern NC style barbeque sauces- it ain't pig unless it has enough vinegar to wake up your jawbones! And just last summer I discovered mayonnaise-based sauces (!!)... YUM! And of course, a good dry rub is an honorary sauce as well.

As for equipment, a few years ago I bought a cheap knock-off Weber Smokey Mountain style smoker. It was ok for learning, but I'm getting tired of its limitations. It's small, the pieces don't fit together well, doesn't have any vents to let oxygen in, etc. I'm in the market for something new, preferably a barrel smoker (so I can put down 2-3 racks of ribs at a time). The trick is that I'm a full-time student and on a budget- just about every dollar in my bank account these days is on long-term loan from Uncle Sam.

For those of you who've been here (significantly!) longer than me, is it cool if I start a thread to get advice on finding a new piece of equipment at my price point? I'm hesitant as I imagine 2-3 newbies a week probably do so, which would mean that the answers are in the archives and just need to be found.

Welcome from the Hoosier state. There have been many discussions on entry level, low price grills. I'm sure you'll find a few.

Welcome to our crazy little club house!

I can't believe that no one else has stated the obvious - "Build a UDS!" For a student, or anyone who wants to save a buck, the UDS can't be beat :-D.

Welcome from Indiana!!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Glad you could join us.:thumb: Grab a drink- pull up a chair and start reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back