burn barrels are illegal in Washington so this did not happen:biggrin:
3918637354_ea3dec5e39_b.jpg

Keep a pack of hotdogs or marshmallows handy It's a cooker then, you just have to eat one if the MAN shows up. :icon_bugeyed

Thanks for the info there is still a very small amount left inside, I still have to cut the top off . Drilled the intakes already. then I'll do a burn and season.

Originally Posted by blackdog043
I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?

Charcoal/Wood Ratio

I am getting ready for my first cook on the new UDS. Any tips on the type of charcoal to use? How about the ratio of wood to charcoal? Best variety of wood for smoking?

Easy to find charcoal that has surprising results is Stubb's. They have have it at Lowe's. Any hardwood all-natural briquet will do well. I'm not a fan of the kingsford products, but the competition variety will do in a pinch.

For wood, I use chunk hickory at about a 2:1 ratio briquets:chunks by volume in a nice even mixture.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged if things are tough controlling temps at first. These drums get way more stable after a couple cooks on them.

ok, wish I'd started about 200 pages ago making one but it was a lot of great info. Did read it all.

2 questions please. What is the best way to get the liner off of the lid to keep from warping the lid? Can you hit it with the weed burner or does it need to be wheeled off?

I am dreading the liner as I am old and fat! After a couple of burns, is it sand blasted off pretty easily?

Finally, I want my firebox to resemble the one where it's like a box with a square handle coming up the barrel. Clear as mud? I took copious notes but I forgot to write down where that build was. Any ideas where it's located? I looked back over it and I can't find the design. Anyone remember, so I don't have to go through each page again? It was closer to the front I think rather than end.

thanks for help

one more question, where can you buy the threaded thermometers? Looks like 3/4 or inch nipple around off the dial

I'm collecting parts to build a UDS. Do these smokers require a diffuser? How do they perform with one and without one?

I'm collecting parts to build a UDS. Do these smokers require a diffuser? How do they perform with one and without one?

It is well worth the time to read this thread from the beginning. You will find several areas of discussion regarding diffusers.

No they do not require a diffuser. you ought to read this thread before you shut it down for the evening. :p

I've read it, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the diffuser thing. I'm thinking that if I ever want to try a hot and fast brisket cook that it may burn if there isn't a diffuser in there.

I've read it, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the diffuser thing. I'm thinking that if I ever want to try a hot and fast brisket cook that it may burn if there isn't a diffuser in there.

Having the meat drip directly on the coals is a major part of the UDS concept. Having the grate 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket is key to not burning the meat. Many people believe in turning briskets during the cook, but others leave it fat cap down without turning.

I guess I will just have to experiment. I don't usually turn brisket, but I can change my ways if I have to. I have read a lot about the drippings in the charcoal but never tried it. So, I'll just have to wait and see. If I ever get a drum, I will post some results of my experiments.

I am looking for the threaded thermos that norco used in his first build and on his tutorial. Any idea where you find the threaded ones?

thanks

bingo thanks sir. I am looking back through and trying yo find that coal basket with the square frame and squarehandles coming up . should have written it down

found the square box on page 173......

it is barbarian's firebox. Wonder how that worked out?

Make something temporary to start with. Cook with and without a diffuser and decide which you prefer. I used the oriiginal ash pan from the donor weber I used. Drilled 2 7/8" holes in the bottom so it was able to allow those nice juices to get to the coals.

My first cook went well with the diffuser, but my next will be without so I can decide which i prefer.

im about half way doen with my UDS build. i cut the top off my drum so the weber lid will fit. the ? is.. is there a type of rubber gasket that i could put on the drum.. not only to keep myself from cutting myself but to help keep the heat in.

im about half way doen with my UDS build. i cut the top off my drum so the weber lid will fit. the ? is.. is there a type of rubber gasket that i could put on the drum.. not only to keep myself from cutting myself but to help keep the heat in.

Did you cut off the entire rim or just inside it?

Back