• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Announcing a Pretty Good BBQ 2010

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Yep, that's right... A Pretty Good BBQ is back for it's third year, on May 15 and 16, 2010.

What's a Pretty Good BBQ?

It's a bbq event in Dayton, Ohio, at the North Campus of the Dayton Vineyard Church. We'll be cooking 750 pounds of boston butts and brisket overnight on Saturday to Sunday. Along the way, the cooks will do demos of rib trimming, MOINK ball making, ABT stuffing, coffee roasting, and anything else we can come up with for men from the church to learn from (as well as the other cooks).

I'm working on ensuring that the cooks have pit assistants on hand for the whole time the event is going, and we'll have dinner with staff on Saturday night, with plenty of time to relax and have fun.

Why have a Pretty Good BBQ?

To serve the people of the community. On Sunday after service, we'll feed people from the neighborhood (there were about 400 last year) with free barbecue. We'll do our best to build a couple competitions along the way into the mix, with brisket, pork being judged on Sunday, and ABTs and MOINK balls on Saturday evening.

The benefit to the cooks include:

1. A great weekend of being around other brethren
2. A chance to give others from our own gifts of cooking

Cooks, you can fill in with other benefits you had, for those that have been at previous events.

I still am amazed at the response I've gotten in the past 2 years with people coming to the event from 2-3 states away, and I can't wait to see everyone again, and hopefully a few new cooks.

P.S. I'm already working on tshirts so we have time, and we're gather donations for meat already, so we shouldn't have to cart in a truckload of pork pieces like last year!

dang! i'm booked for cooking the golf tournament that weekend this year

If it is an open invite, I may be available. I have to find out when my neice's Graduation is, I promised her I would bring the food.

I'll try to get that Sunday off - I know Drew (my son) would like to join in, too!

Curt, you know that I already put the event on our site calendar so I’m going to be there and I’m hoping to bring a couple of members of our team with me!

With all of the new members that have been added to this wondrous site since last May, I did a quick search and found our original threads to give them some history.

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ - Roll Call

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ - Pron

2009 - Pretty Good BBQ

As you can see, it’s kind of like a clean bash but with a purpose. With these tough economic times, while all areas of our country have been hit, some places have been slammed. This is a chance to show these residents that there are those that care.

You don’t have to be a member of the church. What you do have to be is someone that cares. Cares enough to show up on a Saturday morning, cook through the night with friends that you may have meet in person or maybe just meet online, pack up and leave on Sunday.

What do you get out of it? If you have to ask, you are in more of a need to join us than some of the residents around the church. This is really what it means to be a brother. I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be explaining and teaching what you are doing to either a resident or a member of the church or just sitting listing and telling stories through the night. I guess the best comment came last year when a resident asked “Why did you do it?”. The answer that came back was “Because a friend asked.”.

If you can, please consider putting this event on your calendar. It’s well worth it!

OK, I’ll get off my soap box now and pray that I’ll see a bunch of you there.

Last edited:
Ditto what Dive said... its an eye-opening, heart-warming Bash for the locals in Dayton.

Thanks again Curt!!!
I'll be there. Have cooker, will travel.

Last edited:
We have been a part of Vineyard Churches in the past
Good times serving those in need

I guess the best comment came last year when a resident asked “Why did you do it?”. The answer that came back was “Because a friend asked.”.

True definition of what The Brethren is about.

I'm organizing the men's ministry to own this more this year. We're doing 4 hour shifts, with people encouraged to stay overnight.

There will be a couple of surprises this year, too, I think.

As you can see, it’s kind of like a clean bash but with a purpose.

Wow. Perfectly phrased. I could not have said it better.

It is my intention to be there again as well! (I need to defend my ABT title) I will e-mail my brother in Lebanon and see if he can make it too. (He needs to defend his Fattie title.)

Let me tell you Brethren, whether you can drag a cooker to the event or not; whether you can stay for the whole cook or not; whether you have ever done anything like this or not; make time to swing by and meet the people of this Dayton community. You will see smiles like you wouldn't believe.

And the Brethren that show up are, quite simply, wonderful, decent, honorable people. You will never laugh as hard as you will here.

Looking forward to seeing all again this year.

Pork Butts and Briskets (for real) thats a blessing. Those that havent been to one check out Dives links to the past ones. A very good time had by all.

Curt I will be needing directions as to cant remember sh.. mod. Is it at same location?

Last year there was a acticule in the KCBS Bullsheet about us.

I will have Deer Chili if anyone wants...

Back