• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Pretty Good BBQ 2009

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
(mods, feel free to move this elsewhere if you deem it needs to be)

It's now official, at least mostly!

A Pretty Good BBQ 2009 is a go!

The dates are... May 16 and 17, 2009.
Location is the Dayton Vineyard Church, Dayton, Ohio.

What's happening:
A group of incredible barbecue cooks will gather on a grassy area to set up their smokers, with the goal of cooking not 500 but 1000 lbs of meat! This meat will then be put into sandwiches and given to the people in the area that show up. Yes, given to them.

It's in a less-successful part of town, and it's a pretty good thing to do.

Changes for this year:
I'm getting sponsors for the meat, so the cooks should have no outlay for the meat this year!

I'm getting crews to volunteer to do both set up and tear down of sites so the cooks can relax and direct.

I'm getting pit assistants for each team to help watch fires overnight

We're also going to cook dinner for the pastors and their spouses on Saturday night, for some time with them.

For those that helped last year, I hope I already told you how much I appreciate you. For those that want to cook this year, it's a great weekend. You'll be glad you were there!

Marking my calendar now!
I will do everything I can to make sure I get down there again. Hopefully Divemaster and I can team up for the trip, and he lets me bring more than 1 WSM.

Are we gonna do a mini-comp again Curt?

Looks like the cook with Wyatt is the weekend before so it looks good for me!

I plan on bringing down 'The Mistress' so we should have some extra cooking space for all that extra meat your planning.

Are you planning on having electricity and all that again?

Everything should be the same, except we'll all be in the same area, at the lower end of the parking lot.

No dancing girls, but some of the guys from the men's ministry have offered to do some clogging, I think.

In an effort to make more events this year, I may attend. Maybe bring the whippersnapper with me. It would be a good experience for the both of us!!

PS-We may need to team up with someone due to the length of the trip. More economical to drive Momma's van.

We'd love to have you come up...

Keep in mind, this isn't really a contest at all. There will be a ceremonial turn in and judging (by certified judges, at least 3 of them!!!), and an award, but the main focus is service.

We gave out 1250 sandwiches, pulled pork and brisket, in less than 45 minutes last May.

I was and still am humbled at the turn out from you all on here, and seeing the results made it that much better. I think this year will see even more people blessed.

I understand the root cause for the event, Curt. That's why I feel we should be there. We didn't get to hand out Christmas meals this year at the chrch, due to my Mexico trip. Things like this are very humbling, and rewarding at the same time. Plus, I get to hear Wyatt bust Bubba's chops!!

Shane if you can make it you are more than welcome to team up with me and 'The Mistress'!

I would love to have ya all there!

OK, sounds great! And if the Boy gets lippy, we can feed him to the homeless!!

You're all welcome to bring extra cooks and cookers, too!

I don't know if Pat will have his big rig by then... But we'll have a couple of big smokers, I'm hoping, to allow room enough to cook 1000 lbs of meat.

Last June, with Bob Besaw's help, we built 10 UDS smokers. I'm hoping most of those will end up cooking at the event. I'm also thinking of doing another building workshop in March, to get people ready to cook. There will be enough meat to need a bunch of cooks, and I likely won't have my smoker there. I'm only cooking for you guys, not for the big event, so I'll just have my BGE there.

Well Bubba and I were just looking at this, and we may be able to bring the Lang 84 if needed. We have it penciled on our calendar. I hope Shane and Wyatt can make it out that would be cool to meet both of you guys!!

Rick is always more than welcome, and I hope he knows that. However, I think he already told me he has another commitment that weekend.

Since I'm not cooking the Sunday meats, I'll just have to take care of whatever I can do. Sorry if that's a disappointment, but it's what ya get. :)

I'd like to try to make it. Can't make any commitments yet though.

It's still a long way off, but I wanted to give people the chance to schedule for it.

Curt ive penciled in the dates, wifey approves.

Dive, you bringing Billy?

I think I may try to make this get together as well. Need to check the schedule with the better half.

Are others bringing wives or is this just guys?

Last year it was just guys... But there's no reason we can't allow wives. They can even sleep inside the church if they want.

Back