MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Drum Seasoning

Is it really that big of a deal if I didn't remember to spray pam on the inside of my drum prior to the first test run with it?
swallytrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

No but you need to spray it to keep it from rusting. I'd go ahead and spray it down with oil whether or not you plan to burn it again before your first cook...
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

I will seems to be a pretty heavy smoke residue all over in it now. My trial smoke went pretty good just put small pile of coal in lit it with propane torch opened vents got it to 225 quickly it was smoking like a freight train then I started shutting vents back up, it settled right at 250 on the nose and sat there for 4 hours before dropping. I'm pretty sure its due to my huge basket and tiny pile of charcoal the big center of it was burning good but nothing scattered out around it was. Should I wipe it out then spray it do you think.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I don't know if you need to wipe it out or not... I'd just get some oil in it as soon as possible.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I didn't "season" mine, I just smoked a couple of fatties, some pulled pork and such. no problem and no rust on the inside. there is light rust on the outside because of no paint

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

You'll be fine I think. Just COOK in it. That's the best way to season it anyway...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Agreed, seasoning doesn't do much. Just cook in it a couple of times. It'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

cool thanks guys just after the test run it has a good blackish coating going in it. Think im gonna do a couple swine hineys on it wednesday. I couldnt resist that, thats what we called them for fun back when I was a butcher