MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
chilidic
Found some matches.

Default Mac & Cheese ?

Looking for a good mac & cheese recipe, doing some ribs tomorrow and would like some good mac & cheese for a side.
chilidic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out this one: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=mac+cheese as I'm going to try it myself.

Alan would probably give you the recipe if you PM'd him.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I remember reading a blog where someone did something similar to this, so I tried it last weekend and it worked out great.

I started by grating a 16 oz block of chedder and putting it in a aluminum pan with a stick of butter. I made two different ones. In one of them I added a pretty large wedge of gouda and in the other I added 8 oz block of pepper jack and some diced peppers(jalapeno, cayenne) from a friend's garden. I put the pans in the smoker and left there for about an hour until the cheese was melted.

Next I boiled some macaroni noodles. When they were done, I added a tub of sour cream to the noodles and stirred together.

Once the cheese was melted, I mixed the noodles and sour cream with the melted cheese, topped with more grated cheese and put back in the smoker until the cheese on top was melted.

Both of them turned out great, but I really liked the one with the peppers and pepper jack cheese. The smoke taste was present throughtout and I really enjoyed having the sides in the smoker with the meat so I didn't have to keep running in and out of the house. Next time, I will probably add some bacon as well.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
chilidic
Found some matches.

Wrench, that sounds awesome, I might try that tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
pomah25
Full Fledged Farker

That recipe does sound good... couple of weeks back i was doing a shishkabob competition and for a side decided to do Mac and Cheese. Was not going to spend a lot of time on it, so i went to farm fresh (local grocery store) and bought frozen mac and cheese (stouffers). All i did was open it and placed it on my UDS for about 3 hours - did not really care about temp so it was bouncing between 250-300.

Came out amazing - everyone loved it... literally it disappeared.

So whether you want to cheat and buy pre-made frozen :) or follow the recipe i strongly recommend throwing it on the smoker... it was amazing!
pomah25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Just found the blog I was talking about, http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13998 . He includes some eggs, cream, cheese soup, and onions. Funny how you see something at work, then two weeks later your brain has simplified it so much. In my opinion and everyone else there(full disclosure: lots of beer was drank on saturday), it was great with just the cheese, peppers, and sour cream.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal

Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

That sounds amazing! Does any of the cheese get crispy around the edges? That's our favorite part of mac and cheese!

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
chilidic
Found some matches.

Wrench, that looks so good I may cook it tonight, can't wait till tomorrow if I can stop drooling long enough that is !!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
10elawncare
Knows what a fatty is.

To get the cheese crispy, put your oven on 'broil' most ovens broil from the top so the flame will get that cheese melted and crispy fast!!
10elawncare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
[email protected]
Got Wood.

This is one of the best Mac & Cheese recipes you will find.

"This is the baked macaroni and cheese recipe from our favorite BBQ joint in Georgia, Sam and Dave's in Marietta. It was originally printed in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It's perfect for a crowd or just anytime. Prep time includes boiling the pasta."

Ingredients
    • 1 (16 ounce) boxes rigatoni pasta
    • 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
    • 8 ounces monterey jack cheese , shredded
    • 4 ounces parmesan cheese , grated
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • salt and pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare rigatoni noodles according to package directions, but add a good bit of salt to the water. Once cooked, drain but do not rinse the pasta.
  2. Transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add half the cheddar, monterey jack and parmesan cheeses, as well as the heavy cream. Stir well to combine, season with pepper to taste.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a 9"x13" casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses on top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
auxierr@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
[email protected]
Got Wood.

Sorry for all the extra stuff in the recipe.
auxierr@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Rylo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench_H View Post
Just found the blog I was talking about, http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13998 . He includes some eggs, cream, cheese soup, and onions. Funny how you see something at work, then two weeks later your brain has simplified it so much. In my opinion and everyone else there(full disclosure: lots of beer was drank on saturday), it was great with just the cheese, peppers, and sour cream.
I made this exactly the way he did, and it was killer! My family was fighting over it.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylo View Post
I made this exactly the way he did, and it was killer! My family was fighting over it.
I would imagine so, heavy cream is a lot like bacon, it makes everything a little better

Tags
mac and cheese