MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Post BSKD Project

Well, I got started today on my Brink SKD, that's been collecting dust for probably 4 years now. Found the Bandera Sticky on here, and a few other posts. I know it's not the best of cookers, but since I had it, figured I would at least start on the mods that were posted.

Got it cleaned up a little, added supports for the fire grate to raise it up. Once fire brick are in (had to order from ACE) there will be 3" of air space. Took grate and built a coal box out of EM, roughly 15" x 15" x 5" tall. Once done, slid it back in the fire box to see how she looked...

Fire brick should be here this week, and need to cut my baffle for the smoke box. Got some 1/4" Rutland Rope that I hope use to seal up my smoke box door. I know some have taken High Temp Silicone along w/ wax or parchment paper, or even Blue Painters tape, to create a seal. Just not sure how that was done, or pics to show how, so will try the other first....

Here are a few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSKD.JPG (26.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Elevated Grate.JPG (28.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Coal Basket.JPG (42.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Basket in Firebox.JPG (35.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg From Fire Door.JPG (33.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Into smoke box.JPG (40.5 KB, 109 views)
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Raising the fire grate, adding thermal mass with the fire bricks and directing the heat from the fire box are the 3 mods that made the greatest improvements for me.

A baffle is nice. I've had severa,l but burned them all up. A hot clean burning fire from that fire box is pretty intense if you want to burn a clean fire. I have resorted to foiling the water bowl hangers on the fire box side of the smoke chamber. It lasts for several cook sessions.

Wrapping the fire bricks with aluminum foil helps with clean up. When it's time to clean, trash the old and in with the new. That bit of advice came from a good friend.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Raising the fire grate, adding thermal mass with the fire bricks and directing the heat from the fire box are the 3 mods that made the greatest improvements for me.

A baffle is nice. I've had severa,l but burned them all up. A hot clean burning fire from that fire box is pretty intense if you want to burn a clean fire. I have resorted to foiling the water bowl hangers on the fire box side of the smoke chamber. It lasts for several cook sessions.

Wrapping the fire bricks with aluminum foil helps with clean up. When it's time to clean, trash the old and in with the new. That bit of advice came from a good friend.
Thanks Kevin!
Any chance you could post a pic or two of your smoke box, and your foiling? If not, no biggie, but always do better w/ pics to have it in my head.
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
righteousdog

that is a fine looking piece of expanded metal fabrication

Thanks from:--->