MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #91
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

I should have a working iPhone version very soon. As soon as I do, i can post some links for people to download the test version. After that Android will be available shortly after. If everything goes well with the phone version, I will also release the iPad and Android tablet versions.

Thanks for all of the feedback!!
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #92
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post
I should have a working iPhone version very soon. As soon as I do, i can post some links for people to download the test version. After that Android will be available shortly after. If everything goes well with the phone version, I will also release the iPad and Android tablet versions.

I cannot wait to try this!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #93
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post

When you are ready for Android testers I can fire it up on an sgs4g (gingerbread) 2 tablets (media pad aka springboard and tf201) and my sgs3.. Lots of different devices and both major OS versions. (Oh and nook color under gb or is.) Probably not all at once though since the cyberq would die..

Sent from my T-mobile SGS III using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #94
pohlmeyr
Found some matches.

Very nice looking app. Cant wait to test it out.

Thanks
pohlmeyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #95
flashflood
Found some matches.

The iPhone and PC apps posted above look great! I'm an old Unix hacker, so I couldn't resist the temptation to attack this with a shell script. Using wget to read the raw HTML, bash to parse it, and gnuplot to render it, I produced this:

flashflood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #96
flashflood
Found some matches.

Incidentally, I tried to post the bash script that produced the chart above, but the forum server rejects it. If there's interest, I'll see if one of the forum mods can post it on my behalf.

[Edit: this post will not make any sense until the previous post clears moderation. I guess images trigger the filter.]

Last edited by flashflood; 07-07-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: clarification
flashflood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #97
Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflood View Post
Incidentally, I tried to post the bash script that produced the chart above, but the forum server rejects it. If there's interest, I'll see if one of the forum mods can post it on my behalf.

[Edit: this post will not make any sense until the previous post clears moderation. I guess images trigger the filter.]
You could stick it on pastebin, just be sure to set it to not expire.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #98
humblegriller
Got Wood.

Gosh darn you! This app may push me over the edge to buying the CyberQ. I'm surprised BBQ Guru isn't jumpin up and down about it. It's exactly this kind of easy interface that makes the difference for most non-tech types.
humblegriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #99
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegriller View Post
.... It's exactly this kind of easy interface that makes the difference for most non-tech types.
So why is it that Splashtop can automaticaly link between iPad and PC when on different networks and BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi cannot? The difference is effort into making a good product. I expect that the investment by BBQ Guru involves about two weeks of competent programming at say $100 and hour; namely 80x100, or $8K tops. At $450 per cyberQ including fan or Power Raptor as I have, that translates into about 18 units; considering their profit point perhaps 36 units sold.

Appears that BBQ Guru management has indeed changed since the death of its founder.
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #100
Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant968 View Post
So why is it that Splashtop can automaticaly link between iPad and PC when on different networks and BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi cannot? The difference is effort into making a good product. I expect that the investment by BBQ Guru involves about two weeks of competent programming at say $100 and hour; namely 80x100, or $8K tops. At $450 per cyberQ including fan or Power Raptor as I have, that translates into about 18 units; considering their profit point perhaps 36 units sold.

Appears that BBQ Guru management has indeed changed since the death of its founder.
Splash top uses tons of server-side infrastructure to make that possible. They even proxy for connections (like mobile) that don't allow incoming. How would you connect to a guru that has no outbound net connection? Totally different from the guru, although I agree they should have built all the graphing etc into the device directly..

Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #101
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
Splash top uses tons of server-side infrastructure to make that possible. They even proxy for connections (like mobile) that don't allow incoming. How would you connect to a guru that has no outbound net connection? Totally different from the guru, although I agree they should have built all the graphing etc into the device directly..

In my world, if you like a function that another has programmed, you buy that function along with the obligation that they integrate it into the whole. BBQ Guru could have paid $8K for the function, or employed the programmers. Instead, BBQ Guru executives decided to do neither, with the result as you see.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #102
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Shipped my old Guru today....so it looks like I am moving forward with the WIFI version. The app looks great can't wait to try it!
WhiskeyPigBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
moontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegriller View Post
Gosh darn you! This app may push me over the edge to buying the CyberQ. I'm surprised BBQ Guru isn't jumpin up and down about it. It's exactly this kind of easy interface that makes the difference for most non-tech types.
I think there is going to be a minor explosion of mobile apps and websites amongst the bbq community that tie into this thing. I also have talked to bob a couple times and they are definitely listening to what people are asking for. Their enhancements for the first firmware update seem spot on. I know we have a couple apps in progress and I also know of another gentleman building something very sweet that ties into the guru wifi so much more to come in the near future I think. Thank the guru guys for making it so easy to integrate with.
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #104
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post
I think there is going to be a minor explosion of mobile apps and websites amongst the bbq community that tie into this thing....
I agree. In time it will be a good product. For now, it is a development tool.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #105
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these. Thumbs up or thumbs down. Was it rushed to the market?
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote