MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Default Anbody Here Ever Smoke Northern Pike ??

My son just called, his wife's grandfather just got home with several Northern Pike and was wondering if we could smoke them.

I have smoked a lot of Salmon but never a pike.

Any of you sports folks have any thoughts?

Several recipes on Google, but wanted to ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

I grew up in Minnesota and one of our Norwegian neighbors would smoke smoke Pike and Muskee every summer - it tasted so amazing alone on on crackers with fresh dill. It has been over 20 years but I remember that they used alder wood at low temperature with a higher temperature finish and they did this between lunch and dinner. They also marinaded it overnight before smoking with a brine of Brown sugar, salt, garlic and black pepper. I have no idea of proportions. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Don't forget to watch out for those Y bones...

Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I hear they're hard to keep lit........sorry....couldn't resist.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Im from the land of smoked northern. Never personally done it but I know you have to brine it for some period of time before smoking. Ive always seen it in 2-3" wide strips. I suppose you could hang the whole filets when smoking. It is good when done right. Northerns are a poor fish to eat but the seem to do well smoked (must have a higher fat content in the meat, which probably also leads to the crap flavor compared to crappies-sunfish-walleye)
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
I hear they're hard to keep lit........sorry....couldn't resist.
gave off a bitter smoke..... muskies, on the other hand, are great for chicken and ribs
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Im from the land of smoked northern. Never personally done it but I know you have to brine it for some period of time before smoking. Ive always seen it in 2-3" wide strips. I suppose you could hang the whole filets when smoking. It is good when done right. Northerns are a poor fish to eat but the seem to do well smoked (must have a higher fat content in the meat, which probably also leads to the crap flavor compared to crappies-sunfish-walleye)

WHOA cross the river and I'll make you northern that you would swear is walleye or perch.. My fussy wife who won't eat fish eats my northern and my 4 year old can't get enough!!!

Properly prepared it's some of the best fish out there next to Lawyer..

As far as smoking it.. I wouldn't i would look for something fattier like white fish or chubs.

O and if anyone needs a idea what or how to deal with Y-bones.. Cut that slab off and pickle it. The bones dissolve in the brine!
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and [B]One very understanding wife[/B]...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thanks for all your thought's and comments!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't speak about smoking it but I've eaten a lot of it. About the Y-bones, a lot of people simply grind pike and make pattys out of it.
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoked northern quite a bit here. 1 cup canning salt. 1/2 cup brown sugar. 9 cups water. Brine overnight. Smoke with apple wood in mid 200's until fish is done and begins to flake
Chill overnight. Serve on crackers with plenty of good beer with the good folks who were kind enough to provide it
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote