BIG Beef Ribs...

on the hook

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did a search here and really no answer, so...Where is a "place" to get these type ribs, if your not in cattle country? I'm in north central Pa and would love to try these, but....This is obviously a HUGE rib from Killens in Houston that I copied from Amazing Ribs...

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 338
  • br1.jpg
    br1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 339
Those look like whole plates of short ribs. Stores like to cut them up into 2 " squares and sell them at a premium. Ask your store's "meat unpacker" about whole short ribs in cryopack. I can get them down here for $2.99/lb.

OMGoodness, those ribs in the pic look fabulously scrumptious. And I'm in Houston and have never been to Killens for lunch.

I'm going to have to change that next week. I'll let you know how they taste . . . .:wink:

Those look like the short ribs I cooked last weekend. I just asked my grocery store meat counter if I could have a few bones worth, not sliced individually, and they where able to do it.
I spent a little more then I wanted to, but since I had never cooked them before I just wanted to try it. They came out pretty good. I got impatient and took them off too early, so they where a little chewy still, but they had a great flavor.

Oh My Goodness! Brisky on a stick...like LMAJ likes to call'em. Yummmmmm!

Bought these at Sams for Labor day, they have them in the back in cryopacs of 4 (16 ribs total). They opened the pack and sold me two that were about 13 pounds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 186
My daughter liked them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 186
Your best bet is to go to a local butcher and ask for full slab beef ribs. We do them a couple of times per year, but my wife (who's from Texas) is always buggin' me to do them more often.

How do you guys like to prep and cook these ? Cook them in 4 rib racks or cut them up?

Last edited:
By me the only place I've seen ribs even close to this big is at RD.... And there you gotta buy soooo much! Hard for a home cook to deal with.

If the grocery store you go to sells short ribs that are trimmed up like the ones in the picture below, they have the big dino bones in the back. Just ask the meat guy/gal if they have any of the beef short ribs that aren't cut up in the back. They will normally have them in cryovac packs in the back. They will bring them out, and you can either buy the whole cryovac (which I do) or you can ask for however many bones you want from them and they will portion it out and put it in a chub and slap the price tag on it.

The beef short ribs are between the fatties.
1KwGRP0.jpg

The big thing with shopping at grocery chains is that they have a standard procedure on how they do things. Don't be afraid to ask them if they have a certain cut of meat, or have the meat before it is trimmed up. They are always more than willing to help you out. If you go to an actual butcher, be demanding (but not a pain in the arse) Ask for the specific cuts of meat you are looking for. Look at the meats with the best marbling etc. Ask questions of where the meat was raised and what they were fed. True butchers will be able to answer your questions and will appreciate the fact that you are looking for quality meats.

Whenever I go to the two butchers in my area they know that I am looking for a quality piece of meat and when I ask them for what they have that is good, they will recommend something. It sometimes it is the most expensive cut of meat, but normally it is a well priced cut that has fantastic color and marbling.

The meat department at the 4 grocery stores by my house, all know me as well since I'm typically asking for certain cuts. 3 of them will cut the spare ribs in half or 1/4 racks and sell them by the chubs, they will cut down the pork butts to smaller pieces etc. I am the guy that is always bugging them for the big hunk of meat or uncut ribs.

Back