• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any good places to purchase wood in illinois.

one2bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any brothers in the central Illinois region have a good place to purchase wood. I keep getting old wood and wood with termites delivered and then they have to come get, its too much hassle. I called Hawgeyes, but the shipping is too pricey. Any help would be appreciated.

My first wife was from Jerseyville. It seems like you could walk out into the woods with a chainsaw and collect all you wanted. What kind of wood are you looking for?

mick

My first wife was from Jerseyville. It seems like you could walk out into the woods with a chainsaw and collect all you wanted. What kind of wood are you looking for?

mick

I like to use apple and hickory. I've had trouble finding fruit wood around here that is seasoned and clean.

I just get wood from the internet. Amazon has a decent price on Hickory and apple. Its the kind of stuff you could buy at any bbq store. Also, keep an eye out on Craigslist for people in your area giving it away. I got most of my wood from Ebay. Decent price with decent shipping.
good luck!
tim

This is where i get mine. They have hickory, apple, oak and cherry. Seasoned and ready to go. Reasonable prices. Last year I got a face cord of hickory delivered for $120.00. I'm gonna get another this spring. If your up for a road trip and have a truck might be worth it.
Firewood Unlimited‎ 1489 W Bartlett Rd, Elgin, IL‎ - (847) 888-9999

I just get wood from the internet. Amazon has a decent price on Hickory and apple. Its the kind of stuff you could buy at any bbq store. Also, keep an eye out on Craigslist for people in your area giving it away. I got most of my wood from Ebay. Decent price with decent shipping.
good luck!
tim

How much is shipping on a face cord?:icon_cool

Get in good with local tree trimmers. Ask them to keep an eye out for you. Hint: They like BBQ too!

Do you guy have any sawmills around. Most time they will give you slabs.

I schmoozed up to guy that owns a tree trimming service. Dropped a load of BBQ off at his office one day and fed him and his crews and lo and behold he calls me when he's got a load of apple, cherry, hickory or oak.
One guy there liked my BBQ so much he drops the wood off at my house on his way home. I've never bought a stick of smokin' wood in my life.

If you can drive down to an Eckerts Orchard near St. Louis they usually push out trees every year and will let you have at the pile with a chainsaw and take what you like. Usually in November though, but there's a chance they haven't burnt the piles yet. Typcially all apple, but sometimes peach.

Come spring when we thaw out and I get my splitter up and running, if you ever get north, I have a pretty good supply of cherry I can share with you. I am about 10 minutes off of 55 about 12 miles south of Joliet.

The Masons' Lodge in Mahomet, Illinois sells firewood as a fundraiser...depends when catch them as to what they have. I am looking for a reliable source in Central Illinois as well. I'll ask Bill C. in Peoria when I pick up my cooker and see if he has any leads. :wink:

Cliff J.

Back