MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Advice for ribs on PBC

When I've cooked ribs on my PBC (as shown in mfr video) the ribs hang too close to the fire and the 3-4 bones closest are charred/dried to an unedible.

Have others found a solution?

Cut the rack in half?
Position the hook in the middle of the rack?
Put a hook in each end of the rack so the rack hangs like a "u?" (This would put a serious limit on the amount of racks you can cook).
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not know about hanging ribs for cooking in the PBC, but I use rib racks on both shelves so the ribs will lay sideways. The racks toward the end of the barrel are trimmed to fit and also make great snacking..

If you have room skip every other row to allow good air circulation between the racks. I use two rib racks on each shelf, allowing 6 racks per shelf.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 02-16-2013 at 07:07 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I do not know about hanging ribs for cooking in the PBC, but I use rib racks on both shelves so the ribs will lay sideways. The racks toward the end of the barrel are trimmed to fit and also make great snacking..

If you have room skip every other row to allow good air circulation between the racks. I use two rib racks on each shelf, allowing 6 racks per shelf.
Thanks for the good word madman, are you using the rack on the PBC or another pit?

I also have a wsm 22 and the ribs come out unbelievable, but I'd like to get he same results from the PBC (for smaller cooks or when I want to take the PBC on the road )

Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

What about cutting the racks in half before you hang them?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Hmmm, I have done ribs several times on my PBC, with bottom of ribs 2 inches from the charcoal. I have never had burnt ends like that. Confusing... wonder why your getting different results. All I can say is that I am following Noah's advice exactly as shown in his videos (Kingsford blue, lighter fluid, 20 minutes, hang ribs). They come out soooo good, and have always been cooked evenly from top to bottom.

Have you discussed your issue with Noah? Would be interesting to hear his response/advice!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

How long did you cook them for? Also, maybe consider cutting them in half to avoid the issue.

On a different note, make sure your fire isn't running too hot from the get go. Using too much lighter fluid and lighting too many briquettes can make your temps be too high. Try lighting on 10-15 pieces in a chimney and then place them in the center of the basket. Place the basket back into the barrel and with lid on, allow 15 to 20 minutes for the charcoal to settle in and roll sweet blue.

Works perfect for me and I've never had an issue of overcooking anything on it. Hope that helps ya!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I don't own a PBC but I've hung ribs in my UDS and they've come as close as a couple of inches from the coals, but I've also done them at under 250F (temp taken about 2/3 way up the drum). If your ends are coming out inedible perhaps you're running your temps too high?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

I have hung ribs in my pbc and never had that problem.. maybe lighting too much or putting the ribs on too soon. I usually hook mine 4-5 ribs in but depends on the length of the whole pack.
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I don't own a PBC but I've hung ribs in my UDS and they've come as close as a couple of inches from the coals, but I've also done them at under 250F (temp taken about 2/3 way up the drum). If your ends are coming out inedible perhaps you're running your temps too high?
It's possible, I dialed down the temp in the PBC caz it was running hotter than I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
How long did you cook them for? Also, maybe consider cutting them in half to avoid the issue.

On a different note, make sure your fire isn't running too hot from the get go. Using too much lighter fluid and lighting too many briquettes can make your temps be too high. Try lighting on 10-15 pieces in a chimney and then place them in the center of the basket. Place the basket back into the barrel and with lid on, allow 15 to 20 minutes for the charcoal to settle in and roll sweet blue.

Works perfect for me and I've never had an issue of overcooking anything on it. Hope that helps ya!
Thanks bassman, it was a tad over 3 hours. I lit 15 bricks in my chimney dumped em in, waited 20 and put the lid on. All the other bones were great but the bottom 4. Maybe I got a pack of lousy ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Hmmm, I have done ribs several times on my PBC, with bottom of ribs 2 inches from the charcoal. I have never had burnt ends like that. Confusing... wonder why your getting different results. All I can say is that I am following Noah's advice exactly as shown in his videos (Kingsford blue, lighter fluid, 20 minutes, hang ribs). They come out soooo good, and have always been cooked evenly from top to bottom.
Yeah, I'm not giving up, I love the cooker, we 'll get it sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Have you discussed your issue with Noah? Would be interesting to hear his response/advice!
Nah, wanted to ask the brethren who are using for advice first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
What about cutting the racks in half before you hang them?
I'm thinking of trying this next, I agree with you; seems like the next logical step.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Cutting the rack in half definitely solved the problem

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Those really turned out well!

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I used my PBC in a comp this weekend. I cooked 3 racks of St. Louis on it. I filled the charcoal ring up with charcoal and then took out 15 pieces and lit them in my charcoal chimney. Added the lit charcoal and a chunk of apple wood. I put the lid on it and had my Maverick probe hanging about 3" below the rebar. I didn't put the ribs on the pit for about 45 minutes. When I did the temp was 310. Temp dropped to about 275 when I first put the meat on then rose back to about 300. I cooked them for 2 1/2 hrs then pulled them and wrapped in foil for another 1 /1/2 hrs. Tented the foil and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Then glazed and back on the pit for 15-20 minutes. All 3 racks were perfect. Took 1st place in ribs out of 21 teams. I could have bought 5 more from Noah with the winnings. I absolutely love my PBC. I named it the little black assassin.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
alfredbot9000
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
I used my PBC in a comp this weekend. I cooked 3 racks of St. Louis on it. I filled the charcoal ring up with charcoal and then took out 15 pieces and lit them in my charcoal chimney. Added the lit charcoal and a chunk of apple wood. I put the lid on it and had my Maverick probe hanging about 3" below the rebar. I didn't put the ribs on the pit for about 45 minutes. When I did the temp was 310. Temp dropped to about 275 when I first put the meat on then rose back to about 300. I cooked them for 2 1/2 hrs then pulled them and wrapped in foil for another 1 /1/2 hrs. Tented the foil and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Then glazed and back on the pit for 15-20 minutes. All 3 racks were perfect. Took 1st place in ribs out of 21 teams. I could have bought 5 more from Noah with the winnings. I absolutely love my PBC. I named it the little black assassin.
Congrats! I'm ready to join this PBC revolution. I tend to like to research things heavily before I make a purchase...I've seen and heard enough. I need one of these.
alfredbot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
16Adams

Remember back during high school football days how there was always a little guy, maybe 5'6" 135# dripping wet in full pads? Remember how he would outwork and stick his helmet jn your earhole and knock you on your ass? My PBC reminds of those days-and that guy. If I wanted it to, my PBC could kick my other cookers off the patio. Luckily my PBC is mild mannered and just sits off to the side and tolerates me rotating andusing the others when its not his turn. :D

And as to burned ribs I have not experienced that. Seems like it should, but it hasn't.

Last edited by 16Adams; 02-18-2013 at 12:40 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I roll mine up and secure with wood skewers suggested by the weber site

Last edited by BBQdisciple; 02-18-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: toothpicks??? what was I thinking
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote