No pork baked beans recipe?

Imp81318

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am planning to smoke my first brisket (a 5-6 lb point I think), and I'm working out the rest of the menu. I've never made baked beans from scratch before, but I'm thinking smoked baked beans cooked uner the brisket sounds about right. The only problem is that some of our guests so not eat pork. Dies anyone have a recommended recipe for baked beans that doesn't include pork/bacon?

Also, if I'm smoking the brisket around 250 how long into the cook should I add the beans to make sure they collect the drippigs? I'm assuming they shouldn't be on the entire duration of the smoke.

With brisket, I would suggest Bush's pinto beans cooked with any extras you like, along with a slab of onion and a pickle, meal I first got in TX years ago, very good, add cornbread if you like

+1 on the Bush's....What I like to do is smoke a little bacon and chop it up in it.

I then cook the beans on the smoker with a foil pan, add some honey, pepper and a shot of jack to the beans.

You can also get Bush's vegetarian beans and put them under the brisket.

While you are not making a vegetarian dish, there will be no pork, just beans and brisket drippings.

How long can/should the beans cook on the smoker? Also, at what temperature (approximately) does the fat really start to render down? I'm trying to figure out when I should add the beans since I'm assuming I don't want to leave them in the smoker for the entire time I'm smoking the brisket.

I wouldn't leave them in there for more than a couple of hours. They'll get too dry otherwise.

I usually make Keri's hog Apple beans (Do a search for it) without any added meat and it always turns out great. If you want to make certain there's no pork, get the vegetarian beans as Madman suggested.

More than one less than two hours. I put them in/under the meat (butt/brisket) when the meat IT is 160-ish and leave there until until wrapping/panning the meat hence the 1-2 hours. I pull the beans and cover until ready to serve and re-heat in oven/grill/smoker if necessary. Beans are pretty forgiving but, get mushy if you over do them.

Wampus has an awesome bake bean recipe using bourbon and peach pie filling Just dont at the pork Bet it would taste good with some briskert

A lot depends on the temperature you cook your brisket at. I tend to make a watery recipe of beans, and cook them for 3 to 4 hours under the meat that I am cooking. I watch the cook, and from time to time, will stir the beans, and make sure the moisture is reducing as I want.

Back