MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #46
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I haven't had a problem with too much pepper since I switched from regular table black pepper to a course ground. 50/50 with kosher salt. My brisket now looks like PitmasterT's . No foil! Pepper mellows with time and smoke. Foil will take this away, so different methods are needed. This is why you can't mix and match.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #47
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
What's lemon pepper?

You are lost my friend, but I shall extend a hand that may change the way you view the rest of your life, starting with a great all purpose rub.

This is what I use for my rub I do add more salt then all the other ingredients

4 Bottles of Mrs Dash lemon pepper its salt free(about 280 grams).

Kirkland Signature Coarse Ground Malabar Black Pepper(300 grams).

Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt(330 grams)

What do you get ? This....

Weighing out your seasoning does work as long as common sense sets in and you know that you will have to compensate more salt because of the granules of the pepper(here's a secret use your eyes). Mix it all together in a ziplock bag, put some in a mason jar for later use and the rest is vac sealed for even later use good luck over seas brotha!

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #48
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
... that it always gets too hot for my wife and especially the kids.

I already tried different ratios, starting with 50/50 salt & black pepper and 50/25/25 salt + black pepper + white pepper, but nevertheless it's still too hot for them every time.

What else can I try not letting any other ingredients disturb that simple but effective flavor profile of just salt & pepper?

I guess it doesn't make sense to just reduce the amount of pepper, because then all that remains is the saltiness.
Umm . . . I do believe that this is where BBQ rub came into being. Adding sugar and other spices tone down the pure salt and pepper.

Just sayin' . . .

I like Plowboy's Yardbird for everything.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #49
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

A lot of good points, be reminded that all the nice products you have over there are not available here in Austria.

I guess my best bet is to try grinding black pepper corns coarsely, but with our table pepper mill this will take ages if I want to pre-grind the equivalent of 1 cup of powdered pepper.

Not directly OT, but where is the thread about brisket without foiling? Will have to reread, although I had good results with foiling at IT ~165°F, if it wasn't for the hotness of the peppers.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #50
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a small pulse type coffee grinder. Any mesh you want.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #51
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't let the availability of things stand in your way. Some of us over here get carried away with ingredients and science. KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #52
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is a particularly nice pic...

Love the color/flavor balance. I'll be making this.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #53
Mklade
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Kosher salt and fresh ground Tellicherry pepper works well--dusted, not rubbed so it's not too strong.
Mklade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #54
BBRick
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
A lot of good points, be reminded that all the nice products you have over there are not available here in Austria.
You can order anything online if you don't mind the shipping (or just go on a holiday ). If you don't want to spend on shipping, there are may good webshops in Germany that carry all kinds of American rubs etc.
You could also make your own Lemon pepper here (Deutsch)
BBRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #55
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRick View Post
You can order anything online if you don't mind the shipping (or just go on a holiday ). If you don't want to spend on shipping, there are may good webshops in Germany that carry all kinds of American rubs etc. You could also make your own Lemon pepper here (Deutsch)
Shipping is just too expensive in most cases, and I tend not not buy ready-made rubs, but mix my own. Most likely I'll be in the US next year, then I'll bring a huge shopping list with me.

Good find for the self-made lemon pepper, I didn't know that it's lemon cest being used, I'll definitely try that for myself.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #56
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
This is a particularly nice pic...

Love the color/flavor balance. I'll be making this.
It does have a great color to it, the amount I make will last me about a month or two smoking every weekend. I feel the specific salt and lemon pepper make it brotha. I took that pic in macro mode on my sgs 3, I wanted to show the distribution of spices it looks good enjoy!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
What's lemon pepper?

That's what we did so far, but they would like to have bark as well.

I already thought about grinding myself, and I already looked but could not find a proper mill that can do "larger" amount (we only have a small battery powered table pepper mill). What machine do you use to grind pepper? I would like to have a universal unit, to be able to grind down my very coarse Sal Marina Natural (that comes in 4.42 lbs bags) as well. Any recommendations?
If you can't find a peppermill to fit your needs you can use the bottom of a heavy skillet to do the cracking. Place the pepper in a plastic bag and then place the skillet on top, apply firm pressure and slide the pan across the pepper in a circular motion, you'll end up with beautifully cracked pepper.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #58
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

So does lemon pepper go well with pork?

Is lemon pepper usually made with black pepper, or blended peppers as well?

Since I never heard of it before I am fascinated by the idea of making my own lemon pepper for using on this weekends pork shoulder roast, and I think I can get a mixture of whole black + white peppers + red berries here locally, so I would like to try such a blended lemon peppers mixture.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #59
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Coarse pepper is very difficult to find here too. I've been to dozen places that don't have it or have it in gallon jugs only. Easiest is for me to go to a local spice store and have them grind it for me. Keep looking. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #60
Irvin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
... As we get into our 20s, the buds start to die off, just like the little hairs inside our ears (cilia). Once they're gone, they don't come back.
I am 68 and Oh how I wish that were true.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote