• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Church Fund raiser

BillyCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys a few of us at my church are thinking about doing a BBQ fund raiser to raise some cash and to spread the good news. Here are some concerns I am having.
1. Our church is on well water and it has been deemed not usably for cooking so we have no kitchen in our church.
2. No one has any type of catering business license or a food handling license
3. Worried about the health department showing up and fining us if we do this.

Here is my initial plan. The church would sell tickets prior to the event for meals. Meals would be simple pulled pork or chicken quarters, and sides like bake beans, macaroni salad, potato salad, coleslaw. All cooked food kept above 140 in coolers or warming cabinets in smokers onsite, and served in typical sterno servers. All cold food kept cold in coolers and ice serving dishes. All water used will be brought in bought from the local supermarket.
I have spoken with one friend that owns a fairly large catering business for the past 40 years and they said it would not be a problem because the church is a nonprofit, and we should not even call the heath department or the county at all.
What is your guy’s advice?

I would absolutely call the heath dept!

In Michigan, whenever you are selling food to the public they need to know about it, doesn't matter non profit or not' Fla may be different

they can advise you, you need to be legal to protect yourself

Technically, a church is not under the supervision of the health department for food that it serves. Note, however, that is specific to serving food. Once you start down the road of selling food, the law becomes a lot more gray. In particular, no kitchen is a bad thing, many health departments will frown on holding food in coolers, hot or cold, due to risks of contamination.

A zealous health inspector could shut you down, and you would have little recourse at that point in time, to serve the food. I would strongly suggest you contact the health department and discuss with them what your plan is. Generally, government officials are a whole lot better to deal with proactively, then when they are surprised.

In Cali, a permit is only required if the event is 2 or more days. Having said that, you're still expected to abide by health code but it's strictly the honor system. I suggest you check in your county and act accordingly.

Technically, a church is not under the supervision of the health department for food that it serves. Note, however, that is specific to serving food. Once you start down the road of selling food, the law becomes a lot more gray. In particular, no kitchen is a bad thing, many health departments will frown on holding food in coolers, hot or cold, due to risks of contamination.

A zealous health inspector could shut you down, and you would have little recourse at that point in time, to serve the food. I would strongly suggest you contact the health department and discuss with them what your plan is. Generally, government officials are a whole lot better to deal with proactively, then when they are surprised.

In Virginia it is, you are only allowed to feed member of a private organization that you belong to with out at least a temp hd permit and must be cooked on site (no transport). That said I've never seen them enforce the law for churches, fire dept etc. My HD Inspector told me that by Virginia Law the way it's written it is actually illegal to cook food for your neighbor and take it next door to them. Again she said it's never been enforced but it is in the books.

All great information guys and looks like I need to investigate further into the regulations.
According to the Florida department of business and professional services I do not need a permit. See below copy and pasted from their website.

Selling or serving food at a temporary event such as a fair, carnival, sporting event, or farmer’s market if:
offering only packaged food/drink, or limited to popcorn, ice or drinks;
the event is located on church or school property; or
the vendor is a civic, fraternal or religious non-profit organization.

That was in the do not need column.
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/Servicesthatrequirealicense-PublicFoodService.html

All great information guys and looks like I need to investigate further into the regulations.
According to the Florida department of business and professional services I do not need a permit. See below copy and pasted from their website.

Selling or serving food at a temporary event such as a fair, carnival, sporting event, or farmer’s market if:
offering only packaged food/drink, or limited to popcorn, ice or drinks;
the event is located on church or school property; or
the vendor is a civic, fraternal or religious non-profit organization.

That was in the do not need column.
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/Servicesthatrequirealicense-PublicFoodService.html

This is the kicker: offering only packaged food/drink, or limited to popcorn, ice or drinks

The above only applies to foods that were prepared/packaged in a licensed facility and you are merely "re-selling" the finished product. You are planning on cooking/serving a "potentially hazardous" food item.

You will need a license or at least need to operate out of a fully licensed facility. You best plan of action would be to contact the local/state HD in person and talk to them. That is the ONLY way to mitigate any possible legal/financial exposure to your personal assets and those of the church.

This is the kicker: offering only packaged food/drink, or limited to popcorn, ice or drinks

The above only applies to foods that were prepared/packaged in a licensed facility and you are merely "re-selling" the finished product. You are planning on cooking/serving a "potentially hazardous" food item.

You will need a license or at least need to operate out of a fully licensed facility. You best plan of action would be to contact the local/state HD in person and talk to them. That is the ONLY way to mitigate any possible legal/financial exposure to your personal assets and those of the church.
I would agree with this analysis. Additionally, in your link above to the permit need table, in the left "permit needed" column is:
"Selling or serving food at a temporary event such as a fair, carnival, sporting event, or farmer’s market." This is the one that impacts you.

Thanks guys maybe this is a push I need to maybe get into this and get my licenses for at lest church events. Probably push this out to the fall to get all of this in order.

I'm reading that "do not need" as 3 separate items, meaning you don't need a permit if your selling food at a fair as long as it's prepackaged, you don't need a permit if you're cooking on church property, you don't need a permit if the vendor is a non profit. Either way, a call to the HD won't hurt. You may find that you don't need one.

Back