MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pricing salad

I have been asked to cook for a small event (70 people) and they want pulled pork, chicken quarters, baked beans, and salad. Yeah, salad.

That one through me. How do you all price salad? I have to check RD and see if they sale a standard bag salad. Any suggestions? Thanks.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Lately, I've been using a Caesar salad. Romaine mixed with caesar dressing and parmesan cheese, then throw in a few croutons at the last minute. Easy, pretty cheap and gets you out of having to have multiple dressing options.

One piece of advice....don't mix the dressing too far in advance. Within an hour or so before serving. It tends to get soggy if left too long.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

RD sells 5 Lb bags of salad mix.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
RD sells 5 Lb bags of salad mix.
Ive never priced salad. Do you do 4 oz servings? Any suggestions would be helpful.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I've found that if you price it as a side and do not provide a separate station or salad plate, simply put it on the buffet with other sides that you will go through about the same amount as you would another side. If you make a salad and pre mix it 3-4lb iceberg lettuce, 2 bell peppers*, 1 large red onion*, 2 large cucumbers*, 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes it will feed 50 people served in this manner. * All sliced thin 1/8" on a mandolin with about 20oz of 2 selections of dressing in squeeze bottles. If you serve another way it will take more. For a salad station we go through about 5lbs of iceberg for every 50 people. The menu will also dictate the amounts as well.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I've found that if you price it as a side and do not provide a separate station or salad plate, simply put it on the buffet with other sides that you will go through about the same amount as you would another side. If you make a salad and pre mix it 3-4lb iceberg lettuce, 2 bell peppers*, 1 large red onion*, 2 large cucumbers*, 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes it will feed 50 people served in this manner. * All sliced thin 1/8" on a mandolin with about 20oz of 2 selections of dressing in squeeze bottles. If you serve another way it will take more. For a salad station we go through about 5lbs of iceberg for every 50 people. The menu will also dictate the amounts as well.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

All my "served" catering jobs include a salad. I use spring mix from the big box stores sold for less then $5 per pound with cherry tomatoes, cukes and red onion added.

All my catering is self serve, we put the salad first in the buffet line. 1 ounce of this mix is a huge pile. Saves the more expensive other food.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
bproffer
Take a breath!

I just price salad as an additional side. And I do as above. For 40-50 people I use two 2 lb. mixed green salad in bags, add bell peppers, red onions, cucumber, and grape or cherry tomatoes. I usually offer 2 types of salad dressing. Salad takes up a lot of room on a plate, so a little goes a long way.

If the client wants a salad bar, the numbers are different.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNation View Post
All my "served" catering jobs include a salad. I use spring mix from the big box stores sold for less then $5 per pound with cherry tomatoes, cukes and red onion added.

All my catering is self serve, we put the salad first in the buffet line. 1 ounce of this mix is a huge pile. Saves the more expensive other food.

I used to use the spring mix and you are correct it goes a long ways. We would use 3 11oz packages for 50 people at a cost of about $14 for the three packs. Then one of my staff members who has worked catering for many years suggested that they have found that most people prefer iceberg and especially men. I prefer the spring mix and thought it added more class/value to what I was giving the client. So I started asking people what they prefer and shocking to me I found most prefer Iceberg which was fine with me because it reduces cost by over 60%.