Welding My Oklahoma Joe Fire Box At Home With A Hobby Welder

Mark In The Pit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlrYEQ5_t6o&feature=youtu.be"]Welding My Oklahoma Joe Offset Smoker At Home - YouTube[/ame]

So... When I first put this smoker together I used regular old furnace cement to seal up around the firebox. That didn't work out so great. I didn't account for warping of the metal and the constant slamming of the firebox door which caused the cement to crack as it doesn't have any give.

I have used it before on the back corner of a vertical smoker and that lasted a few seasons. It also is still working great on the smoke stack of this Oklahoma Joe smoker because there is no warping or banging close to that area where the cement is adhered to the metal.

I have used the RTV before and fiberglass rope and just about every other type of glue or epoxy from every other youtube video with previous offset smokers. I didn't want to do that this time. Half of the time it doesn't work or works, just not well. I wanted something permanent and tough and quick that didn't require me to dissemble the smoker.

I thought about welding. I haven't seen any videos where anyone tries to weld on store bought smoker at home. Thought I would give it a try. I have no experience welding. Don't take my advise. This was all very new to me.

I hope you find the video helpful or at least interesting.

Back