A bone to pick on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
After cleaning out the freezer a bit, of course the commissary would have a sale on spare ribs and butts. :roll:

I picked up a couple racks of spares and a smaller butt.

Broke out some Kosmos Dirty Bird and Wicken Yanks Original for a 1/2 'n 1/2 rack.

Ffze0Dzl.jpg

After a few hours over hickory and a brief wrap with some apple sauce:

Eaqo1Qvl.jpg

They're resting in a warm oven while CINCHOUSE whips up sides:

A broccoli salad and a hot corn/cheese/jalapeño dish. More on those as she works her magic.

It's been a good day. Kind regards and thin blue.

I had to take a half step back on the half and half until I refocused, Marc. :-D

Rock on, Brother! :thumb:

Last edited:
The bones look worthy of picking and those sides sound pretty Tastee too. :thumb: Let us know which 1/2 wins the people's choice.

You may have to eat on the sofa because you won't be able to walk there after that meal. No doubt that you will be the envy on the High Plains tonight. I had something similar to the corn dish you mentioned, but it was corn, jalapenos and bacon. Now that was tasty and I have since replicated it a couple of times. I'll bet yours will kick butt as well.

Looks and sounds like you will be eating well.
Watched a Lady on TV yesterday Tandoori some Broccoli with a Batter,
I thought, Broccoli salad at the time.

Nice Marc! Finished pics?!? How is wrapping with apple sauce? Never done it....

Sorry... folks wanted to eat before I posted... :roll: Pfffft. Some people's kids. :tsk:

JJBQqUUl.jpg

c8t5g0wl.jpg

It's interesting that broccoli salad becomes infinitely more difficult to make when there's no broccoli in the house. :shock: BossLady suddenly realized she'd missed something on her list.

The Jalapeño Corn Thing (Link: Recipe) was RIDICULOUS. Mind you, she used 1 can of corn vs. 1 bag of frozen, and also used about 1/4 of diced instead of 2 seeded & diced jalapeños - that would blow the munchkin's head off, and could get ugly quick.

The Dirty Bird was delicious, and perfect for the kid. Our Wicken Yanks Original rub is still the family (adult) favorite. It's modeled after Fresh Market's "Everything Goes Rub."

Almost time for rote grütze - a throwback memory from our time living in Germany.

tQa3meQl.jpg

Sorry, Clay - I started using the Texas Crutch on ribs with apple juice a while ago.... then the family grew and one weekend I'd forgotten the apple juice... but the monkey still had a squeeze packet of apple sauce. It's been my go-to since. I just squeeze it out in the middle of the foil and put the ribs over it (concave side down)... wrap it up tight. Nice amount of moisture, but not entirely juice. Ask more questions if I didn't quite get there for you.

Oh, how I've missed this...

tKGWQGYl.jpg

Rote Grütze

Just put a bag of frozen mixed berries in a corning ware dish and wack it in the oven on 350 for about 15-20 minutes (ours was frozen in a block... so it took a while longer) until it reduces a bit and everything is soft. Give it a bit of a mash-up with a fork or other implement. Divide into bowls and add either whole cream, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream - your choice.

Danke, Mutter Leser und Omi!

I would be tempted to pour a pancake batter in with that berry mix for the last ten minutes or so

Fantastic from beginning to end! :clap2: That Wicken Yanks rub looks very interesting - I'm guessing it's very herb-y? Anyway - the mains, the sides, the dessert - yessir!

That Wicken Yanks rub looks very interesting - I'm guessing it's very herb-y?

Mmmmmm... not quite, but it's fennel-based. (Interesting, as CINCHOUSE doesn't like anise/black licorice very much).

There's plenty of paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, a bit of mint, and even some star anise.

Hope this finds you well.

^^^That sounds like a cool break from the usual suspects. Bigmista had his perfect pork rub that had cinnamon and probably some of those other ingredients in it - by far one of my favorite rubs for pork - esp. ribs - to this day, albeit unavailable.

Just thinking there could be Wiccan Yanks with eye of newt and whatnot in it. :heh:

Back