Highland or Podunk ? - Northeast contest opinions/plans

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Well, aside from Grill Kings on 7/15-16, I'm looking to do 1-3 more contests in the Northeast for 2006...

We can't back to back's as my brother in law has major problems getting off two weekends straight in the summer. So, that rules out Guitarbeque (7/8) and Harpoon(7/22). Not sure what the deal will be for Arlie's Mohegan Sun gig if that gets confirmed. I'm still hoping to judge Guitarbeque and Harpoon may be a nice road trip for just the Sunday if things fall into place especially if other Brethren will compete.

That leaves our other choices: Podunk Festival (8/5-6) and Highland Ribfest (8/19-20) - websites are not updated yet but I did get date confirmations. I know some of you did one or both of these last year. It may very well work out that we can make both, but if you could only make one of them, which would you choose and why ?

The only other options that I have not put much thought into yet would be New Holland Summerfest PA (8/25-26) and Lowell,MA (9/9-10).

Thoughts/your contest plans as of today etc ???

I like Highland much more then Podunk.

Podunk does have bluegrass music.

But Highland had a pool and showers.

BrooklynQ said:
I like Highland much more then Podunk.

Podunk does have bluegrass music.

But Highland had a pool and showers.

And flies...
lots of flies

I'm not sure but I don't think Podunk is going to happen this year. There is a contest at Lake Placid over the July 4th weekend, looks like I'll be busy in July cooking 4 contest's.

My favorite contest's are Harpoon, free beer and all you can drink. It's a great site with large spaces, power and water, free beer, free ice, breakfast and dinner and did I mention free beer. If you don't want to go to the beer tent and get your free beer they give you a case a day to save on your walking.

The other is New Holland it's a great site with all the hospitality the Amish can offer. The best breakfast and the kids-Q is pretty cool. It gets a big field ( largest in the North East, last year about 55 teams) so bring your "A" cooking game.

LostNation said:
I'm not sure but I don't think Podunk is going to happen this year. There is a contest at Lake Placid over the July 4th weekend, looks like I'll be busy in July cooking 4 contest's.

My favorite contest's are Harpoon, free beer and all you can drink. It's a great site with large spaces, power and water, free beer, free ice, breakfast and dinner and did I mention free beer. If you don't want to go to the beer tent and get your free beer they give you a case a day to save on your walking.

The other is New Holland it's a great site with all the hospitality the Amish can offer. The best breakfast and the kids-Q is pretty cool. It gets a big field ( largest in the North East, last year about 55 teams) so bring your "A" cooking game.

No Beer at New Holland. Correct????

Smoker said:
No Beer at New Holland. Correct????

Just like most contests you have to be discrete (red cups). Last year I made five gallons of DRBBQ's Bahama Mamma's that I took to the cooks dinner.

Is that the hihgland show at the ulster fairgrounds??? If so that's the one I want to come and visit as it's very close to where I live. Not this year, but maybe next year, even try to get into the competition. yeah right...anyway. Please keep the board informed if any of you go to that competition. would love to meet up, shake a hand and learn something. scott

The KCBS site has Highland Ribfest listed as the NYS Championship this year. I thought the Grillkings event was the New York State Championship. I guess the Grillkings winner doesn't get an invite to the Royal and the Jack Daniels this year. Oh, and Scott it is at the Ulster County Fairgrounds.

Both Highland and Grill Kings will be state championships. When theres' more than one championship, then there's a rule to determine who goes to the AR and JD. I don't know how it's determined so would one of our more seasoned KCBS pros chime in?

BrooklynQ said:
Both Highland and Grill Kings will be state championships. When theres' more than one championship, then there's a rule to determine who goes to the AR and JD. I don't know how it's determined so would one of our more seasoned KCBS pros chime in?

Multiple state champs go into a drawing. those drawn first goes to the Jack or AR.

not sure yet. As of today, probably not.. but it depends on how the schedule runs.

...Chiming in, and, I have to say, Podunk is one of my favorite events to cook. Way fun, lots of friends, and some good tunes, along with plenty of stuff to keep the guests, old and young, busy while you turn in. There are also showers and a pool. BUT, the latest news from the organizer says that it will NOT be held in conjunction with, or on the grounds of, the Bluegrass Festival this year. And, it won't be in August, either. They were thinking sometime in June, hopefully 1 to 2 wknds away from another event. Rumors are that it will be sponsored by a motorcycle place, and held in their lot. I, for one, would hate to lose this event; we have a pretty good track record there; but, hey, crap happens, especially when politicians are involved. I have only heard great things about New Holland, Guitar-B-Q, and Highland. We were cooking too much last year to be able to get out to those places, but this year is another story...we are trying to get to all three of those competitions.Basically, if I had to pick ONE qualifier (if that is what you are looking for) from New England...Harpoon first and foremost, without question. New Hampshire is excellent too, and then I guess Lowell....but rent yer own porta-potty folks. There are also a few others that are held in fantastic spots, with big competition, great organization, and some prize money too. Check out Hyannis, Falmouth, and, OOB this year. If anyone is a KCBS CBJ, and is interested in judging any of the New England contests this year, please let me, or anyone in NEBS, know, we will get you on the list. Thanks fer listening.....michelle

BBQchef33 said:
not sure yet. As of today, probably not.. but it depends on how the schedule runs.

Phil,

If you decide to do Highland again this year, I will bring you the brownies this time, and you don't have to let Will and Chris know about them!

And just as a reminder, pay attention to turn in times at Highland!

Back