MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #46
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I have never once heard anyone talk about trying to get an invite to the King Of Smokers contest. I am glad you guys all had a great time at the event.
We were not there...lol! You missed the "In my humble opinion" part...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #47
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedelic View Post
Trust me, they'll talk about it now...

some how I doubt it.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #48
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Really??? King of Smokers, Sam's, World Food Championships??

Not to disrespect people's opinions but, they've only been around a couple years. You'll find just as many (if not more) teams with amazing track records at the Jack, MIM, and the Royal.

Not to discount those contests, but the prestige of contests is built by the skill of the teams competing AND age. In order of oldest to youngest: The Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, the Royal, and the Jack are BBQ institutions...that creates prestige.

Wait ten years and ask this question again...I bet you ten bucks the four listed above will still be around, and still be considered the most prestigious in BBQ, where as many of the others; Sam's, World Food, King of Smokers...will be in the ash pan. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them lasting the decades the Legendary 4 have.
I agree with most of what you said and said as much back on page one. However the original question was what is the "biggest/most respected bbq comp" and that does not always coincide with what is the oldest/most prestigious.
I agree with and like what you referred to as " the Legendary 4". But to say that a contest cannot be considered to be one of the most respectable for no other reason than longevity i think, is off base.
I have no idea how long some of these contests will be around but happen think that any title paying $50k to a team that wins a 3 round tournament of some of the best teams in the country has my respect.
As for KOS, when you have cooks the caliber of a Rod Gray talking about how great a contest he did not win was on the ride home, I think it might be a just a little bit special.
Now if we ask the question in ten years as you suggest, these newer contest still won't IMO have the same status as "the 4" but they will have had a pretty good run. If we're saying the same thing 20 years from now, then they might be approaching Legendary. To say that they can't be respected now because they are in their early years though, I don't think is fair.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #49
wingpirate
Knows what a fatty is.

No hate here, I honestly have never heard of King Of Smokers. I guess I'll need to look that one up.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here are my thoughts:

To dismiss the KOS event is foolishness. The competition there is as stiff as it gets IMHO. I have my invite to AR; I have a couple of Bungs in the barrel for the Jack and I am hoping to be considered for the next KOS event.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I know you cali guys have to stick up for each other, but no one is over looking that event or dismissing it or anything else. By all account was a really great contest and one that a lot of people want to attend.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
some how I doubt it.
Because you weren't there...

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #53
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Always fun to get an invite to the Nude n Q'd, sponsored by The Cheetah III in Atlanta.

Prestigious... If you have enough money; sure is.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #54
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I agree with most of what you said and said as much back on page one. However the original question was what is the "biggest/most respected bbq comp" and that does not always coincide with what is the oldest/most prestigious.
I agree with and like what you referred to as " the Legendary 4". But to say that a contest cannot be considered to be one of the most respectable for no other reason than longevity i think, is off base.
I have no idea how long some of these contests will be around but happen think that any title paying $50k to a team that wins a 3 round tournament of some of the best teams in the country has my respect.
As for KOS, when you have cooks the caliber of a Rod Gray talking about how great a contest he did not win was on the ride home, I think it might be a just a little bit special.
Now if we ask the question in ten years as you suggest, these newer contest still won't IMO have the same status as "the 4" but they will have had a pretty good run. If we're saying the same thing 20 years from now, then they might be approaching Legendary. To say that they can't be respected now because they are in their early years though, I don't think is fair.

Like I said, totally my opinion. A few people in the thread started throwing around the word "Prestigious"

The King of the Smoker looks like a great contest...I had to look it up to know exactly what it was, and I know ALOT about what goes on in BBQ.

Do I consider it a respectable contest, yes after reading about it I do...Do I consider it the MOST respectable or even one of the MOST respectable...not at all. Give it a few years to earn street cred and maybe it could be, who knows.

If I were to create the "WORLD BBQ BOWL", get a bunch of sponsors to put up a $150,000 prize, and invite the absolute best in BBQ to compete for it...would that make it the MOST respectable contest? Some would say yes because the "best" are there...I would say no because it needs time to mature and gain respect and status as a contest...

Like I said, just my opinion.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #55
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post

If I were to create the "WORLD BBQ BOWL", get a bunch of sponsors to put up a $150,000 prize, and invite the absolute best in BBQ to compete for it...would that make it the MOST respectable contest? Some would say yes because the "best" are there...I would say no because it needs time to mature and gain respect and status as a contest...

Like I said, just my opinion.
Sam's is closely doing that. 750 teams down to 1. And it doesn't have to be an invite either. Just quick with the computer at sign-in time. This does not mean that I find it the most respectable contest. I haven't been to one to form an opinion.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Sam's is closely doing that. 750 teams down to 1. And it doesn't have to be an invite either. Just quick with the computer at sign-in time. This does not mean that I find it the most respectable contest. I haven't been to one to form an opinion.
But again, you must be a KCBS member to do Sam's. So its not the "Best in BBQ", its the bestin KCBS.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote