• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Yep, you sucked me into trying this as well. It has been on my list but I have always put it off. It just so happened that I was out and about last night at Sam's looking at the spices when I realized I needed to make up some more rub. Someone had posted in this thread yesterday so it was fresh in my head. So, after Sam's came a trip to Whole Foods. Holy Fark! I spent $16 and didn't even get the dulse granules because they were out. Have you ever tried to mimic herbamare? Also, aside from tracking down the dulse, the only thing I would have to order would be the Barker chile powder. Would there be a comparable local substitute?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yep, this is not a hot rub. This is my all purpose rub that even the weenies (my wife) can tolerate. I made it that way after taking some sage advice that not everyone likes getting their tongue blasted, but everyone likes flavor. I'm a chile head so all my rubs a few years back tended toward the hot end of the spectrum.

We put it on damn near everything here. Except for when we are trying to dwindle down the supply of other rubs we have on hand!

The fact it's not a hot rub is the reason my wife likes it. I can handle the heat, but if she try's a seasoning or rub and it makes her tongue tingle, she will not go for it.

Yep, you sucked me into trying this as well. It has been on my list but I have always put it off. It just so happened that I was out and about last night at Sam's looking at the spices when I realized I needed to make up some more rub. Someone had posted in this thread yesterday so it was fresh in my head. So, after Sam's came a trip to Whole Foods. Holy Fark! I spent $16 and didn't even get the dulse granules because they were out. Have you ever tried to mimic herbamare? Also, aside from tracking down the dulse, the only thing I would have to order would be the Barker chile powder. Would there be a comparable local substitute?
That sucks that they were out of Dulse Granules.

That Whole Paycheck place is rough on the wallet indeed, that's why you might want to look online.

I have not tried to mimic Herbamare because it would be very difficult. The way they do it, they take the juice from a bunch of flavorful fresh herbs and vegetables, mix it with salt and then dry the salt out. So you wind up with only white salt granules, but they have flavor in them that is unlike anything else.

Your best substitute option for the Barker chile powder is going with a really good New Mexico Chile Powder. You could make your own if you want. I used to do this actually, until I got the Barker from Da Gift Basket. I thought it worked better.

Interesting, I have not tried teh Herbamare yet. I just read the ingredients and they seemed to be pretty common components in rubs. Luckily I have a friend that works at Whole Second Mortgage so he is trying to find me the dulse granules and he can get me stuff when I need it again at a discount.

The Herbamare is a common product in Canada. They have it at the regular grocery stores and it is dirt cheap, at least compared to what they sell it for here. That said, did I remember to buy any and bring it back with me on any of my last trips? :doh: Dulse is also a Nova Scotia product. :doh: :doh: Chris, are you sure you're from Kansas?

The Herbamare is a common product in Canada. They have it at the regular grocery stores and it is dirt cheap, at least compared to what they sell it for here. That said, did I remember to buy any and bring it back with me on any of my last trips? :doh: Dulse is also a Nova Scotia product. :doh: :doh: Chris, are you sure you're from Kansas?

If you're not in Kansas anymore, then you might be able to ask the Wizard
about the Herbamare.......just follow the Yellow Brick Road........

Which one is Guerry?

6a0105349ca980970c0133f11a6107970b-500wi

I ordered the stuff I need to make it last night. When it gets here, it's on! :clap2:

So, you ordered enough stuff to make like 5# right? You interested in vac sealing a bag or two up and shipping it this way? I'm sure we could work something out.

^^^I should have everything to make it this weekend & I'll holler - if you don't hear from me by Mon. or Tues. PM me. :thumb:

I am here to say you can ost to old threads... Just be cautios and add content.

I've been meaning to post about foil hat rub, but I'm a lazy bastige. I made some up a while back. I gotta say it's pretty amazing. Whatever I use it on, my thought isn't "this rub is amazing", it's more like "this (chicken/steak/pork chop etc.) is amazing". It seems to truly enhance the flavor of what it is you're cooking/eating without taking over the dish.

Biggy, I have no idea how you came up with this stuff, it must have taken a lot of time and effort, but it really is fantastic. I'll never be without it. Thanks for putting up the recipe :clap2: (not to mention your other amazing contributions to Qtalk - now WP, that's another matter entirely :tsk:)

Anybody who hasn't checked Foil Hat out should make a batch - you'll be glad you did. :hungry:

^^^I should have everything to make it this weekend & I'll holler - if you don't hear from me by Mon. or Tues. PM me. :thumb:

Fark. I never heard from you and I never chased you down. :doh: A missed opportunity.

This is still on my list of things to try. Got the recipe saved separately in a special place. Having to brave the traffic and people at Whole Foods is probably my biggest issue. I am curious about the 1part X-Hot Barker New Mexico Chile Powder. You say this isn't hot. My wife doesn't like ANY heat. I'm tempted to substitute something a little more mild...

Life would be so much simpler if you could convince one of our brethren who is already selling rubs to get this packaged up for you. How much more work could it be. :crazy: I would try it.

Back