MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rib Tips - Food truck or Roadside vending trailer

I think we all know BBQ meats outside of pulled pork don't offer a great profit margin.. Especially Ribs and Brisket.. It also brings the challenges of cooking times/holding, along with major preparation.

What are all your opinions on specializing pretty much solely on rib tip plates.

Restaurant Depot normally runs them under 1 dollar a pound for cases.

Haven't run the math, but it sure seems like the Profit margin on them could get you to where you'd like to be especially with the many creative pricing options I think rib tips would offer.

I absolutely love tearing in to rib tips, but I can see where many folks, especially the downtown lunch crowd could find the cartilage and rendered fatty goodness off putting a long with the general messy eating rib tips can be.

Don't have a lot of time ATM today to really go in to all the details as I'd like but I wanted to get it out there or I never will and have been meaning to for a while.

My ideal is dry rubbed - 2,3,or 4 specialty sauces would be offered on the side for dunking or drowning it.

I think rib tips would hold fairly well without losing too much quality compared to some other more expensive cuts that would also benefit from much more expensive holding units that I don't believe rib tips would require especially with the short serving window of around 3 or 4 hr max lunch service.

I believe the more simplicity menu of specializing in rib tip plates could provide the speed needed to push them out the window at a pretty quick rate to keep the line moving at a nice pace. Nothing can be worse to your business I would imagine is a long slow moving line when your target coustomer is on a time restricted lunch hr.

I'll get in to them at a later time when I have more, but I have a few other menu ideals that I think can be incorporated that would still keep the theme as KISS as possible along with profit margins that could be attractive as well as hopefully attractive options to the lunch crowd customer.

Even if the Business Idea and numbers add up half arse on paper, I totally realize the journey is a very long one to legalization and such. I think the best way in to these crazy thoughts for the last ten yrs of food vending and catering is to KISS as possible while still finding your niche and executing it as simple as possible.

Enough rambling.. Now tear in to me like a plate of rib tips and tell me how naive I am to even be thinking about doing this and to keep my crappy day job.

Thanks so much all and have a smoking weekend!
rocky2298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, rib tips are a great item, as long as you are in a region that enjoys them, and understands what they are. They are not a good seller out here in my part of the world. However, I understand that they are very popular in the Midwest.

And they are certainly cheap, and actually if served dry, are pretty easy to eat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

I think they may take a moment to catch on a little but after getting a glimpse of a pile high of them plated up I think we could suck them in.. And I do agree they are pretty easy to eat if served dry. Still might not be the most convenient things to eat on lunch but damn they sure are worth possibly getting a little messy for IMO.

Just trying to think of something a little different that can be kept KISS and still create a fun BBQ product that potentially can offer a decent return.

Them boneless chicken thighs are tasty and could also provide a nice return if incorporated right and kept KISS.. RD runs them well under a buck a lb regularly.

I think keeping it a simple menu could also potentially help keep the cost down of opening operating equipment expenses to start to hopefully not be in any bigger of a money pit? But I can't be sure of that by any means.

Just trying to throw some things out here to see if anything sticks and at least gets me pointed in the right direction to start as I'm pretty raw to this outside of living the dream through all that took the plunge over many of yrs on this priceless forum.

I truly and greatly appreciate any and all time everybody graciously provides all across this forum.

What do you think a small serving size would be? Would a pound be a good starting point? Maybe offer a couple or three size plate prices? Or maybe let them say how much money of a plate they like? start at maybe a 5 dollar minimum? <---That pricing option could get hairy i envision though?

Not sure what sides I'd like to offer but I think continuation of KISS and convenience some what to eating should be priority. A couple cold salads maybe, one being a coleslaw? Tater salad? Beans? Could almost incorporate tips in to the beans and make then a bowl meal almost I'd think.

Well that's it for now! I have a million things I could ramble on about but I'd like to start out slow and hear any and all anybody has to offer first.

Thanks so much and I hope you had a great Saturday.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
landarc

I'd take a look at how the places in Chicago sell them. It's been a key part of their business. Personally, I like BBQ sold by weight. Makes it simple.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Bigmista

Unless you are in Chicago, I would have another item.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

I think folks loose touch with rib tips real quick the further you get from Chicago.

I moved from up there to very Southern Illinois and when I mention rib tips folks look at me like I am half nuts.... and I'm in the same state!!

I would tear up a plate of rib tips by the pound like there is no tomorrow. But I have to agree, that is a from Joliet up to Chicago type of staple.

Take care!

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

I hear you loud and clear folks and thank you very much for all the feedback. Been a tough week so haven't been back until now.

I so have the drive to make BBQ vending a go but, I just don't have the brass to go at it myself, yet.. If anybody in South East, WI has any interest in talking future endeavor prospects I'm all ears.

Have a Excellent Mothers Day weekend all!
Thanks from:--->